Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 30th, 2009, 07:01 AM

scratching and biting*

hi everyone,
i'm concerned with my chihuahua because he has been scratching himself vigorously for the past few days.
and it has caused him to bleed on certain areas of his body(those areas where he bit and scatched) and i am very worried.
and he is now on a strick kidney diet prescribed by my dog's vet(due to him having slight kidney problems)
and one more thing is that can i not feed him with the dry food, but instead boil some meat or cook food like chicken or fish for him?taking in account his kidney condition.
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:10 AM

please reply!
thank you very much.
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:39 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Nigel7, it certainly sounds like a food allergy. What food has the vet prescribed? How old is you pup? Many dogs are allergic to corn, wheat and gluten as well as chicken. Perhaps check the new vet food to see what ingredients it contains.

It is difficult to watch them in such discomfort, I know. :sad: Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to discuss the kidney problem.

I see you are in Singapore...you must remember that is it only early morning here in North America and most members are still sleeping
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:24 AM

he is around 10 years old. the vet prescribed the hill's prescription dry diet (k/d). the one with the orange package.
is it possible for any other factors which is contributing to him scratching/biting himself?
and is it possible if i feed him with something else,like cooked fresh meat or fish??
Old January 30th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Animal Lover

It does sound like an allergy to the food I would call the vet & tell them.
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

If the skin problems appeared after the change in food, I would also suspect an allergy to the Hills k/d. It would be helpful if you could give me a bit more information on the 'slight kidney problems'. Generally, kidney problems are not discovered until the kidney damage is advanced.

While the prescription diets do have their benefits, I believe that those same benefits can be gained while still feeding a good quality food. There are homeopathic products that can help your dogs kidney's from suffering any more damage, but the existing damage cannot be reversed.
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:42 PM

i brought him to the vet and did the usual annual checkout,and the test revealed that his blood urea nitorgen and creatinine levels are kind of high and that it might reflect some kidney problems.
is it possible to feed him with vegetables or fruits?if so, what kind of fruits/veggies?
thank you all for the useful advices and knowledges!
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:03 PM

my 10 years old chihuahua has kidney problems and i brought him to the vet and he recommended the hills prescription k/d diet for him. after the second package, he started to scratch himself constantly. we havent been to the vet lately but im thinking whether it has gotta do with the food that caused him to scratch/bite himself so much.
are there any good recommendations for any alternative canned/dry food?because im thinking of switching to an alternative since ive been suspicious abt whether this has got to do with a food allergy.
Old January 31st, 2009, 08:20 PM

I answered this question in your new thread. Your pup may be allergic to the food however itchy/scratching is very common in renal/kidney disease because of the high BUN(urea) level. I am a human renal dialysis nurse and we are constantly passing around lotion for itchy skin in humans. Please refer to www.dogaware.com, scroll down to the bottom and click on kidney disease. There is an excellent article on feeding the canine with kidney disease. You may wish to go back to your vet (or phone) and ask how high is your pup's BUN & creatinine. The definitive diagnosis is a urinalysis to check the specific gravity. A pup with kidney disease cannot concentrate their urine.
A moderate protein & fat diet with low phosphorous is recommended. The article has substitutes for prescription diets as well as prescription diets. My dog had an elevated BUN & creatinine earlier this month and I researched diets with low phosphorous. She is allergic to chicken so I found Eagle Pack Holistic Duck Meal & Oatmeal. Her urinalysis came back though and it was normal so she didn't have renal failure.
Good luck and please return if you have any more questions. The people here are really helpful.