Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old January 24th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Doggie Wench

Wholesale Meat Suppliers, Montreal

For those of you who feed raw and live in the Montreal region, where do you get large quantities of meat for your pets? So far I've been ordering pork, beef and whole chicken from a wholesale distributor. Chicken necks, carcasses, liver and gizzards, rabbit, and duck I buy from a local poultry store. Although it's much cheaper than going to a grocery store or butchers, I was wondering if anyone else had other resources for meat that may be even less costly?
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't have any good resources, BUT, if ever there were a few people in the area buying meat, perhaps better prices could be found for quantity?
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Doggie Wench

That's what I was thinking. I don't know if there are any 'co-op' type groups that exist in our area. I do know that they do for organic fruits and veggies (from neighboring farms in the country), but for meat .

I don't have any receipts on hand, but if my memory serves me correctly these were about the best prices I could find when I called around for quotes a few months ago:

Beef shortribs: 5$/kg (lots of meat on it, I'd say about 80%)
Beef brisket: 4.25/kg
Grain fed veal liver: 6.00/kg
Thick pork spareribs: 3.25/kg (about 85% meat)
Chicken legs w/back: 2.15/kg
Boneless chicken thigh: 5.25/kg

I've stopped feeding whole large chickens and chicken legs/thighs only because two of my dogs don't always digest the bones (they tend to not chew properly) so I've been feeding more chicken necks instead. I've been trying but am finding it difficult to get small young chickens (under 2 lbs). I've read that the bones are softer and more easily digestible .

It's about time to stock the freezer yet once again...just wondering if anybody else has any suggestions to help keep the costs down a bit.
Old January 24th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I have no idea if this will help at all, but here's a link to some great raw feeding resources in Canada & the US. Scroll down to the Quebec section: http://lepusreg.tripod.com/NRS1a.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Doggie Wench

Thanks for the link sugarcatmom! It directed me to a place for chicken carcasses/neck at 12$ for a box of 20kg. I still can't find a place for whole small chickens but I guess this will do for now.

Pm me if anyone else is interested, I'll try to find a day next week to go pick some up.
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Chow Pei Rescue

Quote:
've stopped feeding whole large chickens and chicken legs/thighs only because two of my dogs don't always digest the bones (they tend to not chew properly) so I've been feeding more chicken necks instead. I've been trying but am finding it difficult to get small young chickens (under 2 lbs). I've read that the bones are softer and more easily digestible
What you are saying is actually in reverse. Chicken necks are not food of merit for a raw diet under any circumstances. The legs, thighs are far more meaty than necks. We have to strive for an 80% meat to bone ratio and that is certainly not necks. Normally if necks are fed they should still be attached to the chicken and not loose. If you are seriously considering feeding an appropriate raw diet of merit, please disregard chicken necks. Most often this is a cut purchased by people who don't want to spend money on quality meats or some people don't truly understand raw meaty diets. (it's not my intent to insult anyone here please be aware of that)

If you find that your dogs are eating legs too fast, it means the pieces are too small. You have to upgrade to a 1/4 or half chicken. Please don't go smaller, always go bigger.

Last edited by MerlinsHope; January 24th, 2008 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Doggie Wench

Thanks for your response, MerlinsHope . I should have clarified...when I feed chicken necks, I only feed about 1/3 of a pound. I also add 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken, liver & giblets.

I did feed whole chickens and legs w/thighs but have noticed a few weeks ago undigested fragments of bone and fresh blood in two of my dogs' stools when feeding these. Naturally, I was concerned. I had found cornish hen, but with three dogs, it's a bit over my budget.

I'd be happy to go back to whole chicken if I knew they would be able to properly digest the bone. Any ideas?

The same goes for beef ribs. I feed a single 1 1/2 - 2lb chunk, mainly meat, but often, I'll find fragments of the bone accompanied by blood in their stools as well .

Last edited by luckypenny; January 24th, 2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old January 24th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Chow Pei Rescue

Raw Suppliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Thanks for the link sugarcatmom! It directed me to a place for chicken carcasses/neck at 12$ for a box of 20kg. I still can't find a place for whole small chickens but I guess this will do for now.

Pm me if anyone else is interested, I'll try to find a day next week to go pick some up.
Right now in Montreal we've done extremely well with Super C prices and often IGA or Morelatos. It's true we have to shop around, but , well it had to be done.

If I compare the prices they are quite close. Also we have, "arrangements", with some local hunters for their beaver, muskrat and a few other tidbits. The other day a deer was killed on Cap St. Jacques and we were able to recouperate all the meat so that was a real find for us!!!.