Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 5th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Fleas.......

Good day folks!! I want to get another kittenand I have her picked out already the only thibg is that I've just been informed that the place where she is coming from has a very high chance of having fleas. The kitten is only 4 days old yet and I honestly don't want to bring her home with fleas. I already have a 4 month old kitten and i don't want the fleas to spread to her. Can anyone please help me out here? I already have the Control One Spot treatment bought for Maxie even though she won't be going outside. I know that fleas can come inside on shoes etc so i wanted to be safe. Please someone give me some advice here. Thanks.
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:53 AM
banned user

Are you sure the kitten is only 4 days old??? Is that a type-O?

Oh man no advice because it is that young. I'm sure someone will offer something?
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:57 AM

Yes she is only 4 days old....she was born last Thursday. I honestly don't know what to do!!! By the time she is 6 weeks old and ready to come home with me she may have a very serious case of fleas. I have to admit that I have had an experience with fleas before when a friend of mine had cats that had them and they were in their house and it really freaked me out!!! I'm not a good person around bugs of any kind!!!!
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Senior Contributor

She shouldn't be coming home to you at all right now, until she is at least 8 weeks old. That is much too young to be taken away from her mother! She will have all sorts of issues on top of the fleas!! Wait until she is 6-8 weeks old, then bring her home!! Good luck!!

Edited to say: We must have posted at the same time......sorry!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:00 AM

That was what I just wrote in my last post.....I don't have her home with me now...I'm just concerned that she'll be infested by the time she's ready to come home.
Old April 5th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Heavy infestations of fleas can make tiny kitten anemic, or even kill them!!

Tell these people to start using a flea comb on cat and kittens and start washing their bedding regularly. There are also "flea traps" that can be set out.

Advantage or other flea treatments cannot be used on nursing cats or tiny kittens.

When you go to get your kitten, make an appointment with the vet and take the kitten straight there for a flea bath.

What is wrong with these people????
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

There are some flea foams (purchased through a Vet) that I have used on infested nursing kittens. They work great but if fleas are present in the living area they will only be re-infested. Sometimes you have to weigh the situation, risk the treatment or leave them untreated. I have used Advantage on infested nursing kittens and their mom with no ill effects. (While working at the clinic)
I myself prefer Frontline. I only use Advantage in an emergency.
Here in Florida fleas are the state evilness.
If you can get Capstar (from the vet) try it..it will kill fleas within 30 minutes but works for only 4 days and it is safe for even young ones..
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:49 PM
owned by Tucker

I don't know if it is true or not or if there were other problems but a girl I work with took her kitten to the vets to be dipped for fleas and the kitten ended up dying.So be careful no matter what you use.
Old April 5th, 2004, 09:34 PM

Ages ago dips were the only option. I loved Dermaton II, but it was leathal to cats. Paramite is very good too , I always have some on hand , (for me, the only rx for scabies should I encounter the buggers again!) Scabies or sarcoptic mange is wide spread if a pet is allowed in the woods here. I will always get it too if a infected pet has it, I am the test ! I am also allergic to flea bites after all these years so I do all I can to make sure we have a flea free enviorment.
Advantage has been out for a long time. There is some flea immunity showing up to this product. Bayer is working on that.
Frontline, (Top Spot) , will guarrentee a 15 year barrier on immunity. (I will use both)
For cost's sake, Vet's may flame me here for this , and Merial & Bayer, you can break down one tube of the large size of any of these products and distribrute among smaller sizes. Cat's included. Contents are the same. Look at the ml doses per size. One tube of 132 # Frontline will dose 3 to 5 small dogs or cats.
For dogs I see a good two months of protection but only one month for a cat. Do not try this with Revolution. I hate this topical anyway and it should be taken off the market! I am seeing many heartworm + dogs with this and ProHart.

*geez I do get worked up!
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank God I live in Alberta where there are no fleas!!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:25 AM
banned user

Catt:
Isn't Ralph Klien a flea???? lol
Old April 6th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG amaruq.......PMP laughing!!! I totally 100% agree.......mind you, calling him a flea is being NICE!!! HE is lower than flea poop!!! LMAO

GRRRRRRRRRRR, don't get me started on him!!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old April 6th, 2004, 06:56 PM

We live in Texas, a very flea populous area, so I feel your pain here. Shaklee has a product called Basic H, which is a general household cleaner but is an excellent flea dip. As with all flea dips, it will only kill the live fleas, not the eggs, so you will have to use it a second or third time before your troubles are over. It is completely safe for kittens and puppies and doesn't leave a residue for them to lick. You have plenty of time to order it over the Internet (www.shaklee.com) or from someone you know who sells Shaklee products. Mix one capful of Basic H with one gallon of water. Grab the kitten's paws in one hand and dunk him quickly into the water. Keep his little head out of the water. With your other hand wash the water mixture through all his fur. Use some cotton balls to clean his face with the water without getting it in his eyes (it's not harmful but could be painful. Ever had soap in your eyes?). Take him out of the water and rinse him off. Dry him and blow dry. Cats are very sensitive to cold. Do this two or three times a week until you are sure that all eggs have hatched and been killed. A flea comb will help you remove all those dead flea bodies.
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:01 PM

Maxie'sMom, sorry but I just got to ask where are you getting this cat from? And why is there such a terrible flea infestation there?
Old April 7th, 2004, 06:51 AM

The kitten is coming from a friend of mine but I have since been informed that it may have been a false alarm{fingers crossed!!!}. I have asked another friend that lives close to where the kittens are has been checking the cats while visiting and has reported to me that there aren't any fleas to be seen. Maybe it was someone just hoping that I'd change my mind about getting the kitten so they could get her. i honestly don't know. I do know that the people who own the cats/kittens have had fleas in the past {about 5 years ago} but know that they got it under control and were flea free. i have another question though; how old are kittens supposed to be when their eyes open? My little one had her eyes open on Sunday and she wasn't born until Thursday. She was only 3 days old. Thanks by the way for all the help regarding the "fleas" all suggestions were greatly appreciated!!
Old April 7th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Catt31 and Amaruq,my son lives in Vermilion Alberta so I've become interested in Albertan politics and one thing I am 100% sure of Klein is a low-life jerk!!!! Offspring of our dreaded callous Harris
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Kittens generally open their eyes at around 10 days, but it could take weeks until they are completely open for good, depending on the condition they are in.
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:17 PM

So have you heard of their eyes opening as young as 3 days old?
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:05 PM

I have never heard of a kittens eyes opening at 3 day's. The owners may have their days wrong.
Old April 8th, 2004, 07:59 AM

No I am positive that this is the correct age of the kitten; she was born on Thursday {April 1st} and I picked her out on Friday and on Sunday {April 4th} I was in the area so I dropped in to check on her and her eyes were open. There were three born and two of them had their eyes open and the third one had his partially open. Now all three have their eyes completely open.
Old April 8th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Years ago,pre-Advantage and other flea-control meds,I got a little kitten from HS full of fleas and ear-mites.Before I took him home,I took him to the vet and she took care of the problems and I had a beautiful clean healthy kitten.
I also at one time used to have dogs,a cockerspaniel(Yum-Yum)and a dog like Sadie Collie/Shepard(Mishka) mix and a terrible fleaproblem,the only remedy available was shampoos and sprays.
Getting rid of fleas on a Collie-mix is next to impossible and my house was soon infested by fleas,which we more or less had to learn to live with other than fumigating the house.
Mishka at 8yrs got a severe reaction to flea-bites and eventually had to be put down,but that's a long time ago...Today there are many good meds against fleas,I use Advantage every year between May-October on my cats and it has worked wonderfully and luckily is easy to apply.Unlike years ago when you risked your life trying to spray a cat
Maxie's Mom,Iwould definetly not take home a kitten with fleas,a visit to the vet before is your best bet..
Old April 9th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Angry more about fleas!

This cat is quite premie baby ..I will trust a vet about using any flea products,remenber that cats lick to be clean and this products are poisons and stay on their fur,I did had once this experience with an older cat which brought me love when I adopt her and fleas as a bonus LOL.
As for home products what I learn about my fight against fleas experience is that raid is a very good product because kills the eggs (which is very important),actually they have a product for lawn use too which wont affect the pets .......Of course I always use my caution using any products with my pets and had many fleas by the time.....Also remenber to clean the vacuum bag once a month because fleas can breed there.......

Claudia
Old April 9th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow,Lima Peru,that is a place I always wanted to visit,the Andes and your wonderful Indian culture...love the haunting sound of the flute they play(don't know what it is called)
I think we are on the winning side against fleas,there are soo many non-toxic products now to use.Raid is not something I would use,it's highly toxic...
We actually had to clear room by room,spray every nook and cranny,leave the door closed and then vaccum.
Anyway,I have not had any flee-problems for at least ten years,Advantage seems to work and is easy to apply.
Old April 9th, 2004, 06:42 PM

This may sound weird, but I have rescued quite a few itty bitty baby kitties & even on the very young ones, I have used Dawn Dish Detergent. I get the kitten wet, and only use a little tiny bit, because it lathers quite a bit. It somehow suffocates the fleas, but doesn't have a bunch of harsh or toxic chemicals in it. I lather the kitten up & let the suds sit for about 30 seconds & then rinse thoroughly. Then I use a flea comb (after they are dry) to get the bodies off. I have never had a problem with it. I'm not a vet, but I have heard from one that this is safe. Maybe it's a Florida thing, but we have quite a few strange remedies for fleas.
Old April 9th, 2004, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hollybug26
This may sound weird, but I have rescued quite a few itty bitty baby kitties & even on the very young ones, I have used Dawn Dish Detergent. I get the kitten wet, and only use a little tiny bit, because it lathers quite a bit. It somehow suffocates the fleas, but doesn't have a bunch of harsh or toxic chemicals in it. I lather the kitten up & let the suds sit for about 30 seconds & then rinse thoroughly. Then I use a flea comb (after they are dry) to get the bodies off. I have never had a problem with it. I'm not a vet, but I have heard from one that this is safe. Maybe it's a Florida thing, but we have quite a few strange remedies for fleas.
Good to see another native on board! I have heard of using Dawn many times over the past 10 years but I still hesitate. I believe any detergent is not healthy for a pets skin, coat or digestive system, where it might end up..one fraction can cause the runs if ingested. There are so many safer remedys for flea control and I will always opt for them. Also, in my opinion, human shampoos belong on humans, (ha! to some extent..most I will not use on myself!) Body oils defer and an animals is actually very different...I prefer to use a non soap shampoo for Ciara and Frontline was applied yesterday. *Hates fleas!*
Old April 10th, 2004, 12:36 AM

Talking Hi Anita!

Hi Anita

No ,i will never used it on the pets(even as they recommend on dogs-no way LOL) but you couldnt imagine how bad was my flea problem at the time ...
i did used a new natural flea product on the cat which she lick and she felt sick in hours .I did call the poison center (the number was on the bootle) and they advised me to wash the cat ASAP with any dish detergent i have on hand...Gladly all was just a good scare :-) .... I guess i had a bad luck with this product.
Actually im to much careful with any pet kind of peeky/worry sometimes but ....better to be safe than to be sorry right ...!

Claudia
:-)
PS: the name of the flute is "quena"
Old April 11th, 2004, 07:42 PM

Just is defense of the Dawn method.. Please be assured that it was never used on a regular basis, only as an initial treatment to get rid of fleas. Also, I was always very careful to ensure that none of it ended up in the eyes or the mouth. I do believe that there are better remedies on the market, but when it comes to a vey new kitten, those are sometimes far more dangerous.. I would never suggest Dawn as a regular flea control remedy.. Only for very small babies.
Old April 11th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Claudia,I'll try to remember Quena from now on,I just love the sound
Old April 12th, 2004, 10:43 AM

Wink Anytime :-)

Glad you liked the sound ...About music in the Incas culture they recently find shells (marine seashells ) with they used to make music..the sound is amazing !

Claudia
Old April 12th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Great news!!

I went to visit my baby kitten yesterday and there aren't any fleas!! She is growing beautifully and is absolutely beautiful!!! I just hope Maxie agrees when we bring her home in 5 weeks. Maxie is going to be very jealous since she's is the queen here; very spoiled!!
Thanks for all the help.