Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 6th, 2003, 09:14 AM

standard poodle

I hope it is okay to post this--I noticed some other sites saying can't ask for 'breeder dog'--so please forgive me if I am not supposed to write this...
I have the sweetest black standard poodle. Her mother was white and her father black (or vice versa--I can't remember!). She has papers and some champions in her heritage. I am not a breeder and don't want to be but I would very much like her to have puppies, just once. I want to keep one--the 'parents' of the father can have one, and any others I would give to a good home. I have some friends that have expressed desire to have one if I do this and I know they would provide wonderful homes (wish they would adopt me!!). Please if you have a standard male poodle who is able to have babies and this arrangement sounds acceptable to you please do contact me (shirih@aol.com). Only dogs with sweet personality accepted. My dog (Shana!) is just the sweetest (and smart). Everyone loves her and I can take her almost anywhere with me--I would take her everywhere, but she's not allowed!!

Hope this post goes up and that I get responses. Or at least if I could be pointed in the right direction.

Thank you!
Old November 6th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

First of you , you shouldn't post this here - no solicitations for breeding partners is allowed, but please read my response without becoming indignant and angry.

Have you shown your dog to a championship? Has she had all health testing completed and been cleared of HD and any genetic defects common to the breed? No reputable breeder would consider breeding a dog who has none of the above, and they certainly would not be searching out studs on internet message boards.

Do you know that on Petfinder alone, there are over 600 poodles and poodle mixes listed? if you think of the thousands of shelters around the country, I can't even hazard a guess at the number of poodles being dumped and killed all the time. Do you know how many of them end up this way because someone wanted to breed their sweet, beautiful dog "just once"?

Your friends can get their own dogs. And you will dismayed at how many of them change their minds once the puppies are here. IF none of the puppies die, or your dog doesn't die during whelping. This happens, or your bitch may be unable to nurse - can you bottle feed a large litter of puppies from day 1? Would your employer understand you need to take a month off to feed puppies? Do you have the money to pay for a possible emergency C-section if your bitch can't whelp normally?

Are you prepared to keep possibly 10 large poodles, until you can get responsible, lifetime homes for them? Will you take back any of them for any reason during their lifetime? You will be responsible for these puppies for the duration of their lives. And if you want to be responsible at all, you will have all the puppies s/n before they go to their new homes. If you don't, you will probably have the guilt of knowing that dogs you brought into the world are ending up euthanized at shelters.

I'm sure your dog is wonderful - mine is purebred, sweet, loving, beautiful, smart and adorable too and she is SPAYED - but that is NOT a good reason to bring more dogs into the world, when millions are being slaughtered merely because they have no homes. Please spay your dog and enjoy her as a loving pet and don't let other sweet and loving dogs die merely because you want puppies.

From the tone of your post, I can see that you are a caring person, and you know that breeding your dog is NOT the right thing to do - and yes, you ARE a breeder even if it's only once.

I know you will do what you want, but please take a good look at this site and consider it carefully.
Breeding
Old November 6th, 2003, 01:21 PM

response

Thank you very much for all the information you gave me.

I think I will see if I can get another poodle from a 'dog rescue site'. I just wouldn't do anything intentionally that could harm my dog in any way. She really is the sweetest--I think all dogs have their own unique personality and I have had dogs before but not as sweet as this one.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write and providing me with all your knowledge and insight.
Old November 6th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Re: response

Quote:
Originally posted by shirih
Thank you very much for all the information you gave me.

And thank YOU for listening! So many people ask advice, then get hostile and defensive if they don't hear what they want to.

Coincidentally, this post just appeared on a pit bull board I moderate:

I helped a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago that her female was having her first litter. It was quite the fiasco, but we all got through it and the dam had 10 pups. She called me last night and said that she can't get the mother to eat enough and is nothing but skin and bones, the pups won't bottle feed and they have yellow diarrhea. She is frantic and doesn't know what to do and can't afford to take them all to the vet because she used up all her spare cash for the month on vet bills before they were born.

And this kind of horror story is NOT uncommon!

Oh, and I know of no rescues who will adopt out dogs to people with intact animals (unless the dog is being shown and even then they are hesitant) so if you want one, you will have to spay your bitch first.

Rescue dogs are great! My own gorgeous, sweet and lovable dog is from a rescue!