Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old August 20th, 2007, 06:07 PM

All grocery store canned food is bad?

I was looking at Meow Mix Deep Sea Delight, pouch.

Tuna, fish broth, mackerel, chicken, chicken liver, giblets (poultry liver and heart), wheat gluten, dried egg,,,,,unless I'm missing something, it doesn't look too bad.
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Swift Tribe

other than the fact that tuna isnt healthy for animals (and some say people either) most wet foods are pretty good for your pets. for cats though, there should be no grains. small amounts of rice is ok but wheat, and especially corn are unhealthy for cats. look at the vitamins and minerals and see if they are high quality and also look at preservatives. wheat gluten is not good for cats either.

all in all, wet cat food of just abotu any source is better than kibble in just about any form. there are exceptions to that of course but as a general rule the big evil with kibble and cats is its dryness. the biggest bonus of wet food is its wetness. if the first handful of ingredient are a protein source you are probably good.

this journey you are taking to find out what you are feeding your beloved companions is admirable.

-ashley
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:54 PM

I personally am still avoiding wheat gluten at all costs after the giant pet-food recall, where wheat gluten was believed to be contaminated. I don't think glutens are a quality protein source at all anyway, which is what they are used for in pet foods. AAFCO definition of gluten is "the tough, viscid nitrogenous substance remaining when the flour or wheat or other grain is washed to remove the starch". (sounds yummy, huh? )

Other than that, tuna should be fed in moderation (fed in large amounts can cause vitamin E deficiency, also tends to be higher in mercury than other types of fish), the "poultry" liver and heart isn't a specified meat source (so it could be a liver from any bird, specified "chicken liver, chicken heart" would be better), with the dried egg make sure it is not "dried egg product" which is not human quality egg (specified "whole eggs" is better). Not a horrible food, but not top of the line by any means. Hope that is helpful.
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Swift Tribe

which doesnt mean that egg itself is a bad thing to feed your pet. not only is egg wonderful for YOUR BODY but your pets also. just make sure that egg white is fed at a minimum.

-ashley
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Sablecollie about avoiding wheat gluten. Not just because of the recall, although that's a big factor for me as well, but also because it tends to be a big source of allergies for many cats: http://www.felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm

As well, it's preferable not to have too much fish in a cat's diet. It tends to be high in phosphorous (mostly a problem for kidney-compromised kitties) and can be addicting to some cats, resulting in issues of finicky-ness. Fish, along with beef, are also big allergens. That doesn't mean you have to avoid them completely, just feed with caution and be on the lookout for any digestive issues. My cat handles beef just fine (loves it raw!), but hates fish. And you'd be surprised at just how many foods actually contain fish somewhere in the ingredient list!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:47 PM

OK, it sounds like this brand is OK for once a week. AT 4.99/12 pouches, and less on sale or with a coupon, it seems a viable part of her diet that helps the budget a little

Please tell me Natural Balance canned is a GREAT food. She will actually eat it (miracle) and at .89 for a 6 oz can, it's less money than grocery store small cans/pouches.
Old August 21st, 2007, 08:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia101 View Post
OK, it sounds like this brand is OK for once a week. AT 4.99/12 pouches, and less on sale or with a coupon, it seems a viable part of her diet that helps the budget a little

Please tell me Natural Balance canned is a GREAT food. She will actually eat it (miracle) and at .89 for a 6 oz can, it's less money than grocery store small cans/pouches.
You could definitely do worse than Natural Balance, but a lot of the flavours tend to be rather high in carbs. Their chicken & liver variety has the lowest carb content of the bunch. Even the other ones wouldn't hurt if they weren't fed exclusively. I'm a big fan of rotating flavours anyway to prevent boredom or pickiness.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler