Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:28 AM

Stubborn Rottie

Well I got you normal hard headed male rottie. I have no clue what else to do with him. he is excellent with other dogs excellent with kids just wont listen if hi slife depended on him. He will listen to men but not women. I can tell him to sit stay come lie down shut up whatever he knows what they mean cause if I have enough and put a tone into my voice or have a cookie in my hand he does what I tell him to on first command. I am getting so frustrated though it is like I am talking to a deaf dog. Please HELP ME!!!!!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you had him enrolled in obedience classes?

If not,then I would.....Just my suggestion....
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:49 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I agree, obedience class.

Kids to dogs are on the lower scale of the pack heirarchy.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

There are two rottie people on this board - hope one of them sees this!

I believe this kind of stubborness is normal for the breed. Just make sure you are able to enforce any command you give him, so he will learn he can't just blow you off! For example, you say "Sit" - he doesn't do it. Don't repeat the command over and over. This just teaches him to ignore you. Just snap on his leash and help him sit, so he will know that obeying you is not optional.

My pit bull, while very soft tempered, sometimes thinks she will just ignore a known command. I don't care if I have to stand in the street for 15 minutes. When I say "Heel" she IS going to do it, so she's learned she may as well do it the first time I tell her to.

I too suggest obedience classes for you and this guy!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, yes, obedience classes would be the best probably. You need to become alpha with your dog again. If he'll listen to an alpha, you need to become alpha. Always inforce a command once you have given it. Dogs are sometimes stubborn, but it sounds like you have a case of the dog trying to become boss.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:11 PM

So bribe the little bugger

Wife has same problem with our big white German Shepherd. I can tell him to do something and he does it. It wasn't always this way but on two occassions I have had to take him to the mat and hold him down until he remembered I was ALPHA. It doesn't hurt him just gives him a gentle attitude adjustment. Only had to do it twice in 6 years.
My wife can tell him to do something and he just looks at her like she is speaking a foreign language and he does not have a clue or a translator.
He will defend her with his life - loves her to death- always wants to play ball with her but will not do what she says. He will not sit or stay on command for her but will down stay if he is about to do something he knows he shouldn't and will really get in deep doo with her if he does it.
Dog is not dumb. If she offers him a treat he will do anything-first time-every time....
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Little rat... lol.
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:21 PM

Woodbyter you explained my dog to a t with explaining your dog. He is exactly like that. My dog though is a real jerk he will literally tell me no. I will tell him to sit and he will shake his head no at me. No lie. It's so annoying then the 2nd or 3rd time I tell him to sit he will but he will sit to scratch his ear then he will lie down. Kinda like saying to me "there I sat but no tcause you told me to". SO I have started when he shakes his head I say dont tell me now I said SIT and I will make him sit even though he ways more than me I can make him do it lol! If he sits to scratch then I will put his paw back on the ground. Showing him that this is what I said and you are doing it. I have started to also make him stay. Instead of ssaying stay then if he moves he moves I will tell him to stay and sit right beside him then if he goes to move I go to put my hand back out and say stay and ready to grab him if he bolts he is now not even attmpting to move. Basically I used to let my dog get away with things cause it was a worthless cause cause all he did was make me sound like a broken record. NOw forget it I tell him to do something he is gonna do it. I was scared of him hating me but I have now realized that is what he needs to know who is boss. HE knows my hysband is boss and wont mess with him well now he is gonna know me as boss as well.