Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:59 PM

Need advice 16 yr old lhaso alpso

Hello Everyone

I have a lhaso Alpso Max, he is 16 now ( 17 yrs old in October).

When he was 10, he developed a large non cancerous cyst on his lip, it was about the size of a golf ball and we were able to give him the surgery to have it removed.

The cyst seemed to have been gone for the last 6 years when about a month ago I noticed it was again coming back and over the span of the last month it has grown back to the size of a golf ball.

I have taken him to the vet, who told me that at his age and due to him now also having a heart murmur ( to which he is on fortekor for) it would not be worth the surgery as he won't survive it.

The Vet told me its not hurting him and did not suggest I put him down. He did perscribe antibiotics in hopes it would bring it down in size but we have no such luck so far. The vet said his breed is prone to this kind of problem and he was surprised it took 6 years to come back .

I feel so bad. I love this dog so much , he's my best friend and I don't want him to suffer but I feel helpless in this situation. I don't know what else I can do if they can't remove this from him.

I am sorry, I guess I am just venting a little out of sadness and confusion. I would do anything for this sweet dog and with his age and now heart condition I just don't know what I can do to help him.

If anyone has any thoughts or advice.