Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old December 28th, 2007, 11:15 PM

Nutritional Value of Cooked Meat??

I'm just wondering if anybody would happen to know what the nutritional value of beef cooked at 350F for 7hrs would be in comparison to raw??? Would such a long cooking time leash all the good nutrients out?? I have access to as much of this stuff as I want. They cook the beef "heels" (as in the cut of meat that is located right beside the eye of round) and use the resulting juice to make gravy and have no need for the meat itself. I am just wondering if it is worth anything to the dogs to feed in winter, or if after such a long cooking time it is nothing much more than a "filler". If the latter I would feed in the summer time only...

Even the quietest whisper is louder than the loudest gunshot. When? When it speaks the TRUTH!
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I would think most of the flavor would have gone to the liquid, but the actual protein in the meat should still be there. As for the other nutrients, I must admit I'm not sure. However, there is rarely any cooking time limit noted in the various calorie tables for foods (those with the other nutrients listed as well) and some peices of beef do need to cook for quite a while.

One idea might be to look at www.CalorieKing.com because their listing is really quite extensive. There is also www.FitDay.com which has a nutrition table somewhere on their site (it's essentially a site for tracking your calories, training, weight etc, so there is a good food list there).
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:42 PM

I'm new to the whole raw food diet scene but I think I read somewhere in my researching that it's not so much that there is a nutritional loss from cooking meat. The thing is that dogs have a relatively short digestive system and cooked meat is harder to break down, therefore, less nutrients can be absorbed from the cooked meat as it passes thru your pets body. I don't recall where abouts I read that but it seemed to make sense to me.
BS62
Old December 29th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Swift Tribe

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

unfortunately it doesnt list the different meats with the corresponding bones in it. its also missing certain things like taurine but our bodies manufacture taurine like dogs do so its basically a non-issue.

i lost a whole day to that site. maybe even as much as an accumulated week??

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old December 29th, 2007, 06:47 PM

As with any type of meat that is cooked (ours too) the part that you will loose mostly will be the digestive enzymes. You will also have some degradation of the proteins, but you will still have nutritonal value.
Heck if it's not costing anything, I personally would use it as an added bonus, and no as a be all end all.