Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old June 30th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Chow Pei Rescue

Quote:
Wolf dont eat salt kibbles or oats. I
You're absolutely right!

As with everything, if we stick to Mother Nature's original plan, be it for ourselves, or our pets, rarely if ever, do we make mistakes. It's when we deviate from her original design, well, that's when everything usually falls apart.

What people should consider, is not to apply human values to the needs of their dogs, but, to apply Nature's values.

There are so many people out there who are constantly trying to re-invent what, 'raw meat', is, and are constantly trying to re-invent their dogs into humans.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinsHope View Post
You're absolutely right!

As with everything, if we stick to Mother Nature's original plan, be it for ourselves, or our pets, rarely if ever, do we make mistakes. It's when we deviate from her original design, well, that's when everything usually falls apart.

What people should consider, is not to apply human values to the needs of their dogs, but, to apply Nature's values.

There are so many people out there who are constantly trying to re-invent what, 'raw meat', is, and are constantly trying to re-invent their dogs into humans.
I think this sums it up pretty well, keep it simple as mother nature intended it.
This is a nice conclusion to this discussion, and should be for every Post on this Raw Feeding forum lol. Dont ask questions, just read what Merlin just said and figure it out for yourself lol.
Old January 11th, 2011, 07:44 PM

salt is good

I can't stand it! I have to jump in, even though I have not finished all the posts; which I will when I finish my rant.

Just stick with it, raw. You pet will get used to it and you are a genius to figure out the "SALT" thing. I was going to suggest it if the topic didn't come up by the time I finished all the posts.

And hear is why:

On a carbohydrate diet, humans at least, (and probably animals) retain salt and liquids. It is called edema. And then when the human, suffering edema, goes on a low, very low carb diet, s/he drinks more water and passes a lot of urine. That's why on Atkins or most restricted diets, you lose a lot of weight the first few days. When I put my Sadie on the BARF diet 9 days ago, for two days she peed like the proverbial horse. Now she's back to normal.

As long as you drink or the dog drinks a lot of water, the salt will be expressed. Potentially, the only problem is an imbalance of the electrolytes, potassium in particular. This can be countered with the use of half and half, a salt product which is mixed with potassium. And if you really want to make sure you are keeping your electrolytes in balance, take magnesium and calcium. (Never take calcium tablets with out taking magnesium.) The point is that the 4 are intertwined.

My mum can't keep her electrolytes in balance without large amounts of magnesium. Otherwise she goes into hospital and has to have potassium intravenously. (We are all different and some need more of one than another body might.) I doctor I knew told me that if everyone took magnesium, we'd clear the hospitals (and I don't think he meant by filling the morgue).

There is too much bs on TV regarding salt being bad.What is bad is sugar aka carbs. The digestion of sugar (carbohydrates are nothing more than sugars) takes a lot of calcium and remember, there's a balance between the 4 electrolytes -sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium. (Children can have new teeth coming through with cavities because they get too much sugar and the body uses so much of it it digest the carbs/sugar that there isn't enough for the teeth - teeth and bones can be leached of calacium)

By all means salt your dogs meat but make sure that carbs are not a big part of the diet. Just make sure the water bowl is always full, but you already have said you do that.

Here is another quick point. You said your dog was overweight so don't worry about a few shed pounds. I can see why the pet might not want to eat the stuff if it is frozen (again, I still have to finish reading all posts so someone may have said this). Frozen has no smell (I understand that is all dogs have, smell- they don't taste supposedly.) I nuke a chicken neck 30 seconds (I have a very old second hand microwave which warms you if you stand too close - it's not powerful or fast - but it looks way too cook to get rid of). The neck is not even warm, but it is not frozen. Then spray it with a saline solution (cheap spray bottles from dollar store) or dip it in a salt bath and Bob's your pups uncle.

As a pork chop dog (I have one too), I am sure your pup will give up and let you dictate its needs.

Cheers and best wishes in your quest.
mhikl

Now I must finish your thread.

Last edited by mhikl; January 11th, 2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: spell and word
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Just a quick question..
How much excercise is the dog getting?
I have one here that if not excercised will not eat. No matter what I put in front of her.

Also, searing the meat is also a great idea, I have no comment on the salt, I have never considered feeding salt to my dogs and have been feeding raw for 5 years now. HOWEVER, I will say I have seen them at the horses mineral block from time to time taking a little lick so???