Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 20th, 2007, 04:57 PM
sucker for shelter dogs

Innova EVO Red Meat or Solid Gold Barking at the Moon?

Does anyone prefer one over the other?
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:33 PM

Both have pros and cons... IMO, you just have to try them out. EvoRM was really bad for Jemma and she has done awesome on BATM. Boo is doing great on RM but one BATM kibble gives him crazy gas. But I also give both 1/2 and 1/2 now with Canidae lamb and rice..
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:14 PM
sucker for shelter dogs

You've got a lot of food going on there, Prin. LOL!

Is there a reason you decided to mix the BATM and RM with the lamb and rice?

Rusty and Raven were on BATM previously and had no issues with it other than licking their girly parts a little more than usual which made me think the higher protein was affecting the pH of their urine or something. Whether it was linked to the food or not I have no idea. Our latest try with the Go! Natural Salmon and Oatmeal hasn't worked out so well (Rusty has had crazy gas on it, has been eating grass and vomiting and Raven turns her nose up at it..sigh) so I thought I'd give the BATM another try and see if they start licking again. Hopefully not. I just don't know what else to try what with Raven's allergies (we've tried nearly everything) and all the recent recalls.
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Yeah, it's tough, eh? Have you tried the Canidae lamb and rice? That was my next food to try, but I found the protein levels too low, which is why I mix now... Seems to work for them.
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Honest Contributor

you could do canidae L&R as prin suggests, and supplement with canned desalted ocean fish to boost the protein content...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 21st, 2007, 12:35 AM
Senior Contributor

My gang all eat EVO RM and are doing very well on, I went with the red meat formula because my gang gets bored or find the white meats to bland

The have been on the EVO and on Canidae(regular formula) in the past and it always went the same they start off eating good for a couple months and then go thru months of being fussy

On the RM formula they have remained consistent and look forward excitedly for their supper, have been feeding for a couple years now

Blood work results have been good on my gang Sunny my 9 year old grey who borke his leg twisted his knee and screwed up back a couple times when younger , with the enlarged spleen he is carrying much more weight.

I really expected to see him having joint problems and signs of arthritis with the amount of joint damage he has had and he has recently been taking an interest in chasing after Winnie in the yard when he started he had me worried of him overdoing it since he has be lazy for so long more pretty much since Callie passed away,

Nikki last month went thru a series of xray as she is nearing 10, she has signs of mild patella problems when she was 2 so the x-rays were of her shoulders back hips legs to see if she has any arthritis issues, the only place the vet could find any signs of arthriitis is a tiny bit in her toes, if her had not been looking after her since she was a puppy he would swear by looking at the x-rays that she is only 5 or 6 years old.

This article I sound might explain why my oldies are doing well

Quote:
More Grains, More Insulin, More Inflammation

A highly processed, grain-based diet fed to an animal designed to thrive on a meat-based, fresh food diet is very likely to produce symptoms of ill health over time. Diets to address disease most frequently deal with the symptoms that are the result of a lifetime of inappropriate food, not the true cause of their symptoms. The optimum diet for a dog or a cat should closely resemble their natural diet.

A diet balanced heavily toward grain promotes insulin production and the production of inflammatory chemicals. Over-production of insulin makes it hard for the body to maintain its correct weight, and can lead to diabetes and other problems. An overabundance of inflammatory chemicals means more aches and pains.

Improve the balance of your dog's diet by reducing grain, and you may not need the dangerous non-steroidal and steroid drugs so commonly prescribed for dogs.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old April 21st, 2007, 12:38 AM

I'm glad your doggies are doing so well, OG!
Old April 21st, 2007, 12:46 AM
Live well, laugh often

Good info OG, nice to see ya back, we've missed you .
Old April 21st, 2007, 12:57 AM
-

I second that and WOO HOO for your doggies.
Old April 21st, 2007, 01:43 AM
Live well, laugh often

Don't forget Orijen if you are looking for grain-free foods. They even have a new fish one for those of us with chicken sensitive doggies.
Old April 21st, 2007, 08:22 PM

Orijen fish isn't here in Edmonton yet. My local "inside source" store has a bag that he's trying on his dogs but he's unable to sell it yet.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:13 PM

T.o

I would try Timberwolf Organics if you can find it in your area!!!