Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 14th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Question Problem grooming cat

Hi everyone,

Roxy, my sister's cat, has matted fur on her...let's say behind. Last year my sister took her to a groomer to get them cut off. Roxy growled and wasn't happy about the whole thing but all in all, it wasn't so bad, my sister was proud of Roxy's behaviour (considering Roxy's personality ) and the mats were gone.

This year, same groomer but Roxy wasn't happy AT ALL She hissed, growled and scratched the groomer and my sister. My sister was told to get tranquillizers from the vet because it was impossible to trim her fur. Roxy only gets her bum trimmed because of the mats; the rest of her fur isn't trimmed. I know brushing is best to prevent mats but Roxy doesn't even like to be brushed She won't run and hide, she will turn on you, growl and swat you

Do you have any tips? My sister will call another groomer whose speciality is cats but maybe she will refuse to see Roxy after hearing about all this. My sister will also call the vet but frankly, the tranquillizer solution is a bit scary.

Also, is it a good thing for my sister to be there while the grooming is being done or is it best for her to leave the room?

I've never had this problem, my girls, Kira and Jadzia have short hair

Thanks!
Old July 14th, 2010, 02:29 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

If it is just her butt that is matting couldn't she try to doing it herself? Maybe have a friend hold her and pet her while she trims the fur gently? If it is kept cut short on a regular basis then there shouldn't be an issue with the matting. It doesn't have to be done all at once. A bit at a time sometimes gets the job done faster. I know that doesn't make sense but it's true.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I use the one and only groomer in my town that does cats, and she even says in her literature that she does the cat "only if it is willing"....by that she means not causing bodily harm to her or the cat.

She has always told me that if ALL the cats she did were as co-operative as the 2 Maine Coons she does for me, her life would be a breeze.

Right from the first time I used her, she advised against the use of any traquilizers before grooming because it could hide any real distress that may occur during the groom. She also told me that my guys behaviour is completely different when I am not in the room with them......less acting out and trying to get to mommy!

If all the kitty needs is the butt area trimmed, why not try what 14+ advises. When the cat is quiet and sitting in a favourite place, use small scissors (I have a pair about 2" long) and trim up just a bit at a time. Not enough to make kitty angry as you will lose ground that way...but just keep at it and once it is completely trimmed, it should be easy to keep it that way.

With heavy double coats on 3 of my guys, trimming the butt area is sometimes necessary after a messy trip to the litter box.

Good luck, and patience!!!!!
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
She has always told me that if ALL the cats she did were as co-operative as the 2 Maine Coons she does for me, her life would be a breeze.
She also told me that my guys behaviour is completely different when I am not in the room with them......less acting out and trying to get to mommy!
You are so lucky! My sister told me she saw other cats who weren't bothered at all. Good to know about their behaviour when you are not in the same room, it might be worth a try...
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Catlover2

Helene4, With a cat that is as cranky as Roxy, 14+K has the right idea. A little at a time usually works best.

Having said that, if the mats are reeally bad and as you say next to the skin, and you want to get rid of them all at once, a "stitch ripper" (available at a sewing or fabric store) is a great little tool to gently get a mat out. It has a tiny blade and by poking it into the mat and gently pulling it up toward you it gradually cuts the mat without any danger of cutting the skin. Sometimes a mat is so close to skin tho, that you do have to let it grow out a bit.
The secret to having no mats, is that once you've got them out, you really do have to groom a longhaired cat a minimum of once a day (twice is even better). It's a quick groom to run a grooming comb through the coat.
Here's an example of the type of comb that works well. I've found most cats prefer combing to a wire brush, and it works better.
http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....-flypage-31097

If the fur is clean it is not as likely to mat. If Roxy really detests baths, you can freshen the coat with "cat wipes" (also great for people that have cat allergies)
http://www.achooallergy.com/pets-quickbathforcats.asp

If the mats are just in her breeches area, you could wrap her up in a towel like a mummy or newborn baby--- but with back end exposed, have someone hold her and her back legs still, and you remove the mats. This way you avoid being bitten or scratched---tho don't wrap her head.

I also agree that you should not use tranquillizers.

But do give her the yummiest treats after grooming, whatever she likes best, a bit of cheese, even ice-cream, cat treats. Don't give her treats at any other time. Hopefully, you can get her mind turned around that grooming is pleasurable or at least tolerable and treats are coming! Try to maintain your cool and speak to her in a gentle voice, telling her how beautiful she's going to look. Good luck!

For people that have or are considering a long haired cat, as part of their training, it's best to get them accustomed to being groomed every day, as kittens, even though their coats don't really need grooming, and always finish with a little treat. Believe me they will look forward to it and get excited when they see you coming with the grooming comb or calling them to come to you!

quincymycat, to keep your cat's breeches clean, trim back about 1-1/2" from around the anus. (blunt-nose or moustache scissors work well) This will help a lot.
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:44 AM

Thank you catlover2, I will forward this info to my sister. Roxy was rescued as an adult (1 year old???) and I'm pretty sure she was never brushed when she was a kitten. I rescued her and kept her for 3 months, until I could get her spayed and my sister could take her. The only times I was able to brush her was when she was in heat (every 2 weeks ) At those times, she couldn't get enough belly rubs and she loved the brush! Anyway, my sister will try cutting a little at a time and always keep the area trimmed to prevent these mats.
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Thanks 14+kitties. She tried doing it herself when Roxy was eating or sleeping. It doesn't take long for Roxy to realize what is going on! Then the growls start... The mats are close to the skin so my sister can sometimes snip a little bit off but she is afraid of hurting Roxy by cutting near the skin. Little sis is also afraid OF Roxy when she acts up Once these ones are gone, I guess my sister should trim the fur regularly to prevent matts in the first place. I suggested catnip toys while she is being groomed; it might distract her but my sister doesn't think it will make a difference. My sister even brought treats but Roxy only had one thing on her mind: do not touch my butt !