Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old August 27th, 2007, 03:28 PM

Pit Bulls shot in Montreal

Heard this on the radio coming home from work today. This was the only net info I could find:

Montreal cops shoot two dogs.
Mon, 2007-08-27 15:20.
David McKee
Montreal Police were forced to take down a couple of pit bulls in NDG on Monday.

Officers were called to a house on King Edward, near Monkland, that's under construction.

They found two aggressive pit bulls on the loose in the backyard.

Neither Police nor an animal-control agent were able to approach the animals.

When they became aggressive, both dogs were shot dead.

Police still don't know who owns the two stray pit bulls as they were not wearing any collars.
Old August 27th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Truly sad! K9tofriend! Makes you wonder why they were running loose and was anyone out looking for them?? not likely...

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:25 PM
-

I have a few ideas about what should be done with the owner...
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Bet no owners are going to come forward now. Poor dogs, probably been mistreated their whole lives.:sad:
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:06 PM

These were my old room mates dogs. Their names were Aces and Peanut. They got loose chasing a skunk under the fence and got lost and wen't back to their old neighborhood in ndg where I used to live with them. These were probably the most loved and well taken care of pit bulls you will ever see. The job of a dog catcher is to catch the dog, not be so afraid of being bitten that you call the police to come shoot them just because they looked like meanpit bulls. These dogs were not agressive to humans at all. I used to play wrestle with the 100 pound male. They had tags and the owner had come forward 4 hours before the dogs were found, but they decided to shoot instead of calling the owner in. These dogs would never attack a human unless attacked first. But they did know what a gun is so I'm sure Aces probably stepped forward and gave some warning barks once guns were drawn but you can't shoot a dog that hasn't attacked anyone. They were 4 and 6 years old and will be dearly missed. If you are a police officer reading this and you would rather commit murder than risk some minor cuts and bruises then you are a coward and have no place in the police.
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:13 PM

here is their picture.
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:17 PM

can't get it to post, but anyway, they were beautiful oldfamily red nose pits with full tails and ears.
Old September 14th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Animal creulty

I feel terrible for you loss. I have been fighting for the rights of Pits for years. They are the black sheep of the canine world. The sad thing is they are no more violent than any other kind of dog. The problem is that there are as*holes out there who train these dogs to be fighters due to the fact that they have strong jaws. Puppies are not born violent they trained to be violent it's been done with other breeds as well. There are people out there campaingning for ubderstanding of these beautiful dogs.
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzito171 View Post
These were my old room mates dogs. Their names were Aces and Peanut. They got loose chasing a skunk under the fence and got lost and wen't back to their old neighborhood in ndg where I used to live with them. These were probably the most loved and well taken care of pit bulls you will ever see. The job of a dog catcher is to catch the dog, not be so afraid of being bitten that you call the police to come shoot them just because they looked like meanpit bulls. These dogs were not agressive to humans at all. I used to play wrestle with the 100 pound male. They had tags and the owner had come forward 4 hours before the dogs were found, but they decided to shoot instead of calling the owner in. These dogs would never attack a human unless attacked first. But they did know what a gun is so I'm sure Aces probably stepped forward and gave some warning barks once guns were drawn but you can't shoot a dog that hasn't attacked anyone. They were 4 and 6 years old and will be dearly missed. If you are a police officer reading this and you would rather commit murder than risk some minor cuts and bruises then you are a coward and have no place in the police.

Sorry for your roommates loss but the article stated there were no collars so how were they suppose to call the owners? I don't agree with shooting an animal unless a human life is at stake, but to tranquillize instead.

Also, if the owner did come forward hours before, sounds like there was a miscommunication issue between on the scene officers and headquarters that needs to be looked at.

We were not at the scene and don't know how threatening/aggressive these dogs were, perhaps very, if the dogs felt their lives were at stake and were very scared.
I also feel that dog owners (as well as cats) should be responsible for ensuring their animals are kept under control and not allowed to roam. It is the responsible thing to do for your pet. Although according to you they were fenced, sounds like the fence should have been adequate to keep the dogs in. If the owner knew they chased a skunk, sounds like he/she was there when the dogs escaped, could he/she not control them by calling them back .

Aces and Peanut to their owners.
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:26 PM

I am so sorry for the death of Aces and Peanut. They aren't all bad! And the ones who are - it ain't their fault...

My ex's brother bred red-noses. Beautiful, gentle, well-socialized dogs. Raised in the house with his children. One evening his 2 adults were out in the backyard when a police chase came through the neighborhood. Sirens and craziness and Jeff opened the door to bring them in just as 2 cops came through the gate, cutting through the yard. They took one look at the dogs and opened fire - killing them both. The female had a litter of puppies inside. Jeff said the dogs didn't even get the chance to threaten the police - and with him out there - they never would have done. FWIW - they weren't chasing a murderer. Stolen car.

Tragic...

Kathy
Old September 15th, 2007, 02:42 PM

sorry to hear about your friends dogs,im a pitt owner myself so i know how he or she must feel,As for the cops they will lie untill their blue in the face sort of like the morons that run our country but thats just my opinion.
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzito171 View Post
I would just like to say that people really should not be so quick to judge, Peanut and Aces were my neighbours dogs, I have 3 children and can attest to the fact that these 2 dogs were not viscious dogs, my children and I were around these dogs almost daily and we never had any reason to fear them, they were friendly,wonderful, playful, loving dogs.. as for the comments regarding the owner..the owner did everything possible to find his dogs and he always watched those dogs when they were outside of the home, those dogs were very well taken of and loved dearly..
The owner would have done anything for those dogs, they were family....
The police in my opinion did not care anything for these animals, all they saw were two pitts, not 2 dogs that someone loved and cared for..
also I do not beleive animal control was even called to see if they could contain these dogs, i think the police arrived on the scene and just shot the dogs straight out..animal control was probably called after the fact, just to remove the dead dogs and take them to the spca...
Any sensible person would be able to tell the difference between wild animals and animals that have been cared for by an owner..these cops di not care, and they say the dogs became agressive...the dogs were scared as hell!! they were lost and had no idea what was going on around them...
Also if animal control was there, there should have been no reason why they could not have shot tranquilizers into those dogs instead of pumping bullets into them as quickly as they did...
Im sorry for rambling on here, but im extremely angry for the senseless loss of these 2 beautiful animals lives... and I feel terrible for the owner being trashed and thought of as careless or uncaring...thats just not true
Rest in peace Aces and Peanut
...you will be sadly missed but never forgotten
We love u both!!
:
Old October 1st, 2007, 07:12 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I too feel incredibly sad for the owner and may peanut and Aces

I do not understand the actions of the police here...actually I'm holding back big time. and have been holding back for 3 weeks or so.

Do Montreal police have access to tazers or tranquilizers? I mean if 2 dogs on the loose are important enough to have the police involved, then the police should be able to handle these situations without killing dogs.

I'll tell you this - unless my life or the lives of civilians were at imminent risk of harm - I would have sooner been fired from the police force before shooting two dogs execution style.

Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

That is truly sad and I am sorry for the loss of Aces and Peanut. Another 2 innocent dogs pay with their lives because of ignorance. The government has created this climate by basically saying all pits and staffs are vicious. So before you even think about voting liberal remember who started this vendetta against a breed. Also the media immediately says they were aggressive I think they have these stories pre-written and just insert a few iffy facts and run it as long as it is a pit or they make it a pit mix. You need to make your voice heard and the only way politicians hear you is by voting
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Aces and Peanuts

[FON
T="Arial"][/FONT]
I AM SO SORRY AND ALSO ANGRY TO READ ABOUT THE SHOOTING OF ACES AND PEANUT. I AM SURE THEY WERE FRIGHTENED AND CONFUSED AND JUST WANTED TO GET HOME. I CAN NOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME UNDERSTAND WHY THEY WOULD NOT SEDATE THE ANIMALS, PUT THEM IN A SAFE PLACE AND LOOK FOR THE OWNER. TO SHOOT THEM WAS COWARDLY AND CRUEL AND MY HEART ACHES FOR THE OWNER. ALL I CAN SAY IS I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR GREAT LOSS. IN MY OPINION IT WAS UNEXCUSEABLE!!