Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old May 11th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Senior Contributor

What a change!

Everyone on here knows what it's like to adopt an animal and over time you learn thier character. Most times an animal is just a certain way and you learn to accept it.

Well a year and a half ago I adopted Kinsey and Teiya from the Humane Society. They were 4 months old and are littermates. Throughout this time they have been very skittish and not trusting of humans.

Lo and behold last month Teiya suddenly jumped up on the couch one night and layed right beside me, touching me! Although she loved to be brushed, you couldn't hold her and if you sat down by where she was laying she would get up.

Over this last month she has started to lay beside me often and even on my top of my legs when I was under a blanket. I've woken up and she was with me! Tonight she just jumped up and plopped down on my lap like a "normal" cat. She's all cuddled up and sleeping. A couple minutes ago she stretched and put her paw on my arm.

I am shocked and pleased to how she suddenly changed and has started to bond with me. I had just accepted she would always be standoffish.

Her sister, Kinsey, is still a nervous wreck but will occasionally crawl under the blanket and lay for a few minutes. She is finally allowing me to pick her up without clawing the crap out of me. Though, I can only hold her for a few minutes before she panics.

Obviously these 2 didn't have a great start to their lives and I am glad they are with me and have the time to begin to trust.

Just goes to show you that you just never know what changes will happen in an animal.

Took me a year to be able to hold my Ginkgo after I adopted her and now she is a snuggle bunny.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DONíT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:04 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Don't you just love it? Good job!!!!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:59 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracko View Post

Just goes to show you that you just never know what changes will happen in an animal.
I'm so happy for you and funny enough , something happened at my home last night too ... Coco the tortie , came on the bed and slept right beside me , Jack and Sienna ! First time in one year 1/2 !
Old May 11th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Congratulations to you Dracko and Frenchy. I'm so glad to hear your girls are getting more comfortable in their home and with you. Czari is the only one who actually cuddles in my arms at bedtime, but the others like to sleep right against me, touching me. I love that, because I see it as their way to make sure I'm there, loving and protecting them.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Thats wonderful. Enjoy your snuggles.

Mama to Izzy, rescued March 2009.