Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 13th, 2007, 08:45 PM

Question New pet owner/sick cat

Ok, this is the first time I've owned a cat since I've been on my own after college. I picked up a 5 month old cute-as-a-button kitten (that my fiance named Reagan) from our local shelter. He was neutered a week before I got him and got all his shots within that week. The first day he was sneezing and the shelter said that was normal with the shots he got. On Friday, two days after I got him, he became congested and hacking, like he was trying to clear his throat. He has been eating and drinking normally, but has a continously runny nose. He also sneezes and sounds like he is trying to clear the congestion. I was going to wait a couple more days to take him to the vet; I've been told that cat colds can run 7-10 days. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!!
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Senior Contributor

My first instinct was to say wait it out, since he's eating and drinking. But with the throat involvement and the hacking, I'd take him in, why should the poor guy have to suffer when a few days of antibotics will give him relief. It could be something to do with the vaccs, more likely a parting gift from the shelter, it's almost unavoidable when there are large numbers in close proximity.
Old February 13th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Doggie Wench

I definately agree with Badger. If he only received his first vaccination at 5 months of age, he may have picked up an illness prior to this. A visit to the vet is recommended. Hope he feels better soon.
Old February 13th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I would watch him to make sure he keeps eating since cats cannot afford NOT to eat - they have no reserve. They HAVE to eat so if he is so congested that he cannot eat or has trouble smelling - an essential instinct for them - I would take him to the vet asap. Keep hi mas warm as possible - do NOT let him catch any kind of a chill (The thermometer should be above 21C or 70F) and maybe if you have a humidifier, that would help.

There are meds the vet can give him if it does not go away but I would watch him carefully!

Congrats on you new kitty btw!!
Old February 13th, 2007, 11:44 PM

i've notice he has been shivering a bit, my fiance thinks he is just purring, but his body shouldn't be shaking if he's purring, right?
Old February 14th, 2007, 01:31 AM

HELP/worried

ok, having just checked on him, he is starting to squint, closing his right eye and peering out his left. PLEASE, i'm really worried, any help would be wonderful.
Old February 14th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Senior Contributor

To me this sounds like URI(Upper Respitory Infection)..The reason I say this is because when I adopted my cat at 8 weeks,he went through the sneezing,coughing,and runny nose.It was mild(there are 3 forms of this).

As for the squinting,are his eyes watery?

I would definately make a vet appt.
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Try not to worry. If you take him to the vet in the morning for the dope, he should be OK in a few days. The vet might want to give him an injection to get him started, and then probably two weeks of tablets.
Ask for a 3 ml syringe (without the needle), just in case he stops eating, in which case you'll have to force feed him because he cannot not eat. You probably won't have to use it, but it's a good idea to keep a syringe in reserve for such occasions.
He will recover!
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:08 PM

I made a vet appointment today but due to the inclement weather they cancelled on me :/ , so we have one tomorrow at 2. His cough is definitely worse, any suggestions as to what I can do to keep him comfortable in the meantime?
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Nothing to do, really. Make sure he's warm and that he is still eating, even if only a small amount. You could try giving him some canned food, maybe something fishy, so he's getting his liquids. Please don't give him any human meds, very risky.
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

A friend of mine's cat had the same problem,to ease his congestion and breathing,he put a Vic-humidifier(minus the Vic) thingy in where the cat is sleeping.
More than likely antibiotics will fix your kitties problem,lets hope he is still eating and drinking.Good Luck
Old February 14th, 2007, 06:39 PM

took him into a vet tonight, 104 degree temp; he's staying overnight for observation and I should be able to pick him up tomorrow. Thanks so much for your support and suggestions, I am very grateful
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:05 PM
-

Glad you got him into the vet. Hope it is nothing serious....please keep us updated.
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Aw, he'll be missing you, but better to be safe than sorry. Maybe the shaking was from fever? Hope he makes a speedy recovery!
Old February 16th, 2007, 02:04 PM

home :)

Reagan is home and as rowdy as every. I'm giving him meds twice a day for the next few days but he's in the clear. Thanks again for your warm thoughts
Old February 17th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Senior Contributor

That's great Hopefully he'll be fine from now on