Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old August 5th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy Never before seen destructive Beetle

In all the years of attempting to garden,I have never seen these before,they eat holes in Roses,Rose of Sharon and now the Hibiscus..there seems to be a lot around,anyone know what they are,other than just Beetles,oh and they fly.
Attached Images

Old August 5th, 2010, 04:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Is that a Japanese beetle, chico? They're an imported pest....don't know how they got here, but they do a lot of damage here, too, and don't have many natural predators.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 5th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Those are all over my rose bushes . I finally put chicken wire around them to keep the deer from them and these beetles have eaten my flowers. Also, they have destroyed my birch trees.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hazel I think you hit the nail on the head! We could always have Bendy have a look!

Heres a link I found on them! ewww

http://www.ag.purdue.edu/counties/ma...seBeetles.aspx
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 5th, 2010, 09:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They seem to be really bad one year, then not so bad the next. Haven't seen one for a while now, which means they'll probably be bad again next year

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 6th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
They seem to be really bad one year, then not so bad the next. Haven't seen one for a while now, which means they'll probably be bad again next year
They have moved east to my place

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 6th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's Winston,that's exactly what they are and I suspected they were some Asian creature,but was afraid to sound racist
Not much good seem to come from Asia

So far I've had hubby pluck them off,but there are a lot,maybe I'll have him go around with a bucket of soapy water to all my flowers and drown them.
Old August 6th, 2010, 09:59 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

chico, around here they have bags that are treated with some sort of scent or pheromone that attracts the Japanese beetles. They do attract more beetles to the area of the bag, so if you get one, hang it away from the gardens, but they do trap and kill lots of the beetles. Every beetle you eradicate this summer will mean fewer beetles next year!

Old August 6th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,while walking Bailey today,we visited a friend,she's a supreme gardener and all her Roses,Dahlias,Calla-Lilies +others I can't remember,are eaten,she has tons of the Japanese Beetle.
I only have a few each day,but enough to be a problem with my flowers,we pick them off and kill them in a bucket with detergent and water.
I guess I should say hubby does the execution,I am weird,don't like to kill anything
I have not seen anything like you describe in the stores,but I'll check again.
Old August 6th, 2010, 08:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

If the garden stores there don't have any, I'll bet they'd be able to order some, chico.

Old August 6th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Chico you know I am not too far from you and I have not seen any of those at all thank god! I have a problem with alot of earwigs this year. I actually had 2 earwigs that were perfectly white and full grown....gross....

I hope the detergent works! can you apply it to the flowers with a spray bottle? to save the plant before they get on it?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 6th, 2010, 09:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

No, I think you have to check your plants for beetles every day, Winston. When you see them, you pluck them off the plant and throw them in soapy water... If you have a lot of beetles it can be overwhelming...

Old August 7th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

We don't have many,so we will stick with just drowning them.
My friend has an enormous garden,I'll tell her about those bag-thingys.
Winston,sometimes you don't see them right away,but you'll notice holes in your flower-petals,mind you my in friends garden,they also eat leaves..