Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 27th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Zookeeper Extraordinaire

Separation Question

Hey guys;

Just wondering your opinions on something I was thinking about.

My two dogs, a purebred Chihuahua Tammy, and a Chihuahua/Corgi/JRT cross George, are inseparable--I think.

George is agressive towards other dogs...But Tammy is wonderful.

What is the possibility that I could take Tammy out with me to some places without George? Is that mean to single one out? Or, if I was to do that, should someone stay home with George while I take Tammy out? (Like, my hubby I mean?)

Any opinions/advice would be appreciated.
Old August 27th, 2004, 01:35 PM

Hi Bama I have 2 dogs too, Lucky a viszla cross 10 years and Stella a GSD 9 months. When I take them out one by one, I make my husband stay with the other. I know that Lucky gets upset when I take Stella, either to the vet, to my mom's place without her, so I make sure that someone is with her, vice versa... If there is no one to stay, either they both come with me, or they stay home in the same room. George, you say he's sort of aggressive towards other dogs, that could be the jack coming out of him. What are the age differences here? Is he aggressive when the two of them are together, or at all times... Good luck.
Old August 27th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Zookeeper Extraordinaire

Hey, thanks for the reply

Yeah, they're both the same age, apparently. He's a teeny bit aggressive towards her if she gets in his way (i.e. with food, or barking at other dogs.) He just has to turn and growl at her once and she's cowering I guess it's their pack order--she's submissive and he's her Alpha.

Does that change anything? I would love to see what Tammy is like without George around...
Old August 27th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

It depends if your dog is OK with being left like that. You should try to get George a little better with other dogs so you can take them both places. I know it is hard, I have that problem with my dog, but you should try. When an owner with a huge dog comes up (and the owners say this dog is good with other dogs and you say "but my dog isn't" and your dog is a small dog, it does look a bit weird) just tell them your dog is not good with other dogs.
Old August 27th, 2004, 08:35 PM

Bama, just my opinion, but I think you need to get George into obedience classes. He needs to learn how to behave with other dogs, or neither of you will ever be really comfortable. Trust me on that one! I'd also keep an eye on that food agression. I'd be worried about it escalating as he becomes more confident in your home.
Old August 27th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Zookeeper Extraordinaire

I agree with you totally, Writing. We've inquired into several obedience schools, and their classes all start around the beginning of September, or within the first week of September, so pretty soon.

The first few lessons will be hell He's going to be growling and barking at every dog...I don't know how we're going to do it, with him so close to other dogs

What's everyone's opinion on Petsmart's obedience training?
Old August 28th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

I've never been to a Petsmart Obedience training session, but I'm sure they're good. What collar do you have for George? You might want to get a martingale, choke collar, or even a prong collar (if he starts lunging and being out of control, and only that) for obedience school. Make sure to tell the instructor before that your dog is NOT good with other dogs and you'll need extra room. You could even opt for an outdoor training class where you could have room whenever you needed it.
Old August 28th, 2004, 01:12 PM

I would talk to the instructor before buying any of those types of collars. A lot of instructors are now prohibiting their use in class. Good luck!
Old August 28th, 2004, 01:49 PM
banned user

I would think twice about any form of choke collar, or even a prong collar. It was sad a coworker of mine told me about her son leaving his two dogs alone for ten minutes with choke collar on and when he returned one dog was dead!
The dogs were playing and the one dogs foot got in the collar somehow and choked the other dog to death, I still feel sick when I think about it

Just because something is in the pet stores it doesn't mean we have to have it for our pets, I have never used a choke collar and never will.