Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 19th, 2011, 12:39 PM

Question Boston terrier puppy developed cherry eye. Help?

On Monday, I took my three Boston terriers (8 months old each) to see a vet to have a check up and their rabies shot done. We had no main concerns except that the boy had a bit of eye irritation. It was just red. Nothing else was abnormal. I'd read online about cherry eye and assumed that could be what he had, judging by the name. I asked the vet and he laughed, and said his eyes were just red. He then showed me what cherry eye would look like on each eye if he did have it and forcefully pushed out the third eyelid in each eye. The same day, about 2 hours later, I noticed it stayed like that and it has been since. I went back immediately the next day and he said it couldn't be caused by what he'd done. Said its a genetic problem that just happened to appear coincidentially that day. He gave me drops for inflammation and said there was no way he could have caused it. The puppy had never had anything like it and it's just getting worse. I have my doubts. Please help!
Old August 19th, 2011, 01:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hmmm...I think I'd be looking for a new vet to have the problem looked at and fixed--if only because the first vet was messing with my dog's eyes by forcibly pushing at the third eyelid! I don't know if that's enough to cause cherry eye, but I sure wouldn't want to have to deal with a vet that was so cavalier about my dog's eyes in the first place. Just my

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Tags
boston terrier, cherry eye, eye, vet, vet advice