Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old August 8th, 2011, 06:26 AM

slight set back with BARF

I've got both my dogs when they were 3 months old, they are now 2 years old and 10 months old.

From day one, I fed them home cooked food, but I switched them to BARF about a month ago. They were used to meaty bones and raw liver before, since I gave them some at least once a week. So it went great at first, then they started eating OK one day, and not the next. Now it seems the bad days have become more frequent than the good ones.

I can't figure out if they're just not hungry, because of the heat, though we've had heat waves before and as long as they ate late at night, when it was cooler, it was not a problem. The funny thing is, that most of the time, if one doesn't eat, the other neither.

Overall, the one who is finicky eats better than the one who use to gulp everything down (the puppy), so not sure what the problem is. The puppy should eat 4 to 6% of his bodyweight, on average, and he is more around 2 to 3%, so I'm afraid he is not getting enough to eat.

Let's not talk about Mr. finicky who doesn't want to eat his fruits/vegetables, or anything with oil on it, or ground meat and yogurt, which he used to go bonkers for

What's up with them?
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:58 AM

Can you let us know what you are feeding them and the proportions? you talk about fruits and vegetables and oil... not all dogs want to eat those which is fine, they dont need fruits and veggies or added oil in their diet.

Raw meat on bones with some organs,fish, eggs and green tripe would give them what they need. Did you try that?

Also what kind of meat are you giving them? our guy would not touch duck, he just leaves it, but he eats chicken, turkey, and lamb with a great appetite spoiled i know...

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old August 10th, 2011, 09:37 AM

as Masha said, dogs shouldnt eat anything processed or created by humans (yogurt, oil, vitamines, fruits and veggys that wolves cant get too), Fruits and veggys I would only feed as a treat one a week or every 2 weeks.

Keep it simple and wild, raw meat and bones, organs, eggs, tripes etc...anything a wolf would fall upon in the wild, or that is found in a dead animal.
My dogs have been on raw food for 2 years now, eating the same old stuff, chicken or red meat with bones, organs, tripe, eggs as treat. Everyday they seem to be rediscovering it like it was desert.

If you complicate their diet, they will complicate your life.
Humans are proof of that. Look how many cancers we have, how obese we are, how finiky we are....A hungry dog will eat what its naturally suppose to.. no questions asked. If he dosnst eat, feed him later or the next day. If he dosnt eat for a couple days, bring him to a vet, could be something else.
Old August 12th, 2011, 03:23 AM

I have access to free chicken carcasses, with quite a bit of meat left on it, so this account for about 4 days worth per week. They get raw beef liver and heart, occasionally beef trachea and a bit of lungs, lamb liver,, heart and intestine (human food grade), ox tail, pork baby ribs, occasionally an entire chichen.

I don't have access to green tripe, so I have to compensate for it, which is why they get a little bit of pureed fruits and veggies, about 1 tsp per 10kg per day, and salmon oil for their coat. I also have to add a little bit of spirulina for one of them, whose immune system is compromised. He is seropositive for a virus, quite common here in Greece, so his immune system has to be monitored closely.

What I feed them follows the principle of the BARF diet, which includes some supplements. But my problem is more with one of them not eating regularly, and being a 10 months old large breed puppy, I'm a bit concerned
Old August 12th, 2011, 10:37 AM

How much do you feed each day? Do they go without eating for several days or just a meal here and there? Did you notice a trend of some sort with what they will/wont eat? (ie. if you add say liver, they wont eat...)

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old August 12th, 2011, 01:35 PM

I think we found out why they don't eat. Because they were used to cooked food, whenever cook meat for us, the little one doesn't eat his food, cause he wants ours, which is probably feels is more palatable.

A couple of friends, whose dogs are also on BARF, had the same issues the first month or so, especially with their younger dogs. They convinced me mine was playing me out, not to give up and to keep on serving him his chicken necks everyday, until he's hungry enough to stop being a big baby...

Today, victory, he came and asked loudly for his food, and ate what I gave him... Smarter bugger than I thought, I underestimated him

Thanks for all your help, I'm still new at BARF and at stubborn puppies.