Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old September 26th, 2011, 09:27 PM

4 Month old Kitten, very sick.

Hello everyone,
I have a four month old kitten and before I ask for the straight answer I'll give you some of her medical history. She was previously a barn-cat and when we first got her she had the sniffles (upper respiratory infection) got her antibiotics and it started to go away. Lots of life in the kitty when it started to go away. But then again it came back(about 2 weeks later, we had left her with her sister kitty, not alone, while we went on vacation for one week) So more antibiotics but this time her 3rd eye lids were showing so we got her eye drops as well. Now about a week ago she was slowly starting to show signs of recovery until on the weekend she had 2 very severe seizures. She would come in and out of them for hours, she couldn't hear or see, I had to hold her for about two hours in order to calm her down. We took her to the vet immediately on Monday. We have a very good vet however the only news she gave us is that the seizures would slowly become worse until she may never come out of them (euthanasia) or we could take her to a neurologist for astronomical costs. So I played it by ear, and she hasn't had a seizure for the last 7 days. Which clearly made me optimistic, however, she is getting more and more lethargic. She holds her front-left leg as if it's a wooden peg, she's constantly tripping over it and sometimes unintentionally walks on an angle. She also probably has enough energy to walk 20 feet and by then she just collapses. She is two pounds underweight, however since the seizures she has been eating much more often.

So now don't recommend taking her to the vet because that will go nowhere. What I want to know is if any of you have seen these symptoms before and have something more definitive. Because of her sluggishness I was thinking maybe an anemia so about two days ago I switched her diet to IAMS. If more of you think it maybe blood related I will certainly take her in for a blood test. Hoping one of you has an answer. Sorry for the huge paragraph.

P.S. she's been nibbling at cat litter, I watch her every time she goes to her litter box and immediately stop her from an afternoon snack (yes it is clumping litter.)

Thank you,
Old September 26th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna112 View Post
But then again it came back(about 2 weeks later, we had left her with her sister kitty, not alone, while we went on vacation for one week)
Was anyone checking in on them while you were away?

Quote:
So more antibiotics
Do you know the name of the antibiotics, and what antibiotics she was given previously?

Quote:
but this time her 3rd eye lids were showing so we got her eye drops as well.
What were the eye drops? Did you get them from the vet?

Quote:
We have a very good vet however the only news she gave us is that the seizures would slowly become worse until she may never come out of them (euthanasia) or we could take her to a neurologist for astronomical costs.
Was any blood work done?

Quote:
Because of her sluggishness I was thinking maybe an anemia so about two days ago I switched her diet to IAMS.
Which flavour? Dry or wet? What was she eating before you switched?

Quote:
P.S. she's been nibbling at cat litter, I watch her every time she goes to her litter box and immediately stop her from an afternoon snack (yes it is clumping litter.)
Clay clumping? If so, please switch to something else, like a non-clumping newspaper based litter. Eating clumping litter can be extremely dangerous and unless you're guarding the box 24/7, she will probably sneak some while you aren't watching. Litter-eating can be a sign of anemia, or it can just be a type of pica (eating inedible substances).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 27th, 2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Was anyone checking in on them while you were away?
Yes she was at someone else's house. She got sick again probably about 2 days before we arrived.

Do you know the name of the antibiotics, and what antibiotics she was given previously?
The antibiotics is: Clavamox drops.

What were the eye drops? Did you get them from the vet?
The eye drops are: Fucithalmic* Vet Eye Gel

Was any blood work done?
There hasn't been blood work done.

Which flavour? Dry or wet? What was she eating before you switched?
She has always been on dry food, we tried wet food with her and she won't eat it. When the seizures started happening she was on SmartKitty

Clay clumping? If so, please switch to something else, like a non-clumping newspaper based litter. Eating clumping litter can be extremely dangerous and unless you're guarding the box 24/7, she will probably sneak some while you aren't watching. Litter-eating can be a sign of anemia, or it can just be a type of pica (eating inedible substances).
Also, she had another seizure last night...
Old September 27th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Yes she was at someone else's house. She got sick again probably about 2 days before we arrived.
Is there any possibility that she got into something toxic while there? Maybe a houseplant, medications, pesticides? Even some foods like onion and garlic can be toxic to cats. Might be worth asking the person looking after her if they can think of anything.

Quote:
The antibiotics is: Clavamox drops.
Okay, just making sure it wasn't a Convenia injection, which can cause deadly anemia in some cats. Is she still on the Clavamox?

Quote:
The eye drops are: Fucithalmic* Vet Eye Gel
Not too familiar with the use of this in cats. Has it helped the goopy eyes?

Quote:
There hasn't been blood work done.
Might be a good idea, at the very least to see where to go from there. I would have her tested for FIV and FeLV as well.

Quote:
Also, she had another seizure last night...

Oh no! That's not good. Can you maybe keep a log book describing the circumstances surrounding each seizure? Like the time of day, what she was doing when it happened, how long it lasted, stuff like that. It might help provide some clues for the vet.

My fingers are crossed that this is a passing thing and she outgrows whatever is ailing her. Let us know what happens.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 28th, 2011, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the help, had a vet appointment today in the morning. But Luna never came out of her seizure last night and passed away.
Old September 28th, 2011, 08:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry, Luna112

Luna

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 28th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

My sincere condolences to you on Luna's death. Such a tragically short life, but at least it was filled with your love for her.

Old September 28th, 2011, 05:35 PM

I'm sorry to hear that Luna wasn't able to pull through
I saw you had mentioned her 'sister kitty'. I would highly suggest keeping a close eye on any other felines that she may have been in contact with, just in case it was something contagious.
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:00 PM

sweet Luna She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge with those who've gone before

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying