Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 31st, 2011, 01:36 PM

Puppy Sleeping

Hey guys,

I had a bit of a weird experience with my new puppy these past couple of days. Since last Thursday she started sleeping in her kennel (door open) without hesitation and was even sleep through almost all of the night (6-7 hours before waking us, she's 11 weeks old). We thought this was great and it continued until last night. She wokes us almost every 2 hours and dragged all of the bedding out of her kennel onto the floor and slept there. The only thing that I can think of that we changed was we used to put her bulley stick in the kennel when we went to bed, and we didn't do that last night. We also tried to keep her from napping in the evening to help ensure that she was tired. Any ideas as the dramatic switch back?
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:49 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What was your temperature like last night? I know here it was hotter than blazes! That may have done it for her.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:13 PM

yeah it was warmer here than it has been, enough that I had to pull one blanket off of the bed. Beyond any kind of A/C, any way to help rectify this?
Old May 31st, 2011, 08:27 PM

If it's a warm night, she might actually be more comfortable sleeping in the kennel if you don't put a blanket on the bottom.
Kind of like choosing a cool tiled floor, rather than carpet
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:16 AM

We were informed by our trainers that she has probably figured out that if she cries then we'll get up. We were letting her wake us for when she needed to go out, which went well for up until this past Sunday. They informed us to just ignore her, which the g/f tried to do last night (it was my night to have ear plugs in) but the puppy cried for apparently 2 hours straight. She was then put in her kennel with the door closed, which we haven't do before, and she seemed to calm down and was quiet for the rest of the night. The new plan is to close the kennel on her and wake up twice to take her outside, hoping that she doesn't freak out