Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 29th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

The first Hibiscus..

It seems to me,I am the only one posting flower-pics
Yeah,I know I am retired have lots more time than most of you,but still...
Here is the first Hibiscus in bloom,tons of buds to bloom yet and last year I bought a dark red Hibiscus,it has yet to bloom,lots of buds there too..
Attached Images

Old July 29th, 2010, 08:16 AM
-

I love those flowers Chico, I always thought they were tricky to grow but have been reading up on them and they are rated zone 4 and don't seem to mind a bit of shade...am I right?....I'm gonna have to get one or two.

My g/f in town, a friend bought her a brilliant orange one in a pot, I'm still trying to convince her to plant it in her garden, but she's not convinced and thinks it will survive better if she overwinters it in the house
Old July 29th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Very beautiful, chico .

Are they perennials? I always thought they were annuals

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:19 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It's beautiful, chico! Such nice big blossoms! Do they smell nice, too?

I have flower pics, but didn't think anyone would be interested. Same ol' flowers as last year....none of them as spectacular as yours.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor

That's a very eye catching hibiscus. Beautiful!
Hazel, I wasn't here last year so I'd love to see your photo's. I have a ton from last year here but as we're in the depths of winter now the only colour would be things like this potted bulb, Lachenalia quadricolor.
Attached Images

Old July 29th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Chris,tell your friend to plant them outside,they'll come back every year.

L4H,I have had that one for about 10yrs,you just cut them down to about 2 inches from the ground in the spring and they'll come back.
My new one I bought at Costco at the end of the season fot $4,99 and it too is doing great.
It is a really dark beautiful red.

Hazel,I have posted the same pics,I post every year,my garden does not change much,but there is always new people,like Goldfields,who has not seen them,also I do not mind seeing them over and over..
Goldfields,that plant looks like candyLOL
Old July 29th, 2010, 04:48 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I love those flowers Chico, I always thought they were tricky to grow but have been reading up on them and they are rated zone 4 and don't seem to mind a bit of shade...am I right?....I'm gonna have to get one or two.

My g/f in town, a friend bought her a brilliant orange one in a pot, I'm still trying to convince her to plant it in her garden, but she's not convinced and thinks it will survive better if she overwinters it in the house
Make sure Chris before you totally convince her to plant it outside that she has a perennial that is truly hardy to zone 4. Some are not. There is a mini golf course in London On that has absolutely gorgeous hibiscus. Some of the plants are around 6 or 7 feet tall and are very hardy. You know how cold London is. I would just caution her to cover it with lots of mulch over winter if she is concerned. I have two small ones here. They are not in great earth so I am thinking of moving them. Just find me the time.

Chico - yours is just beautiful!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 29th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Senior Contributor

The colouring on that lachenalia is unusual, chico2, and I didn't realise it but there are lots of different lachenalias, I only have 3 of them. The rest might only be available through rare plant nurseries. I love the 4 colours on this one anyway, nice and cheery on a dull, overcast winter's day. I often think that most people couldn't design some of the delights that nature comes up with.
I love the ribbing on the petals of your hibiscus. Can I please show your photo to a friend here who grows a lot of hibiscus, she may know if it is available here?
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Of course you can Goldfields
The only thing with Hibiscuses,the flower only lasts one day,but I have a lot of buds,mine is about 5 feet tall,grows right next to my Butterfly bush.
Old July 30th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, I'll do that shortly then. I have a few hibiscus cuttings in my little growhouse, a double red, a pink and I think a yellow, but they aren't looking like survivors. I may have to stop buying roses and buy a few hibiscus instead. I'd love to know what your rainfall is there because in everyone's photo's it looks so lush and green. We are temperate verging on semi arid here. Oh, it's a 17 inch average annual rainfall, IF we are lucky to get that much.