Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
Owned by goldens

New kitten

My son adopted a 9 week old kitten on the weekend. Luna is very sweet and seems to be adjusting quite well. She is extremely affectionate wanting always to be with one of us. She follows me around the house if my son isn't home. She loves to explore open cupboard doors and the dishwasher but doesn't show much of an interest in toys.
Her poops have been a bit loose although not watery. She wasn't eating much (in my opinion) so I put some warm water in her food and she gobbled it up.
I have never had a cat in my life and feel like such a novice. How do I know if she eating enough? She seems very thin. She was dewormed, is already spayed and still has the stitches. It seems awfully young to be spayed but it was already done.
What can I expect of a kitten of this age? She is very calm so far but I have read that some kittens are wild, biting etc..... Is this the honeymoon period? Is she going to go wild once she adjusts?
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
-

I don't remember ... it's been a long time since I had a kitten. But I think she may be a bit too young still .... and is not feeling 100% home yet ? Give her a few weeks

the dogs are ok with her ?
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:02 PM
Kitty pimp

well hi and welcome whats the kits name if she has one yet ? i wouldn worry bout slightly watery poop right now kits eat a lot and grow like weeds and hydration is a good thing how did you come by her? and did you talk to the vet? sounds like she is a very social kit and probaly will stay that way make sure she cant get into any chemicals or cleaners

kitttens are great and will have a lot of enrergy and curiosity as i am sure your finding out
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Ahem?! No pics of little Luna?

The loose stool could be from all the changes in her life and should hopefully subside soon. What is she eating? Maybe some probiotics or slippery elm powder will help firm things up a bit.

As for the crazy kitten antics and biting, that may still be coming. Just don't use your hands as a play toy! What kinds of toys does she have now? I find that wand or fishing rod style toys are good for getting a cat going. Maybe Luna needs something interactive like that (although a wadded up ball of paper or tinfoil usually work better than anything you can buy at the store).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 4th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Owned by goldens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I don't remember ... it's been a long time since I had a kitten. But I think she may be a bit too young still .... and is not feeling 100% home yet ? Give her a few weeks

the dogs are ok with her ?
I only have Hunter now and he is good with everyone and everything. He is actually a bit afraid of her. She growls and hisses at him if he gets too close so he just looks at her and walks away.
She does try to eat out of his bowl while he is eating and he doesn't mind.
Old June 4th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Owned by goldens

Luna

She came from a pet shop I know, I know but my son told me he was going to the SPCA. Once he bought her it was too late. The pet shop did make sure she was spayed and vaccinated before selling her.

I do have that wand toy with feathers and a bell on the end. I bought her a big scratching post toy with a base with holes cut out so she could play hide and seek. She has balls which I know she plays with during the day. She wants to go outside and sits by the patio door and meows. I will eventually get her a harness and tie her out but with all the cats in the neighborhood I am going to wait a little while before I do that. I doubt any of my neighbors vaccinate their cats.

Did I mention she is my son's cat?
Old June 4th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Owned by goldens

Picture of Luna

This is Luna
Attached Images

Old June 4th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Aww, what a little sweetie!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Catlover2

Bad idea tying a cat outside

I hope your son will raise her as an indoor cat. He can train her to a harness, but a cat should never ever be tied outside unless you are there. Too many bad things can happen. A friend of mine tied her cat to an outside porch and later found it had hung itself. :sad: She was beside herself for contributing to this tragedy. Luna could be attacked by a dog or another cat and not be able to escape. Bad idea! hope you can keep sweet Luna as an indoor cat, or walked on a leash only.
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Owned by goldens

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
I hope your son will raise her as an indoor cat. He can train her to a harness, but a cat should never ever be tied outside unless you are there. Too many bad things can happen. A friend of mine tied her cat to an outside porch and later found it had hung itself. :sad: She was beside herself for contributing to this tragedy. Luna could be attacked by a dog or another cat and not be able to escape. Bad idea! hope you can keep sweet Luna as an indoor cat, or walked on a leash only.
She will be an indoor cat and will only go outside on a harness if I am with her. My dog doesn't go out in the backyard unless I am with him.
Old June 4th, 2009, 08:30 PM
-

awwww she's too cute ! Must be so cute when she eats "with" Hunter
Old June 5th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

A petstore that spays so young? I think that is amazing...PM me the Petstore - I would love to know what petstore offers such a service.
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Senior Contributor

She is adorable! I have always wanted a silver/grey tabby cat.

9 weeks seems so early to me to be spayed. Our vet wouldn't do my cats until 6 months old. Are u feeding her canned food? She is too young I think to be able to chew dry food. If she was mine, I would just keep putting food in her dish when it's empty. As kittens burn a lot of calories. Which u will find out once she starts running. *G*

Debbie

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
Absolutely, cats need to be supervised while being tied outside.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey