Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 28th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Marty has Lyme Disease maybe weak anaplasma

Marty was acting very odd today , he would sit or stand in one spot for awhile and not move at all . He sat looking over his shoulder and not moving, it look like he could not move his head .He was also following me from room to room looking very sad. So I figure I bet bring him to vet , and sure enough he has Lyme disease . Poor puppy , he been having trouble lifting his hind legs to pee and I thought it was from his knees. He has to been on
doxycycline for 28 days . I hope he'll not get the runs while on this.

Last edited by Barkingdog; March 29th, 2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old March 28th, 2014, 08:26 PM

Poor Marty! Was he vaccinated for Lyme's? And are you treating for ticks going forward?
Old March 28th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
Poor Marty! Was he vaccinated for Lyme's? And are you treating for ticks going forward?
I will be treating him for ticks , I can't recall if I had vaccinated for Lyme's, I had my last dog vaccinated for Lyme's and he got it. The ticks are so bad in
Massachusetts the drops do not really work . If I am able to sell my condo I hope to move to where there are so many wild rabbits around. They have gotten use to living near people and get very close to our building . Poor puppy is just sitting under a table right now and not moving.
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:12 PM

We got back from Hilton Head, SC today after being there for 2 weeks. We took Loki with us and he managed to get 6-7 ticks on him during a walk in a nature preserve! We haven't treated him for ticks recently (I hate the chemical nature of it). We have had good success with Cedarcide though : http://www.cedarcide.com/product/bes...anic-bug-spray
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
We got back from Hilton Head, SC today after being there for 2 weeks. We took Loki with us and he managed to get 6-7 ticks on him during a walk in a nature preserve! We haven't treated him for ticks recently (I hate the chemical nature of it). We have had good success with Cedarcide though : http://www.cedarcide.com/product/bes...anic-bug-spray
Thank you , I added it to my favorites. I do have an organic-bug-spray for Marty but I am not sure how well it work . Marty get a lot of ticks around his head as he is always poking his face into bushes and holes in the ground.
The hate ticks . We use to have wild turkeys come in to our yard and thy would eat a lot of ticks in the back yard. I doubt that turkeys will coming around now that the field behind my condo is gone. This has driven the rabbits right into our yard and one rabbit was living in front of my building .
Old March 29th, 2014, 10:58 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hope Marty is feeling better soon, Barkingdog. We've had a lot of Lyme's and anaplasmosis, too, since moving to this part of the state. We should buy stock in doxycycline, eh?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 29th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Hope Marty is feeling better soon, Barkingdog. We've had a lot of Lyme's and anaplasmosis, too, since moving to this part of the state. We should buy stock in doxycycline, eh?
Thank you ! How did your dogs do on doxycycline ? I read if your dog has
Lyme there is a good chance one person in the house does too. That is not good for me as there is only Marty and me . Marty is wag his tail a little today , but I sure will glad when he back to being Marty again.

Last edited by Barkingdog; March 29th, 2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old March 29th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Good wishes for a fast and complete recovery Marty. We don't vaccinate for Lymes, I understand it is fairly easily treated if caught early. But there are more cases of it showing up north.
Old March 29th, 2014, 05:19 PM

I hope Marty feels better soon
I'm not familiar with Lyme disease so sorry I have no advice. Looks like you've had some good advice here though. It's always so hard when our fur babies are ill. Hopefully he's on the mend soon.
Old March 29th, 2014, 05:35 PM

Not sure if this would deter ticks but I use Avon Skin So Soft oil on my wiem when we are camping and the Mosquitos leave him alone. Upside.......he smells great in the tent at night
Old March 29th, 2014, 06:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Thank you ! How did your dogs do on doxycycline ?
They do well. As long as we give it with food, they tolerate it well. Capsules go down easier than pills, and have the added benefit of not irritating the lining of the esophagus as much if they get temporarily stuck on the way down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I read if your dog has Lyme there is a good chance one person in the house does too.
Only because it implies that the people have also been in areas with ticks. Nightly body checks are a must if you live in tick country--you can really cut down on the number of cases of tick-borne disease by spotting them early. It's not 100%, though--some ticks are too small to spot, for instance. Others are too well-hidden.

We've never had a human case of Lyme's in the house, although we've had some canine cases. Anaplasmosis, on the other hand, seems to be on the rise here and much more common than Lyme's--generally, if we find one case, we'll find more...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 29th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne&Co. View Post
Not sure if this would deter ticks but I use Avon Skin So Soft oil on my wiem when we are camping and the Mosquitos leave him alone. Upside.......he smells great in the tent at night
That would bother me , I have allergies and can't be around any kind of perfumes . I have to keep telling the groomer not to put anything smelly on my dog. Deer ticks are hard to see , I asked the groomer if see any on Marty when she washing him and always say "No" .

hazelrunpack, Marty is not eating his food , I tried giving him some chicken soup and he refuse is, Marty loves it too . So he is really feeling horrible. Poor little guy. I been putting his med in some hotdog
I hope he will still eat that .
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Marty is starting to feel better and eating again . He is getting more playful and acting like his old self . He is still sleeping a lot but it's good to see him being able to jump into the car on his own again and wagging his tail .
Now I will have to find a way to keep those nasty ticks off him.