Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old July 7th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

He's a good citizen!

wooo hooo! Tucker passed his Canine Good Citizen test last night! I thought he was a "good citizen" regardless, but now it's official. He'll get his fancy certificate to hang on the wall. awwww...

anyways, just thought I'd share my good news. as you can imagine, I'm incredibly proud... it's a good feeling.
Old July 7th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

COngrats Tucker!!! Good boy!!!!

How was the test? Can you watch? What does it entail?
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypit
How was the test? Can you watch? What does it entail?
the test is designed to test the dog's manners. The dog (with you as the handler) must pass all 10 items to get the certification. so I had to participate too. Here's what it entails:

Test 1: Accepting a friendly stranger
This test demonstrates that the dog will allow a friendly stranger to approach it and speak to the handler in a natural, everyday situation. The evaluator walks up to the dog and handler and greets the handler in a friendly manner, ignoring the dog. The evaluator and handler shake hands and exchange pleasantries. The dog must show no sign of resentment or shyness, and must not break position or try to go to the evaluator.

Test 2: Sitting politely for petting
This test demonstrates that the dog will allow a friendly stranger to touch it while it is out with its handler. With the dog sitting at the handler's side, to begin the exercise, the evaluator pets the dog on the head and body. The handler may talk to his or her dog throughout the exercise. The dog may stand in place as it is petted. The dog must not show shyness or resentment.

Test 3: Appearance and grooming
This practical test demonstrates that the dog will welcome being groomed and examined and will permit someone, such as a veterinarian, groomer or friend of the owner, to do so. It also demonstrates the owner's care, concern and sense of responsibility. The evaluator inspects the dog to determine if it is clean and groomed. The dog must appear to be in healthy condition (i.e., proper weight, clean, healthy and alert). The handler should supply the comb or brush commonly used on the dog. The evaluator then softly combs or brushes the dog, and in a natural manner, lightly examines the ears and gently picks up each front foot. It is not necessary for the dog to hold a specific position during the examination, and the handler may talk to the dog, praise it and give encouragement throughout.

Test 4: Out for a walk (walking on a loose lead)
This test demonstrates that the handler is in control of the dog. The dog may be on either side of the handler. The dog's position should leave no doubt that the dog is attentive to the handler and is responding to the handler's movements and changes of direction. The dog need not be perfectly aligned with the handler and need not sit when the handler stops. The evaluator may use a pre-plotted course or may direct the handler/dog team by issuing instructions or commands. In either case, there should be a right turn, left turn, and an about turn with at least one stop in between and another at the end. The handler may talk to the dog along the way, praise the dog, or give commands in a normal tone of voice. The handler may sit the dog at the halts if desired.

Test 5: Walking through a crowd
This test demonstrates that the dog can move about politely in pedestrian traffic and is under control in public places. The dog and handler walk around and pass close to several people (at least three). The dog may show some interest in the strangers but should continue to walk with the handler, without evidence of over-exuberance, shyness or resentment. The handler may talk to the dog and encourage or praise the dog throughout the test. The dog should not jump on people in the crowd or strain on the leash.

Test 6: Sit and down on command and Staying in place
This test demonstrates that the dog has training, will respond to the handler's commands to sit and down and will remain in the place commanded by the handler (sit or down position, whichever the handler prefers). The dog must do sit AND down on command, then the owner chooses the position for leaving the dog in the stay. Prior to this test, the dog's leash is replaced with a line 20 feet long. The handler may take a reasonable amount of time and use more than one command to get the dog to sit and then down. The evaluator must determine if the dog has responded to the handler's commands. The handler may not force the dog into position but may touch the dog to offer gentle guidance. When instructed by the evaluator, the handler tells the dog to stay and walks forward the length of the line, turns and returns to the dog at a natural pace. The dog must remain in the place in which it was left (it may change position) until the evaluator instructs the handler to release the dog. The dog may be released from the front or the side.

Test 7: Coming when called
This test demonstrates that the dog will come when called by the handler. The handler will walk 10 feet from the dog, turn to face the dog, and call the dog. The handler may use encouragement to get the dog to come. Handlers may choose to tell dogs to "stay" or "wait" or they may simply walk away, giving no instructions to the dog.

Test 8: Reaction to another dog
This test demonstrates that the dog can behave politely around other dogs. Two handlers and their dogs approach each other from a distance of about 20 feet, stop, shake hands and exchange pleasantries, and continue on for about 10 feet. The dogs should show no more than casual interest in each other. Neither dog should go to the other dog or its handler.

Test 9: Reaction to distraction
This test demonstrates that the dog is confident at all times when faced with common distracting situations. The evaluator will select and present two distractions. Examples of distractions include dropping a chair, rolling a crate dolly past the dog, having a jogger run in front of the dog, or dropping a crutch or cane. The dog may express natural interest and curiosity and/or may appear slightly startled but should not panic, try to run away, show aggressiveness, or bark. The handler may talk to the dog and encourage or praise it throughout the exercise.

Test 10: Supervised separation
This test demonstrates that a dog can be left with a trusted person, if necessary, and will maintain training and good manners. Evaluators are encouraged to say something like, "Would you like me to watch your dog?" and then take hold of the dog's leash. The owner will go out of sight for three minutes. The dog does not have to stay in position but should not continually bark, whine, or pace unnecessarily, or show anything stronger than mild agitation or nervousness. Evaluators may talk to the dog but should not engage in excessive talking, petting, or management attempts (e.g, "there, there, it's alright").

I'm still a bit in shock that he actually passed. it's a little program by the AKC to promote responsible dog ownership and dog training. we took a prep-course a while ago, but at the end, when it was time to test, Tucker was sick. so we had to wait until the next class finished to get in on this test.
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Congrats! That's great!
Old July 7th, 2006, 07:08 PM
-

Well done!!!
Old July 7th, 2006, 07:31 PM
owned by Tucker

Great job Tucker!!!! Way to go.
Old July 7th, 2006, 07:47 PM
-

wooohoooo Tucker
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor

It sounds like you BOTH passed!!! Congrats! A job well done by BOTH of you!
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Congrats on passing!!! My dog Petey and I recently passed as well! Isn't that such a good feeling! I was wondering if you have any problems with Tucker when he's off-leash? Petey is a perfect gentleman for me on a leash, but as soon as we get home or to the off-leash dog park, it's like some of that training goes out the window! Sometimes I wonder if he shouldn't have passed quite yet, lol! My two struggles with Petey are that he still jumps on people when they initially walk through the front door (he'll then sit/stay where I tell them, but only after he's jumped up for a greet) and he does not have a reliable come when he's off leash at the dog park or if he escapes out the front door at home. It's like the enticement to run and explore is greater, and he totally ignores me! I just have to wonder if I'm the only one with a "Good citizen" dog out there with such struggles! Thanks!
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Honest Contributor

congratulations, both of you! what an accomplishment, woohooo!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old July 17th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

CONGRATULATIONS TUCKER !!!!

Great job Jessi!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Senior Contributor

thanks for the congrats everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley14
Congrats on passing!!! My dog Petey and I recently passed as well!
CONGRATS to you and Petey also!!!!! YAYYY!

Quote:
My two struggles with Petey are that he still jumps on people when they initially walk through the front door (he'll then sit/stay where I tell them, but only after he's jumped up for a greet) and he does not have a reliable come when he's off leash at the dog park or if he escapes out the front door at home. It's like the enticement to run and explore is greater, and he totally ignores me! I just have to wonder if I'm the only one with a "Good citizen" dog out there with such struggles! Thanks!
of course I have struggles too!!! you're not alone. although Tucker has learned no jumping and his recall, it's a daily event to reinforce those commands. I simply make sure they get reinforced, constantly.

my trainer made a comment at the testing... "be sure to get a CGC tag for your dog's collar.. that way when your dog is running amuck through your neighborhood, everyone will know he's a good citizen."

we all laughed, because although we passed, we knew training wasn't over.
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Congrats Tucker and Petey. More good ambassadors for our doggies. You must be so proud of your kids. I guess they got special treats
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76

of course I have struggles too!!! you're not alone. although Tucker has learned no jumping and his recall, it's a daily event to reinforce those commands. I simply make sure they get reinforced, constantly.

my trainer made a comment at the testing... "be sure to get a CGC tag for your dog's collar.. that way when your dog is running amuck through your neighborhood, everyone will know he's a good citizen."

we all laughed, because although we passed, we knew training wasn't over.
Thanks for the encouragement! I laughed aloud when I read your trainer's comment! So very true! Thanks!
Congrats again!!! Do you have a pic of Tucker?
Old July 19th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Do you have a pic of Tucker?
of course I do.... he's a basenji-boxer(?) mix. we're only positive on the basenji half. (1yr 4mths old)

You'll need to post Petey's pic too - so we have pics of both good citizens!
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

I love those ears they are great and what a cute face but the ears they rock
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76
of course I do.... he's a basenji-boxer(?) mix. we're only positive on the basenji half. (1yr 4mths old)

You'll need to post Petey's pic too - so we have pics of both good citizens!

Oh, Tucker is beautiful!! Those ears are just cute!! I've posted so many pics of Petey the last few days, I hope people aren't getting tired of seeing him! But here's one more. He's a GSP and looks like a little here, lol.
Thanks for the pic of Tucker!!
Attached Images

Old July 20th, 2006, 01:20 AM

Never enough of Petey!!! He's adorable!

Tucker pics are scarce too... Hmm... I think you both need to post more.
Old July 20th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Congrats on your accomplishments! Well done

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
More good ambassadors for our doggies.
Here, here :king: