Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

View Poll Results: Whats your choice
#1 0 0%
#2 0 0%
#3 24 85.71%
#4 0 0%
#5 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 4th, 2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
Prin..... take a look at your post and the ingredients listed above lol
Yeah, you said you were feeding wellness, so I assumed #5 was wellness, but I was wondering why I didn't recognize the ingredients right away, and it was because of the tomato being added and the whitefish being bumped.
Old February 4th, 2007, 11:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_B View Post
I agree with what prin said
Doesn't everybody? I'd pick #3 and then #5 too.
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
They also bumped the whitefish down. It used to be significant enough to slightly help the coat, but I'm not sure it will now.

Fish meat that low on the list is not going to have that big an impact on the coat in either the new or old formula(less than the amount of Canola oil, since it is the fat from the fish, only a very thin layer on the outside of a fish under the skin that helps the coats I would much rather see in the form of wild pacific salmon oil used instead.

If I had only 2 foods to choose from I would rather choose chicken and rice food preserved with BHA/BHT than a lake fish based food to me safer, sandwich breads contains BHA/BHT there is not government warning to limit consumption of how many slices of bread one can eat like with lake fish where people are warned not to eat more than 2 meals a month of pan sized lake fish, larger fish should not even be eaten at all especially by pregnant women and children, on indian reserve where natives are eating greater amounts of fish there are high rates of cancer and severe birth defects

This is what is found in lake fish flesh
Quote:
2 metals (mercury and 5 forms of arsenic)
17 dioxins and furans
159 PCB congener measurements
46 pesticides
40 other semi-volatile organics (e.g., phenols)
46 PBDE congener measurements (fourth year samples only)
When dogs or any living being ingests these kinds of toxic chemicals they just don't pass through the body and pooped out, our bodies are designed to be part of natures enviroment clean up, the liver seperates these chemicals and then they get stored in fat cells for safe keeping to try and prevent them from ending up in other organs or bloodstream, but there is only a limited amount fat storage space once that run out the chemicals then will enter the organs , and flesh where they can do the most harm, we can handle small amounts safely, there is no way to avoid all and it is acccumulative over a life time, so it is important to restrict how much we put in, after the Chernobyl accident , food crops in Poland where severely affected, Scientist is the Soviet block countries knew large number of people would die in the area if something was not done, so the Soviet bloc countries rotated the food supply throughout the bloc countries, so there would still be enough food but by spreading the food around made it safer to consume, because people were eating levels that could be safely stored in their bodies.

Fish has good sources of omega fatty acids there is not doubt of that but it(particularily lake fish) contains heavy amounts of toxic chemicals as well, so it is important weigh the risks over the benefits
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:13 PM

Salmon is a lake fish?
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:04 AM

Byrd - I give my pup eggs and yougurt to give her more nutrition since she is growing right now (9 months of lab puppy!) and due to finances I have her on a kind of crappy food (as soon as I get my first paycheck at the new job her food is changed!!!) but the add-ins make me feel better about what I feed her (plus it's all stuff I buy for myself too).

I give her the eggs raw. Cooking denatures the proteins, but I don't think it takes away the nutrition from them. I used to cook her eggs because I was worried that I would make her sick or something (plus they were really slimy and I didn't like looking at it... I'm not usually squeemish around food, but eggs, for some reason, I am...). I also break up the egg shells and give them to her mixed into her kibble. she loves chewing on them!!!

I also feed her yougurt mixed into her kibble (not at the same time as the eggs, I rotate between eggs, yougurt, cottage cheese and canned fishes like sardines (her favorite), tuna and salmon)). I have heard that it should be plain yougurt, but I give her fruit-flavoured yougurt too (like strawberry, blueberry or banana).

When I change foods I am totally going for #3!!! I hope I can find it in Edmonton....
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Answers!!!!

Choice #1
Pro Plan Selects ( adult)
Natural Turkey and Barley Formula

Choice #2
Pedigree Healthy Vitality.

Choice #3
Solid Gold Wolf King Formula (http://solidgoldhealth.com/products/...id=62&code=170 )

Choice #4
Purina Dog Chow (Adult)
(http://www.dogchow.com/Products/Deta...ntProductID=11)

Choice #5
Wellness Chicken super5mix
(http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/well...x_chicken.html )
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow!! NO ONE voted for the crappy foods....

What was the vote on the other board Erykah?

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

12 votes for Solid gold , 1 vote for ProPlan ( from the corn pusher in the bunch), and 13 for wellness... I posted this there because of all the debate lately on foods. There are a few who push the corn issue saying its a great source of protien and bla bla bla, yet only 1 had the gonads to actually pick that food. Everyone is quick to put EVO,Solid Gold, Wellness and Canidae down when someone reccomends them...
That was the results though
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

yeah corn is a GREAT source of protein -- that's why it all comes out their pooper!!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 6th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
Salmon is a lake fish?

Pacific Salmon come in from the ocean inland into rivers to spawn/lay ad fertilize eggs and then they die

once the eggs hatch the young fry will spend a short period of time in the river, then will travel out to the ocean to live till is is their time to spawn

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/zone/underw...n-saumon_e.htm

Most of their lifespan is spent in the ocean, as a result they are less contaminated

there are lake salmon especially in the great lakes but if they are hanging out in some of areas of the lake they are so heavily contaminated that there are warnings not to eat them at all not matter what size they are.

I do not expect anyone to take my word for a fact, do an internet search keywords "Lake fish toxic " "Lake fish consumption" look specifically for US and Canadian state, provincial and country government websites they tell you just how bad the situation is with fish and they have publications telling how much fish caught from certain areas are safe for people to eat, when the fishing trawlers come in the fish is sorted , small pan fish is sold for human consumption, they will fetch a bigger dollar, next up is larger fish which goes to animal feed, the monster fish diseased or deformed fish will be sold as use in producing fertilizers.

I know one study was done by Canada on an Indian reserve on the St Lawrence seaway with regards to the effects of fish on their diets and the effects on the native population, possiblt can find on a internet search as well
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown