Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old November 12th, 2009, 11:02 AM

quick update: No accidents, no problems, kitten is using the one big bix and I removed the small one witho no difficulty!!!!! Midnight is doing so well and he is always playing with my other cat Tigger. One big happy family!!
Old November 12th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Catlover2

Fantastic news! I think you're home free.
Thanks for the update...so many don't bother and leaves us wondering.
Old November 15th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I would still keep 2 boxes, even if they're side by side. It's good to have a litterbox per cat. If one cat is using the litterbox and the other has to go you can have accidents. It also means each box will stay cleaner and the cats will be more likely to use it.
It may not be a huge issue right now, but once the kitten is an adult the box will get soiled more quickly and if it's not clean enough to their liking one of them may go somewhere else.
Old December 20th, 2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
Fantastic news! I think you're home free.
Thanks for the update...so many don't bother and leaves us wondering.
I may have spoken too soon......new problem. For the last 2 night the cat has jumped up and peed on my bed!~!!!!! why? what can I do? Hubby says to lock it up and start all over again. He isnt doing it anywhere else, just my bed and just at night while we are sleeping.
Old December 20th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Catlover2

I think hubby's right, "lock him up and start all over". You don't want peeing on the bed to be a new behaviour. Nip it in the bud quickly. There's the slim chance that if he's peeing more than usual he may have a urinary infection. But he's still a young kitten, how old now? Anything else changed in the house he may be reacting too....new cat or dog or house visitor?
Old December 20th, 2009, 09:48 AM

well, 1st of all, right after I posted that, I found him in the litterbox pooping. He knows where he is supposed to go for sure. He is just doing it at night and aways on my bed and always just once. I think he is mad. 2nd, we have been letting our black lab into the house at night here cause it is so cold. They dont seem to mind eachother.

I dont know if locking him up or just barring him from our bedroom is the key. The rest of the time during the day, no problems.
Old December 20th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Catlover2

Ah... so something has changed....the Lab is now in at night. Even tho you say "they don't seem to mind each other", to me it's obvious Midnight is "mad" and he's not happy with that arrangement. Maybe he feels threatened, insecure being alone with the dog? Do you have a dog crate or kennel that you can put the Lab in at night? Or confine the kitten somewhere in a warm spot away from the Lab? Perhaps if you put Midnight away with Tigger, he would be happier. I've always kept my cats out of the bedroom at night, but that's my choice. Hope you can get Midnight straightened around again.

Last edited by catlover2; December 20th, 2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Additional thought: Put Midnight with Tigger
Old December 21st, 2009, 03:30 PM

well, the lab stays downstairs and the cats stay upstairs. They are not around eachother at all unless they want to go get food. Interesting twist to the story, my hubby thinks that it might be our other cat that is mad!!!!! In either case, the cat has not peed on the bed in 2 days now. maybe it was an isolated thing?
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:12 AM
Catlover2

So, do you know which one peed on the bed for sure?....was it Tigger or Midnight? Just curious why your hubby thought it was Tigger. Well, I hope they're OK again and no more accidents and that's the end of it. Let's !
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:40 PM

ok, midnight for sure. Woke up this am with the wet spot again on the bed and then tonight, while I was folding clothes, the cat jumped up on the bed and right in front of me and hubby and kids, squatted and started to pee on the bed!!! Huby was mad, grabbed the cat, rubbed his face in the wet urine spot, yelled no and spanked him once and then put him right into the litter box where he promptly pooped. What the heck is going on? and btw, I wash the mattress pad, sheets and comforter every time he does this so there should not be an odor bringing him back.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 10:13 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You said the cats stay upstairs and the dog down unless the cats want food. Do the cats have to go downstairs and past the dog to get to the basement where their litter is? I would venture to say that is a huge part of the problem. Most likely the whole problem. What a dog does when it's humans are around is not what that same dog does when they are not around to intervene to stop it from being a dog. It is quite possible while you are sleeping at night the dog is terrorizing the kitten. It does not take much to make a small kitty petrified of a larger being, dog or human.
Which leads me to the next part....... rubbing a cat's nose in its pee does nothing but teach it to show fear for the person doing it to him and may possible lead to more issues. The cat has no idea why it's nose was rubbed into the urine. Also the yelling and spanking does no good. The kitten has no idea why it is being hit. The kitten at this age is the equivalent to a 3 or 4 month old human baby in age.
If we look at this from the kitten's point of view we will see it was quite settled and happy in the house and all of a sudden a large animal with the potential to hurt it badly was brought into the picture. The poor kitten has no idea how to react. He is afraid to go to his bathroom because he is afraid of this larger being. So he uses the closest thing he can find that resembles his bathroom. Unfortunately it's your bed.
Are you using something like Nature's Miracle to clean your sheets and mattress? You need to completely get rid of the smell of the kitty's urine. You may think it's gone because you can't smell it but the kitten may still be able to. A mixture of 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, 1 cup of water mixed in a spray bottle and sprayed liberally on the areas the kitten has peed on will help eliminate the smell.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Catlover2

Rubbing kitty's nose in urine, spanking it and yelling will not train kitty to behave; it will only make kitty stressed and anxious. I can understand how exasperated and frustrated you both are, but it's too bad your kids had to see your hubby loose his cool with Midnight and hope they don't model his behaviour.

You definitely want to get Midnight out of the habit of going on your bed. I really think to get kitty's mind off the bed you're going to have to keep him out of the bedroom completely as he seems to be very focused on peeing on the bed. You'll have to keep your bedroom door closed all the time. The bedroom should be off limits--you'll have to be consistent with this for any chance of success. Do you have a warm small room?---laundry room or bathroom--where you can put Midnight at night with Tigger to keep him company away from your Lab. Set it up with cat bed or blankets food, water and litterbox. (if he pees on his blankets or cat bed, put down a cardboard box on its side and put in some shredded newspaper). This should settle him down, and hopefully in six months he has forgotten about peeing on your bed. Hope this will be a solution to your problem.
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:16 AM

Laundry room is upstairs with the litterbox in it so the cat doesnt have to go anywhere near the dog to go to the bathroom. We did start locking the cat out of the bedroom. We started last night and I guess that we will have to keep him out. I am wondering if I have to close my door during the day as well as it seems he only does this at night...very odd. It will be interesting to see if this continues after the weather warms up and the dog goes back out at night,
Old December 24th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Catlover2

I suggest you keep your bedroom door closed night and day. Why take a chance? And at night I would keep both Midnight & Tigger in the laundry room...does it have a door? It's possible the Lab roams around at night unless he's confined too, and a lot of dogs do love checking out litter boxes for "snacks". This kitty is in a crucial stage for correcting inappropriate peeing, and you need to be consistent and not give him any opportunities to slip up (enough litter boxes and cleaned out 2x/day). In my experience, generally speaking, male cats do have more problems with inappropriate elimination than female cats. That's why you have to be diligent and nip any unwanted peeing behaviour in the bud, and be consistent.

Hope your hubby is making up to Midnight by giving him extra loving and playing with him for his rough handling.
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:49 AM

well, I would like to have good news but.....We have locked both cats out at night. Midnight only pees on the bed once and only at night so both cats are on the bed during the day, no problem. Things have been good and then this am, I got up to help my youngest get dressed, went back to bed and.....yup.....you guessed it.....hubby was outraged and said that he wants the cat gone. I had a cat before I met him that I owned for 13 years and when he and I started dating, this cat was peeing in the dryer on clean clothes etc,.....we lived with it for years until he became ill and had to be euthenzed. Hubby stated he WILL NOT live with another cat with this behavior and he will not clean up after him for the next 14 years...I am very sad and unsure what else to do at this moment. It is not feasable to consider that I will be able to keep him out of our room all the time and the odor is becoming a problem. He also started to pee on the bean bags we have for the kids....we threw them out. I guess we are done.
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Catlover2

Why did you leave your bedroom door open so that he could pee on the bed? When I said previously you have to be consistent and not give him any opportunities to slip up, I meant not just for a few days or weeks, but in this case it may have to be for months or forever. Midnight has a thing about peeing on the bed and will do it every time there is a chance. Don't give it to him! Sorry, if I sound ticked, but it's not Midnight's fault here. If you want to keep this cat and hubby happy, I think you'll have to try harder.
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I'm a softy

Did you take him to the vet and have him checked for any urinary troubles? What do you feed him? Did you try a change in food? It is very possible peeing hurts, or did once while he was in the box, and now associates the pain with it.

You cant give up on him this soon. He is a baby. Did you try spraying the bed with a cat deterrant? There is a reason this is happening, and it likely has an easy fix, they deserve our time and effort to really try to figure it out and help them through it. He doesnt want to pee on your things and upset you, he doesnt understand. I also think that it is very unlikely he will pee on things forever, he is young, there is a solution, but you cant give up on him.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:49 PM

well the thing is, he does not pee on anything else, not the kids beds, not the couch...just our bed!!!! I threw out the mattress pad since this am and put a clean new one on the bed along with new sheets and closed the door. I did all this just in case the smell was attracting him. Anyway, my 9 year old went into my room and left the door open and.....you guessed it....he went on the bed. My new sheets and pad are in the washer as we speak. Where can I get a spray deterent to try on the bed that will work but wont make my sheets smell bad for us? I have NO intentions of telling him about this last incident as I dont know the cat would make it through the night!!
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:25 PM

I also want to add that it was suggested to me that the cat is "marking" the bed as his since that is where the other cat likes to sleep. If that is the case, I am not sure that thee is anything to be done.
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Catlover2

longsally, it doesn't matter what is the reason Midnight pees on the bed, the solution is to ban both cats from the bedroom period! Keep the bedroom door closed all the time, read the riot act to your kids. If this can't be done, maybe it is time to rehome Midnight, as the tension and anxiety between you and hubbby are not good for your marriage, or your kids.
Old January 9th, 2010, 03:34 AM

Listen to catlover2 she knows what she is talking about I have trained my bf to keep the bedroom door closed to prevent accidents of jealousy, or no matter how loud Forest meows to be near someone while we sleep! Please don't give up! It can be fixed
Old January 13th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Catlover2

For those who are wondering about this kitten.....I sent longsally a pm, and things have clamed down and she's worked out a solution. Midnight sleeps on her son's bed without any more peeing incidents anywhere, and Tigger sleeps with her and hubby. She's going to cover the bed with a sheet of plastic during the day. Good for her!
Old January 31st, 2010, 07:16 PM

All is good here...last week, hubby was out of town and the kitten could not stop hitting the door, wanting in. I decided the heck with it and let him in. In one week now, he has not gone on my bed, even though the door is open. I am cautiously optimistic and hubby thinks that the problem may be over. I said if he starts up again, we can put him out again. So far, so good.
Old February 1st, 2010, 12:11 AM
Catlover2

I'm wondering if it was the fact that your husband was away for a week that Midnight did not pee on the bed. Perhaps it was hubby's rough handling he was upset about and it was his way of showing it? I think I would keep your bedroom door closed just in case or put on the plastic sheet. I wouldn't want to take the chance so soon that he might revert back to his peeing. I 'm glad to hear your "cautiously optimistic" and I'm hopefull too that this is just a phase he's going through, and in time will forget this behaviour. Hang in there!
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:06 PM

no, the cat was rough handles due to his peeing on the bed!!!! Anyhow, he seems to have stopped.
Old February 13th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Catlover2

Happy to hear he's stopped peeing on the bed. That's great news.
Old April 8th, 2010, 04:09 PM

just another update.....NO more problems. He did go on the bed once for some unknown reason, we banned him for a week and then it stopped again. That was over 1 month ago. He is so snuggly and sleeps with me when I get home in the am from work.
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Catlover2

That's gr8 news! thanks for the update. Glad to hear all is well and Midnight is a happy boy. Your patience and persistence paid off.
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:58 PM

Awesome!! Don't you love it when a plan comes together??