Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 15th, 2011, 03:41 AM

Dog poisoned...NEED HELP...Accidental anti-inflammatory poisoning

Just so everyone know we have been to the vet repeatedly, but he is dying and I need help, fast!I am at my wits end. My daughters 10 month old-95 lb. dog and my 1 year old 27lb. dog somehow found a full bottle of my Voltaren 100mg. and by the time my son got home they had eaten 2/3 of the bottle. I did not return until around 9:00 pm that night and wasn't told about it until my dog started having explosive diarhea and Rosco(daughters dog) started vomiting, which was about 3:00 am. called vet at 4:00 am and was told to bring them in at 4 pm that day, 4 pm really? Anyway he gave them anti-nausea shots and antibiotics and sent them home. My dog quickly recovered but Rosco continued vomiting through the night. Next morning we take him back: lethargic, vomiting and drooling terribly! He kept him overnight, took a blood sample and gave him IV fluids. The next day we were informed he was in Acute Kidney Failure and we needed to keep him hydrated to see if he would pull through.he sent him home (due to money restraints at this point$578.00 and I am laid off) and Rosco seemed better for a minute. He was holding down food(rice&vegis) and drinking water. By the 3rd day he is out of the anti-nausea pills and begins vomiting again. We take him back and we are instructed on how to give sub-q fluids. 12 hours later he is laying next to me looking like he is going to die very soon and I am scared and horrified. He hasn't drank any water or ate in almost 24 hours, less the sub-q fluids I am giving him 500cc per day 2 days now. Please does any know what is going on here. My company moved to Mexico last year,why I am out of work)and I am already in serious $ trouble. I am trying everything I am able to give him but the vet will not do anything without $ upfront. Here is his last bloodwork-BUN-68, CREATINE 5.4, PHOSPHORUS 9.2, CHLORIDE 87, SODIUM 139, WBC 27.7, MCHC 38.9, NEUTROPHIL SEG 79, EOSINOPHIL 1, ABSOLUTE NEUTROPHIL SEG 21883, ABSOLUTE MONOCYTE 1939. Microscopic view reads: Neutophils appear slightly toxic. I don't know what else to do, please help me, help Rosco

Last edited by classtt; August 15th, 2011 at 04:12 AM.
Old August 15th, 2011, 04:09 AM

Dog Poisoned...drank some water...YEAAA

Ok since I posted that Rosco did drink about 8 oz. of water and has finally laid down. He had been pacing, then laying down, then pacing. He started smacking his lips....OMG what do I do? He is still drooling so very badly. I'll call the vet again but I seem to not be able to get any help or relief for the poor baby/. And miniumal funds left...uuuugggg
Old August 15th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Senior Contributor

smacking lips is usually a sign of pain/discomfort, will he eat pumpkin? not the pie kind, but pure pumpkin in a can? it may help with the upset stomach , if you can get him to drink some pedialyte to keep him hydrated, but none of us are vets here, will a vet not take payments? have you called all of them in that area? call the animal control to see if there are any low cost clinics around. good luck.
Old August 15th, 2011, 08:06 AM

Tried it...uuuggg

Hi Melinda and Thank You for replying so quickly. I understand that your staff are not vets. I was hoping a fellow member would see this and maybe had been through something similiar? I don't know. Kinda hoping someone knew about the bloodwork results, something. But I have tried pumpkin, and I have been mixing 50-50 pedia-lite/water. No they will not take payments. I have been going to this vet for 10 years and have always paid them. IDK- Thanks
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

I'm so sorry you're going through this, how awful
Call your vet and ask him to give you some sulcrate. It isn't overly expensive, but at least it will help with the poor babys tummy upset. I think I would be finding myself another vet once this is over. Good luck and please let us know how he is doing.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:16 AM

Hi Rgeurts, thank you very much and I'll be honest I am very close to just start firebombing I am so mad!!! OK that was completely not a serious statement I am just SO FRUSTRATED!!!! Here is a list of medicine the vet has already given us and Rosco is currently taking(on an empty stomach...OMG) Amoxicillin 500mg 1x12hrs for infection,
Ondansetron Hydrochlor9 1x8hrs anti-nausea
Metronidazole 500mg 1x12hrs anti-nausea
Cerenia (PRICEY) 60mg 2x24hrs anti-nausea
And he still drooling like a water fountain and just started smaking his lips again. I have given this vet just under 600 dollars in 5 days and now I have been calling since 7 am and I cant get her to return my calls. He is suffering and there isn't a thing I can do about. I have called other places and they all want money up front. I have used ALL MY SAVINGS ON THIS!!! My job went to Mexico last year, so here I am. I'm going to call Agels for animals but they do not open till 1:00 pm Thanks for your concern and please if anyone can at least explain what is happening with him????
Old August 15th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by classtt View Post
. Here is his last bloodwork-BUN-68, CREATINE 5.4, PHOSPHORUS 9.2, CHLORIDE 87, SODIUM 139, WBC 27.7, MCHC 38.9, NEUTROPHIL SEG 79, EOSINOPHIL 1, ABSOLUTE NEUTROPHIL SEG 21883, ABSOLUTE MONOCYTE 1939. Microscopic view reads: Neutophils appear slightly toxic. I don't know what else to do, please help me, help Rosco
What I don't understand (and there is A LOT that I don't understand) is the connection between the overdose and the increase in the white blood cells.

I don't know the normal ranges (do you have them?), but I think those are high...and the toxic neutrophils, I don't think, are a reflection of toxicity as in poisoning, but in the way that the neutrophils are being produced. I don't know the details though. I think that's a high WBC overall...

If I didn't know there was an overdose, I would think that there was a really nasty infection. The bun and creatinine are high, and those are kidney values.

Infection, with kidney involvement...any chance he has ever been exposed to lyme? And with the added overdose, just can't rebound?

I have no idea if the drug can cause this sort of abnormality in bloodwork, I've never seen it on the forums before, but there's a lot of weird stuff out there.

Both the amoxicillin and metronidazole are antibiotics. The metro works on the gut. It can have neurological side affects in susceptible dogs. The Zofran and the Cerenia, yes, for nausea.

Can you get some chicken noodle soup in him? Since he's not doing well with solid food, the soup might be good.

I don't know much at all about kidneys, but here is the Yahoo Kidney list, I don't know if they can help in time:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9KIDNEYS/

I am so so sorry
Old August 15th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Between meals, some activated charcoal (health food store or grocery store) might help with the nausea. Slippery Elm is often used for this, and can supply some nutrients - make a gruel with it, and get it in him somehow.

The homeopathic remedy Nux Vomica might help with the nausea.
Old August 15th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Hi Rgeurts, thank you very much and I'll be honest I am very close to just start firebombing I am so mad!!! OK that was completely not a serious statement I am just SO FRUSTRATED!!!! Here is a list of medicine the vet has already given us and Rosco is currently taking(on an empty stomach...OMG) Amoxicillin 500mg 1x12hrs for infection,
Ondansetron Hydrochlor9 1x8hrs anti-nausea
Metronidazole 500mg 1x12hrs anti-nausea
Cerenia (PRICEY) 60mg 2x24hrs anti-nausea
And he still drooling like a water fountain and just started smaking his lips again. I have given this vet just under 600 dollars in 5 days and now I have been calling since 7 am and I cant get her to return my calls. He is suffering and there isn't a thing I can do about. I have called other places and they all want money up front. I have used ALL MY SAVINGS ON THIS!!! My job went to Mexico last year, so here I am. I'm going to call Agels for animals but they do not open till 1:00 pm Thanks for your concern and please if anyone can at least explain what is happening with him????
I don't blame you for being upset. We have went through similar issues with vets in the last year. Thankfully, we now have 2 wonderful vets who care for our boys. To be honest, it's costs us an arm and a leg, but again, thankful... we both have decent jobs and no human kids (only the furkids ). I actually have one right now that is taking Cerenia and Sulcrate for nausea and vomiting, and another on Cerenia for chemotherapy. It's a great drug, but sometimes you just need a little more. As MaxaLisa said, the metronidazole is for the gut. Both of mine have been on it in the past. I don't know if Sulcrate would have any interactions with the other medications he is on, but ask your vet. It's been a wonder drug for our baby (1.5 yr old Alaskan Malamute) who has numerous issues, and also for our old boy (12 yr old Alaskan Malamute/GSDx) who has cancer and is prone to colitis and pancreatitis. I hope your boy is feeling a little better now. Poor baby
Big hugs to you both

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 15th, 2011, 08:21 PM
You can call me DOG!

While I cannot contribute to the types of meds or bloodwork done on Rosco, I agree with MaxaLisa and substitute water with a chicken bouillon liquid.

Mix 2 chicken bouillon with 3/4 cups of hot water, stir. Then add another 3/4 cup of cold water then throw in a few ice cubes for more cooling. Dogs like to nose dive for the ice cubes.

The bouillon is a substitute for pedialyte and personally have found it to be more effective.

Have you also tried a hamburger/rice feeding instead of his regular food? That also eases up tummy strains.

Hope whatever is causing Rosco's discomfort comes to an ease very soon.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old August 16th, 2011, 12:37 AM

Dog poisoned...Rosco looking better...still worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
What I don't understand (and there is A LOT that I don't understand) is the connection between the overdose and the increase in the white blood cells.

I don't know the normal ranges (do you have them?), but I think those are high...and the toxic neutrophils, I don't think, are a reflection of toxicity as in poisoning, but in the way that the neutrophils are being produced. I don't know the details though. I think that's a high WBC overall...

If I didn't know there was an overdose, I would think that there was a really nasty infection. The bun and creatinine are high, and those are kidney values.

Infection, with kidney involvement...any chance he has ever been exposed to lyme? And with the added overdose, just can't rebound?

I have no idea if the drug can cause this sort of abnormality in bloodwork, I've never seen it on the forums before, but there's a lot of weird stuff out there.

Both the amoxicillin and metronidazole are antibiotics. The metro works on the gut. It can have neurological side affects in susceptible dogs. The Zofran and the Cerenia, yes, for nausea.

Can you get some chicken noodle soup in him? Since he's not doing well with solid food, the soup might be good.

I don't know much at all about kidneys, but here is the Yahoo Kidney list, I don't know if they can help in time:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9KIDNEYS/

I am so so sorry
THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE...AND THANK YOU MAXALISA BECAUSE I DON'T THINK IT'S ANTI-INFLAMMATORY EITHER, not entirely anyway. !!! I hope I am putting this post in the right place for everyone to recieve it. Rosco is actually doing much better, not out of the woods but I think he will make it through the night. The vet finally returned my calls and told me to force feed him babyfood-fruit in a syringe. So I bought a 1cc syringe some banana & sweet potato baby food. Against my better judgement I started with the banana and squeezed it on his tongue and he reluctantly lapped it up. I waited 30 minutes to make sure he didn't go into VIOLENT CONVULSIONS AND THEN HIS HEAD WOULD EXPLODE, at this point I am preparing for anything! OK next 1cc(= 2 teaspoons...) sweetpotato wait 30 then 1cc of water. I just squirted this on his tongue, I didn't force it down his throat. Ok so no VIOLENT CONVULSIONS AND HIS HEAD IS STILL IN ONE PEICE!!! I repeated this for 3-4 hours and 4 babyfood jars later and about 6 oz water he held down and is looking a little better. No drooling, smacking lips and a little color is returning to his gums. I also gave him a total of 500 cc saline solution through-out the day today. He still wont eat on his own nor drink and still lethargic but definitely looking better. So I start researching Renal Failure dog recipes and the first thing I see is that babyfood is can be extremely toxic to dogs because it may contain onion powder,,,wow I'm going to kill something/someone...lol OK now to figure out what is wrong with him and what caused this so it doesn't happen again, because I don't think he or his kidneys would survive another round of this. I researched for about 28 hours online about Acute Kidney Failure and came to the conclusion if it were Voltaren poisoning he would be in Acute Liver Failure, not AKF. So I am at a loss and at this point just trying to support his kidneys. No Lime disease in his past. Here are the lab results again but I added the reference values: I sure hope someone can figure this out!
BUN-68(7-27), CREATINE 5.4(0.4-1.8), PHOSPHORUS 9.2(2.1-6.3),
CHLORIDE 87(105-115), POTASSIUM 3.7(4.0-5.6), SODIUM 139(141-155),
WBC 27.7(5.7-16.3), MCHC 38.9(32-35), NEUTROPHIL SEG 79(60-77), EOSINOPHIL 1(2-10), ABSOLUTE NEUTROPHIL SEG 21883(3000-11500), ABSOLUTE MONOCYTE 1939(150-1350). Microscopic view reads: Neutophils appear slightly toxic. Thanks to everyone for the recipes for I am having a hard time finding ones. I really liked the bullion cube one, easy and I have that in my pantry. All will be put to good use. I'm praying someone can figure this out, he will NEVER MAKE ANOTHER EPISODE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee-O-Gee View Post
While I cannot contribute to the types of meds or bloodwork done on Rosco, I agree with MaxaLisa and substitute water with a chicken bouillon liquid.

Mix 2 chicken bouillon with 3/4 cups of hot water, stir. Then add another 3/4 cup of cold water then throw in a few ice cubes for more cooling. Dogs like to nose dive for the ice cubes.

The bouillon is a substitute for pedialyte and personally have found it to be more effective.

Have you also tried a hamburger/rice feeding instead of his regular food? That also eases up tummy strains.

Hope whatever is causing Rosco's discomfort comes to an ease very soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
Call your vet and ask him to give you some sulcrate. It isn't overly expensive, but at least it will help with the poor babys tummy upset. I think I would be finding myself another vet once this is over. Good luck and please let us know how he is doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
smacking lips is usually a sign of pain/discomfort, will he eat pumpkin? not the pie kind, but pure pumpkin in a can? it may help with the upset stomach , if you can get him to drink some pedialyte to keep him hydrated, but none of us are vets here, will a vet not take payments? have you called all of them in that area? call the animal control to see if there are any low cost clinics around. good luck.
Old August 16th, 2011, 01:16 AM

The contra-indications of the drug Voltaren (a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) include people with compromised kidney &/or liver function, so I would assume the drug is cleared through the kidneys. Voltaren also causes fluid retention & electrolyte imbalances.

Rosco's kidney values are high (BUN/Creatinine/phosphorus), as well as his electrolytes being low (Chloride/potassium/sodium) this will contribute to his not feeling well - generally feeling bad/achy/nauseous/not wanting to eat etc.

The high blood count values you've listed are pointing to infection, I would suspect the high kidney values are a result of acute kidney failure and possibly pyelonephritis (kidney infection).

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 16th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Senior Contributor

In my VERY NON-VET opinon, it sure looks like a lot of infection there. The important thing will be to know whether he is responding to the antibiotics or not, if they are the right ones, and most importantly, the treatment continues.....after money for fluids, your money is best spent on continued antibiotics, and a follow-up blood test, if you can swing it.

This type of infection, could be e.coli, could be tick disease - I wonder if it could be lepto (just guessing here)???? Probably could be other things I've never thought of....

Nutrition and fluids, quality protein is important. I've heard a lot of good things about green tripe in kidney disease - some of the better pet food stores may carry it in cans.

I don't know if this is helpful:
http://www.windyhollowvet.com/Docume...ailureDiet.pdf
Maybe there are some suggestions for feeding right now? If possible, homeprepared diet would be good.
Old August 16th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Senior Contributor

I had a very ill dog that wouldn't take water or food till I started making this daily

2 chicken breasts
8 cups of water
3 cups of white rice
5 tums (for the calcium and stomach soothing)
2 eggs (scrambled then poured into mixture)

boil chicken breasts in the water, then remove the bone and mince the breasts, add the rest of the ingrediants. I'd also bought dog multivitamins and added 4 to the mixture (she was an 80 pound dog).
Old August 16th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Baby food jars come in meat only as well? But yes check for onion, it has to be disclosed on the jar I hope? You could call them....I hope your dog is feeling good soon
Old August 16th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I've never had any babyfood at all with onion in them...but then its the moms that bring the food, I just read the labels
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler~GateKeeper View Post
The contra-indications of the drug Voltaren (a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) include people with compromised kidney &/or liver function, so I would assume the drug is cleared through the kidneys. Voltaren also causes fluid retention & electrolyte imbalances.

Rosco's kidney values are high (BUN/Creatinine/phosphorus), as well as his electrolytes being low (Chloride/potassium/sodium) this will contribute to his not feeling well - generally feeling bad/achy/nauseous/not wanting to eat etc.

The high blood count values you've listed are pointing to infection, I would suspect the high kidney values are a result of acute kidney failure and possibly pyelonephritis (kidney infection).
Hi growler- I agree but what kind of infection and where is it coming from is the million dollar question?
I was told to NOT give him any meat at this time. I need to figure out something more to give him besides babyfood. Everything I have read, which every other site contradicts itself and is making it confusing, says for a dog with kidney function issues should be kept on a low phosphorus/protien/salt diet. MMMMM doesn't that sound yummy, no wonder he won't eat. I am also concerned with how much of his kidneys are going to be funtionable if we ever get this infection under control and when will /should it return, if any? I know I am going to make a website with just "kidney issue" homemade dogfood recipes with a list of what to eat and what not to eat. I am finding sporatic information but it is all over the place. Well it is time for 200 cc of saline solution for poor Rosco(who I'm sure is not appreciating the huge needle in his back 5-6 times a day)who is still not eating or drinking...uuugggg Thanks again everyone. We are pulling another blood sample Thursday giving me a few days to try and get him flushed and hydrated. You just never know if he is going to take a turn for the worse at any moment.
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I've never had any babyfood at all with onion in them...but then its the moms that bring the food, I just read the labels
Ya type in babyfood for dogs. Says it's toxic, I had a heart attack when I read that. But the fruit is ok....whew
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
Baby food jars come in meat only as well? But yes check for onion, it has to be disclosed on the jar I hope? You could call them....I hope your dog is feeling good soon
Babyfood ...BAD well it depends on what site your on...lol
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I had a very ill dog that wouldn't take water or food till I started making this daily

2 chicken breasts
8 cups of water
3 cups of white rice
5 tums (for the calcium and stomach soothing)
2 eggs (scrambled then poured into mixture)

boil chicken breasts in the water, then remove the bone and mince the breasts, add the rest of the ingrediants. I'd also bought dog multivitamins and added 4 to the mixture (she was an 80 pound dog).
I'm going to ask about adding chicken, at this point I was told to give him no meat! But it sounds yummy and I bet he would eat it.
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
In my VERY NON-VET opinon, it sure looks like a lot of infection there. The important thing will be to know whether he is responding to the antibiotics or not, if they are the right ones, and most importantly, the treatment continues.....after money for fluids, your money is best spent on continued antibiotics, and a follow-up blood test, if you can swing it.

This type of infection, could be e.coli, could be tick disease - I wonder if it could be lepto (just guessing here)???? Probably could be other things I've never thought of....

Nutrition and fluids, quality protein is important. I've heard a lot of good things about green tripe in kidney disease - some of the better pet food stores may carry it in cans.

I don't know if this is helpful:
http://www.windyhollowvet.com/Docume...ailureDiet.pdf
Maybe there are some suggestions for feeding right now? If possible, homeprepared diet would be good.
I'm going to go check out this site MixaLisa. I'll let you know if any good recipes or info is found...Thanks
POOR BABY IS SOOOO SICK! But Rosco says thanks to everyone!!!
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Half Way To Crazy

if baby food is so "bad", then why not just go to the store and
buy sweet patatos, boil them and mash them yourself
same thing with the bananas just mash or puree them
same with and other fruit just mash them or puree them

no added anything, and you know what is in it..

wouldn't it be cheaper than the jar/cans of baby food??

you can also get low sodium chicken broth

if he's allowed chicken then do the same boil and puree it.
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:20 AM

Still no luck-HE WILL NOT EAT OR DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
Just tried chicken broth over rice and carrots...no luck I tried to add an attachment -pic of Rosco so you guys could see who you are all helping!!!
Attached Images

Old August 16th, 2011, 10:21 AM

Rosco August was 95lbs 7 days ago...now 82lbs
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

What a handsome boy
I sure hope he can recover from this, poor baby
Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with babyfood. Depends on the type, and yes, onions are toxic even in small does. The problem with onions is that the toxin accumulates and builds up over time. So unlike most foods that are toxic, once you get them over the main bout and it clears the system, they are usually ok. Onions, however, stay in the system. One of the biggest threats with onions is Hemolytic Anemia. But, that being said, I took our old boy, Thorin, to WSU (Washington State University) for lung surgery to remove the tumor and they told me that babyfood was the best thing to give him after surgery. It has a lot of nutrients. Just make sure there is no garlic/onion in it. You can also get a good probiotic like Forti-Flora that will help his tummy, especially while he is on antibiotics. It also works to tempt them when they don't want to it. The only thing Thorin would eat for 2 days after his surgery (this is what the surgeon and staff fed him while he was hospitalized) was baby food sprinkled with Forti-Flora. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers

Old August 16th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I'm going to ask about adding chicken, at this point I was told to give him no meat! But it sounds yummy and I bet he would eat it.
you can make it meat free.
Old August 16th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry,I have no advice to give,just wanted to say,after seeing beautiful Roscoes pic,that I hope and pray he'll get through this
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If you read that linked flyer on a diet to support kidney failure, you'll see that it does include quality protein. The body does need this to prepare. It mentions the better choices to feed. The "no meat" in kidney failure isn't really right, you want low phosphorous, but you still need the protein.

Thinking of you guys today