Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 18th, 2005, 03:03 PM

cats that shed less

does anyone know which type of cats shed the least, or just less then domestic short hairs? do siamese cats shed less? I personally would love to just get any kind of cat that needs a home, but other people in my family dont like the shedding (its not that they're alergic, or dont want any shedding at all). So thats why i was wondering about siamese cat because i know there are lots that need homes, and i would rather adopt a cat then go to a breeder.
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know of any cats who shed less than others. Shedding can be somewhat controlled with regular brushing and a good diet.

For a cat that doesn't shed, you'll probably have to get a hairless cat.

Sphynx cats
Old January 18th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Actually the cornish rex and devon rex are supposed to be like what poodles are in dogs. They shed very little. Gorgeous cats.
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:29 PM

Rag dolls are supposed to have a very thin undercoat, so they may shed less.
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:48 PM

have you ever looked at spyhinx's the have almost no hair just a layer a peach fuzz kinda stuff, the look weird but are very freindly
Old January 18th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Feline Lunch Lady

Rag Dolls

Nope - my sister has a rag doll cat (beautiful cat...) - but he sheds loads! And she gives him a good brushing a minimum of once a day (he loves his brushings).
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Rag dolls are so cute but their grooming needs are much more than the average cat. Mind you, I groom my Siamese once a day and she loves it but Siamese have very thin coats and need much much less than Rag dolls or Persoans. Siamese still shed though - Other than the Sphinx - who are constantly freezing (tho Siamese do not like the cold too much either) - because they are hairless, they is really no such entity as a shed free cat. Sphynx are kind of sort of so ugly they are cute kitties imho. But I doubt it would be fair to one of them to have them anywhere that has winter - even as an indoor cat. I suppose if you kept them warm and in a blanket all the time.
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:04 PM

Talking Cats that shed less

Hi I have four cornish rex and yes they shed very little,but they do shed.Their personalities are a blast they are incredible affectionate and are great with kids and other pets.As far as looks I think mine are GORGEOUS but I'm probably biased.I also have an old himmy who sheds very little but that could be because of her diet.If you are interested in rex there are some very good breed rescues.
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Agreed, we got our rex (see avitar) due to allergies. Side effect is the shedding. When he hangs out in one spot there is a fuzz that you'll find on black surfaces, but not long hair. Hardly noticable.
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Kitty Mum

In my personal experience, I find that short haired cats shed FAR more than medium to long haired cats. I have three cats... Jesse is a domestic short hair and sheds LOADS. I have to groom him daily or I find little black hairs all over. Fidel is a Maine Coon and rarely sheds. He does shed a little (but not much), and I only need to groom him once a week. He is very clean though and keeps himself very pretty Orlando, is a medium hair cat and never sheds (but he is only 6 mons). I had Siamese when I was younger and they both were pretty good in the shedding department. They only needed to be groomed once a week, and with that you rarely saw their hair on the furniture or clothes.

Good luck on your search for a rescue baby! Please post pictures if you can
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Just typing this while on a quick brake - having one of THOSE days!! - anecdotally and you know how I feel about that method, (NOT great), I have to say the opposite. My Siamese with her thin coat sheds very little in comparison to my previous cats and rabbit - never mind dogs, a chocolate lab is in a category all his own!! I find it much less work re the hair. She makes up for it though in her energy and managing to get into things.
Old January 19th, 2005, 03:14 PM
vivilee
Guest (limited permissions)

I've heard that diet plays a big role in how much a cat sheds as well. You may want to look into finding the best cat food if your cat sheds a lot.
Old January 19th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Just a note, found out the hard way: If you have chapped lips, NEVER use lip balm and then kiss a black cat.

I was to embarrassed for words the other day...
Old January 19th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

My Winnie is a DSH.She barely sheds.Now Casper,who is a DMH sheds.His fur is more like an angora.It's very soft.His shedding has become less since we switched to the Performatrin Ultra.So yes,I agree that the diet plays a key role with the shedding.