Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM

coco

[FONT="Tahoma"]

Hello, My puppy coco had diarrhea two weeks ago and took her to the vet they gave me medicine for her and now that the medicine is gone she has diarrhea again. I was told thru a friend to give her pumpkin so I tried that today. I gave her two teaspoons on her food but found a website that she only needs one teaspoon since it is recommeded to give two teaspoons to every 15 pounds and she is only 8 lbs but any way what I need to know is how long do I give her the pumpkin or do I just give it to her indefinatley. Thank you, coco's mom
Old May 3rd, 2008, 07:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What did the vet think was causing the diarrhea? Depending on the cause, you might want to check back with your vet. Sometimes it takes more than one round of meds or a change in food to clear up diarrhea. Pumpkin will add fiber which can help firm up the stool, but it's always best to try to pinpoint the cause of the problem.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:34 PM

coco

She had an GI tract infection and a food alergy from what they found when they did blood tests on her. They gave me medicine for the diarrhea and for her stomach for vomitting. She's not vomitting any more and she is doing well on the food they switched her too but after she was done with the diarrhea medicine it came back again. Coco's mom
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If the diarrhea came back after the meds were gone, I think I'd touch bases with the vet again. It could be that the infection wasn't totally cleared up--or it could be that her allergy has flared up on the new food. I'd give the vet a call--they might want to see her again. They'll probably need another stool sample.

How is she doing on the pumpkin? Is it helping at all?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I would most definitely check with the vet again. What food is your pup allergic to? I have had many mini Dachshunds - food allergies were not one of their problems, but I did go through this with a Lhasa. Another reason to check with the vet is that unusually coloured dogs often suffer from the ailments common to their breed to a greater extent say than the "single" coloured pups - and also from a few other problems. I can imagine what your Dapple looks like - my last angel was a toffee and cream coloured mini Dachshund dapple with hazel eyes and a BIG Miss Piggy nose. He weighed 10 lbs. His stomach was fine but in speaking with people who have new Dachshund pups many are experiencing tummy problems (my Dapple died in April 2004, 10 months to day of his back surgery - not trying to scare you here, just making sure you take every precaution and run to the vet at any sign of dragging). Which food did your vet recommend? As I am sure you have found out, Dachshunds are true gourmands. I look forward to seeing the pictures and hope that all is well. We now have an American Eskimo. I know that many people on the Eskie board give pumpkin to their dogs but I have never done so. My Eskie has been very healthy (touch wood) except for a virus in Dec. 05 at age 1 year, 8 months - and after recovery was put on Hill's I/D for a few days - great for tummy upsets - seems to cure constipation or the runs - so I always keep a few cans on hand for emergency purposes.
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:18 PM

coco

Coco's regular food was the Iam's puppy food and they put her on Iam's low residue food. She is doing well with it so far. The pumpkin seems to be working. I just don't know how long to keep giving it to her. I will finish out the week with it and see what happens after that. If she goes back to having diarrhea again will have to take her back into the vet. coco's mom
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:36 PM

Have the puppy re checked by the Vet.
Let him do a work up and figure out what is wrong. If it was something simple it would have gone away on its own by now. So that means it will probably continue to get worse and more expensive.
Diarrhea can be caused by many things some simple some deadly (parasites, blockage, gastroenteritis, parvo, blockage, diet,) those are just a few off the top of my head without thinking too much.

Last edited by Blathach; May 6th, 2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Please, no self promotion