Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old January 9th, 2011, 11:56 PM

Raw Whole Chicken Dog Food Recipe

Last night, I used the following whole chicken recipe to make some raw chicken meals for my cats:
http://rawmeatcatfood.com/2010/08/20...t-food-recipe/

I also have a papillon puppy that cannot eat bones, so she would benefit from a recipe like this also.

Can I use this same recipe, but alter it by adding dog friendly fruits/vegetables?

Last edited by eternity83; January 10th, 2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old January 10th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Looks like a good recipe. I used to do similar for Bayley, I added Urban Wolf for her vitamins and minerals. I really should go back to doing that for the critters. I need another freezer though, maybe in the spring, we'll go back to a raw diet.
Old January 10th, 2011, 01:46 AM

Intact little fishes and omega 3

Namaste eternity83,

I don't have any cats but have read a bit about their diet on the internet. Seems they are true carnivores and don't need any carbs (or fibre as pointed out in Chicken Recipe article) as dogs do.

You might want to check out facts on raw egg yolks, or maybe a worthy forum member might already have done this and will see your thread. I remember reading about raw yolk deleting some nutrient if not slightly heated (cooked a little). But that may only be in humans. The recipes I have seen for dogs have called for hard boiled eggs.

I was picking up a frozen pink salmon at Super Store and saw bagged whole little fishes but can't remember their name. (about $8 for 800ish gr if I remember correctly) They were complete, from head to tail. There may be important nutrients in the brain, eyes, guts and I thought this might be just the thing for cats on BARF; and they'd be getting their omega 3s. From what I read, cats get all their nutrients from small critters they can catch.

I made a thread on raising mice, but I doubt many would go for such a thing. I am; the wife isn't. It might be an industry some brave heart might want to start. There'd be a market, I am sure. To us humans, the thought of our pets eating hair and eyeballs and guts (poop track and all), maybe sounds disgusting but pooch and kitty might find it the cat's meow, health wise.

Cheers,
mhikl

Last edited by mhikl; January 10th, 2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: wording
Old January 10th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhikl View Post
I remember reading about raw yolk deleting some nutrient if not slightly heated (cooked a little).
That would be raw egg whites, which either need to be cooked or fed as a whole egg. They contain avidin, which binds with biotin and can result in a biotin deficiency when fed regularly: http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/eggwhite.htm

Quote:
I was picking up a frozen pink salmon at Super Store and saw bagged whole little fishes but can't remember their name. (about $8 for 800ish gr if I remember correctly) They were complete, from head to tail. There may be important nutrients in the brain, eyes, guts and I thought this might be just the thing for cats on BARF; and they'd be getting their omega 3s.
Contrary to popular belief, cats actually shouldn't eat much, if any, fish (especially raw). It's not a natural food source and doesn't contain the correct proportions of nutrients. http://catnutrition.wordpress.com/20...ding-for-cats/

Quote:
It might be an industry some brave heart might want to start. There'd be a market, I am sure.
There already is a growing industry:
http://hare-today.com/index.php?cPath=21
http://wholefoods4pets.com/dogs-cats.htm
http://www.rodentpro.com/catalog.asp?prod=3

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 10th, 2011, 08:44 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
To us humans, the thought of our pets eating hair and eyeballs and guts (poop track and all), maybe sounds disgusting but pooch and kitty might find it the cat's meow, health wise.
Also contrary to popular belief I have never seen one of my feral cats eat the guts/poop tract of a mouse. It was always left behind for me to step in. Health wise there would be nothing beneficial in it. Funny, a vet a while back tried convincing me that grains and corn are a natural part of a cats' diet because of the same thing. I didn't buy it.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 10th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternity83 View Post
last night, I used the following whole chicken recipe to make some raw chicken meals for my cats:
http://rawmeatcatfood.com/2010/08/20...t-food-recipe/

I also have a papillon puppy that cannot eat bones, so she would benefit from a recipe like this also.

Can I use this same recipe, but alter it by adding dog friendly fruits/vegetables?
That is almost my recipe to a tee for my cats. I don't grind twice, only once with the grinding wheel with the largest wholes. I also keep some pretty good size chunks of meat with bone to mix with the meat so that the cats get some good chomping with their back teeth.

As for a dog recipe, not too sure if you need to add any fruits and veggies

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 10th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Also contrary to popular belief I have never seen one of my feral cats eat the guts/poop tract of a mouse. It was always left behind for me to step in. Health wise there would be nothing beneficial in it. Funny, a vet a while back tried convincing me that grains and corn are a natural part of a cats' diet because of the same thing. I didn't buy it.
When the coyotes killed the buck in my backyard the only thing they left behind was the stomach contents. They came back the second night to drag the carcass back to where ever, the den perhaps, but still left the stomach behind. The birds pecked and took care of it over the next few days

My Snowball, who was quite a hunter, did not eat the stomach contents of any mouse either.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 10th, 2011, 12:23 PM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;975740]That would be raw egg whites, which either need to be cooked or fed as a whole egg. They contain avidin, which binds with biotin and can result in a biotin deficiency when fed regularly: http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/eggwhite.htm

I separated the egg yolks. I didn't use the egg whites this time, but I think next time I will cook them and add them to the mix.
Old January 10th, 2011, 02:43 PM

Fabulous Facts

Namaste, 14+kitties, sugarcatmon;

I love this forum. I have learned so much and with such eclectic interests in so many subjects, I am master in none. So whites are the culprit. I try to study up on health issues and this is an important point to know. Shall meditate on it a moment so I don't mix my yolk and whites up again.

Cats are truly amazing. Dogs seem to eat anything, poisons included, but cats seem to have a sense of what is right and wrong when it comes to ingestion, I suspect. (Does anyone know if cats will lick antifreeze?) I couldn't see most hungry dogs sorting through a carcass for the healthy stuff, but the cats I have known seem to experience time differently, with less haste. Thus their perceived picky nature which is really an adaptation for survival, I suspect.

That fish are not really all that good for cats surprises me. But we have tried to domesticate them yet they seem to stick to their natural guns and are healthier for it. This is another good reason to question manufactured food for cats and dogs. The purveyors of pet foods are out for the bucks, we are out for our pets' health. (Onions are bad for dogs and I have read that garlic is, too, and it is a member of the onion family—Onions killed a gf's puppy when it rummaged her garbage—The industry puts it in dog food for flavour and to claims it dissuades fleas) .The pet industry will put anything into pet food to entice our pets to eat their products. That's reality, I suppose; though I wish business would think more ethically. (Just watched Food Inc. documentary again but I will hold my rage.)

However, another good rage point though I know I am preaching to the converted: bad business reflects on all business; unjust as this may be, its a fact of human nature to draw such conclusions. Therefore, in their own interest (self-interrst), business should want government or external regulation. That way when something goes wrong, government or the "agency" other than business, could be blamed. Michael Moore's comment that business would sell the rope to hang themselves stands true, IMHO.

I'll put the stool away; but I will point out for the nutritional interests: Most people realize that trans fats aka hydrogenated fats are bad, and are being eliminated by govt regulation; however, small amounts are allowed and any amount less than half a gram can claim to be 0 trans fats. There is no way round this except from eating absolutely no processed food until this offence is fixed. I'll put my soapbox away now.) Please correct me if I've made any errors here.

Here is a strange point that I cannot remember where I saw it. The article (TV programme I think) claimed that dogs need the best of fats; but cats thrived on bad oils and would thrive on the likes of bacon grease. It seemed to be a legitimate site or programme but I found it hard to believe. Has anyone ever seen or read this before. I have never mentioned this anywhere before because I would worry someone might try this out on their kitties. But this is a good site for putting errors to rest.

No more rant. I'm going to look at those sites on rodents.

Cheers,
mhikl

Last edited by mhikl; January 10th, 2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: punctuation clarity
Old January 10th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I remember watching the barn cats years ago where I used to ride, when they caught anything to eat, everything would be eaten except for the gall bladder. I suppose cause bile doesn't taste very good. This was on a rabbit..these were tough kitties!! Lots of crunching and growling going on!

The one time my first dog caught a mouse, she gave it one chomp and it was gone.