Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

I hate "crackbook"!

I remember someone said either you don't get it, or you're addicted to it. Stupid Facebook! I think in the last two weeks, I've been to bed before 1 am twice! I figure in about another week or two, the novelty will wear off when people stop finding me, but until then...*yawn*

I did find one side-effect. I'm hearing from people who I didn't want to ever talk to again. I got an e-mail from an ex-girlfriend who...well, let's just say, things did not go well. Were the situation between us reversed, I'd have been accused of abuse and so on and so forth. I went through a lot of anguish. A buddy's wife apparently said she should e-mail me. I have a feeling it was probably one of those "I don't think he'd want to hear from me" "Oh, I'm sure he'd be fine, you should contact him". Well, 18 years later, turns out I'm still a little bitter. Hunh, who knew?

I also think it's funny that it got blocked at work. About three days after I signed up, I had a couple of people come tell me it got blocked by the bank I work for...I guess that shows why!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:22 AM
-

sorry Schwinn ! But when people contact you, you can refuse to respond ? You refuse the "invitation" ?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:50 PM
Remembering Lukka

I remember starting that thread about Facebook. I did try it but my computer doesn't like the site and constantly freezes if I log in so my addiction never got off the ground I don't even try to go there now, too much of a headache to reboot.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:23 PM
Queen

Wierd I hear so much about facebook but i'm hesitant to join. I kind of want to get in contact with a couple of really nice people from when I was like 17 but I don't want to put my full name in because there are definitely some people I wouldn't even want reminded that I exist!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to admit I have not had the time to look - and in a way I know I won't have time so I dare not look at another site!! There are too many on my list now!! Why is it addicting Schwinn? And what is all the hype about?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:05 PM

I like it because I've found people that I went to school with over 11 years ago and lost touch with....there are a lot of interesting groups and funny discussions happening. But I like it to stay in touch with everyone....
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I can refuse to respond, but it's more even acknowledging certain people. Then of course there'd be the whole conversation with people "Why haven't you answered so-and-so" etc. Really not a big deal, more of an annoyance.

I think it's addicting, at first, anyway, because people are anxious to see who's contacted them, who remembers them. Let's face it, humans are an insecure lot, and no matter how much we deny it, we all want to think we've made an impact on everyone we've met, and be acknowledged as "that long lost friend". Once it dies down, I'm sure the addiction does to.

Then of course, there's the secret hope that the ex who dumped you gained a few hundred pounds and is living a lonely life of solitude...
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:10 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't know.. I've had facebook for four years now, and I'm just as, if not more addicted then when I first joined.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
Money's Mommy

I love it. I've found people from elementary school from different provinces. Its interesting to see how people have changed. Usually, when the conversations start to get to the point of "why havent you answered me back blah blah blah" I usually gear it towards "well, it was definately nice to chat with you once again. Hope everything works out well for you and we'll talk soon. Bye." Soon for me though means a birthday / Christmas / New Years / Etc / Etc. greeting throughout the whole year just to let them know your alive and that your wishing them well. It works a lot of the time instead of just letting the other person hanging on the other end.
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

The one thing I do like is it's easier to update everyone on Grace, without trying to send out 100 e-mails. I can just update the pictures online, and those interested can go see them.

I haven't gotten involved in a lot of the other aspects of Facebook, yet. I'm afraid to, because I'm sure that will prolong the addiction, and I really need to start getting to bed the same day I get up! (must stop...falling asleep...in gym...)