Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old December 8th, 2009, 05:01 PM

Jasper and Timber's first fish experience

I've been feeding the boys raw chicken and sorts on the weekends now, slowly introducing them to raw. They absolutely love it.

So in celebration of my birthday yesterday, I decided to try some raw fish for the first time. I don't know that I would call it a success, but it was pretty funny to watch.

I was all excited thinking about how much they were going to love it. I chopped into bit size pieces, put it in their bowl, and made them wait patiently until I said it was ok to eat. When I said the magic "ok" they rushed to their bowls, but were then pretty apprehensive about trying it.

They would sniff it, and then look back at me. Take a lick, and then look at each other. Then they would check out each other's bowl (which are only about an inch apart in the stand) as if to say "hey, did you get the same crap I did?"

Needless to say, not exactly the reaction I was hoping for or expecting.

So I raided the fridge looking for something more tasty that I could mix in there for them. I decided to make it into a "soup" by added in a raw egg to each bowl. It looked completely gross .
However, they seemed to like it much better and gobbled up.

The funniest part was a few minutes later while my husband and I were eating our dinner. Jasper and Timber were sitting side by side and decided to start licking each other's mouths which must have still tasted like fish. It was kinda gross, and kinda cute, all at the same time.

Yep, that's my boys!
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:17 PM

that's so funny!

I know with my kids the 1st time I introduced them to raw (about 4 weeks ago) they couldn't believe their good luck!

When I first gave my little guy a marrow bone he was so thrilled he ran around the house with it in his mouth for hours before actually laying down and gnawing on it! It was just the cutest thing...!!
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Silly pups.

I don't cut it up jag chews it up right away.ginger takes it runs to her crate drops the fish then come right back body wagging then sits for a second one.good thing the floor is easy to clean.

They will get used to it.
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:39 PM
-

LOL ....too funny .....but how come no pics.

Btw, I know you're from Ontario but please read what I posted in this thread about salmon and other anadromous fish from the West Coast that may have parasites that can be fatal to dogs ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67197

Always ensure you know where the fish you buy comes from ....if it's not on the label, then ask the store or meat dept manager.
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the tip Rainbow!
There's so much to remember - I've started a new spreadsheet in my doggy folder titled "FISH".
I know, I'm such a geek