Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 17th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Senior Contributor

B.A.R.F diet...good or bad?

Does anyone know whether the so called BARF diet is good for dogs? It consists of feeding your dog only raw meat and bones and a little pureed veggies. Some sites say it's the best thing for your dog, and will improve ALL ailements and keep your pooch much happier, and others say it's harmfull and could kill your pet...who's right?

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 17th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Carina is the best one to answer this.

She has written a book that has won an award.....
Old February 17th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Owned by goldens

Barf

I don't think either side is right or wrong. If done correctly many people swear by this method of feeding and have seen real results in their dogs health and appearance. On the other hand many have experienced problems with it. I have heard of dogs choking on the raw bones and dying.

It is not for everyone but if you decide you are interested please do your research and make sure before you start you have all the infromation you need.
The same goes for kibble. Do your research and find the best one for your dog.
Old February 18th, 2005, 10:47 AM

We feed our border collie a pre-packaged BARF diet, and it is THE BEST thing that we could have ever done for her! Before she started on BARF, she was on kibble and there was a point when she didn't eat at all for like 3 days, and had no energy. She couldn't even lift her head! She had terrible diarrhea, and so I rushed her to the vet. They couldn't find anything wrong with her. I decided to try Mountain Dog Food, and the results were amazing! She has since been doing very well on the diet, and she hasn't been sick since. With the pre-packed food, it contains whole ground chicken with the bones in, veggies and some fruit. It's easy to serve too, except the thawing out bit. Plus, it's best to have a deep freeze and buy in bulk.

If raw isn't for you, Innova has come out with a new equally amazing dog food called Innova Evo. That's what our heelers eat. It's raw food in kibble form. There are absolutely no grains in it, and the kibble is actually held together by potatoes! It's all natural and full of protein. It's done wonders for them! Good luck finding out what's best for your pooch!
Old February 18th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I actually don't have a dog yet... :sad:
But we're thinking of adoting a 13 month old Vizsla who's been fed following the BARF diet her whole life. This is only a POSSIBLE adoption, I don't wanna jinx it, which is why I haven't even posted about this yet...we meet her tomorow...I'm just researching ahead of time! If we decide to adopt her, there'll be a zillion more questions!!!!

Is it safe to switch her slowly to Innova? I've also heard that dogs choke on the bones and could die...

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 18th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Furless/Furred/Feathered

Vizsla is a wonderful breed! I almost took a boy in but he reminded too much of my TeddyBear. I won't jinx you, lalala, not thinking of it at all..if you BARF you can't kibble too as the combo can cause serious tummy problems due to the kibble taking so much longer to digest. There are some great newer kibbles out there that would probably be okay to feed along with as long as you researched it first. Innova and a new Nutro one, not the regular Nutro, but their newest. Also, there is pre-packaged raw that I've read about. I don't think I can get Keyto to switch as she's been fed kibble too long. Wish I had known then what I know now..in fact I wish I was 20 yrs old again with this knowledge! Sorry, I rambled there didn't I?
Old February 18th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Accidents can happen at any time with anything. Rawhides create the need for far more surgeries then natural bones.
Extruded kibble can cause bloat and gastric torsion resulting in death - in one meal. Poorly made kibble can cause cronic illness' and early death through poor immune systems and organ failure.
Dangers lurk everywhere - but if you do your research and decide that RAW is best for your dog and your life style then if done correctly there shouldn't be a problem.
If bones scare you then do chicken necks (no bones) or pulverise the bones in a grinder or osterizer.
The pre-made raw diets contain everything you need and there are no large bone fragments to worry about. If you make your own raw diet besure to include bone meal, eggs, organ meat, probiotics and enzymes.
Even if you supplement a quality kibble with raw meats etc. that is better than no fresh meat.
Besure that all things are done in balance and that you don't introduce any new food too suddenly.
Just do your research and do your best - then you will have no regrets.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old February 18th, 2005, 06:21 PM

Quote:
if you BARF you can't kibble too as the combo can cause serious tummy problems due to the kibble taking so much longer to digest.
That is strue, but with Innova, you can actually mix the two, if you want.

Meb999, if the dog is raw food now, it may be hard to adjust it to kibble. That's why our border got so sick. She had been fed raw since she was a pup, and when we tried to do kibble, her digestive system didn't like it and it cause too many problems. I strongly suggest that if you're affraid of your dog choking on bones, to try the pre-packaged stuff. All the meat and bones are ground up, so the dog has an easier time with it. Also, you have to remember that raw bones don't splinter as easily as cooked ones. If you do decide to go with Innova, fast the dog for at least 12 hours and then start. It is a very good food, and it may be easier for her to adjust to. You can also check out www.mountaindogfood.com for their line of products and list of ingredients. Good luck, and I hope you get the doogie!!
Old February 18th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

not sure but...

I don't think Mountain Dog is available here. The only store that might carry it or get it in for you would be Natural Animal and Pawtisserie on Sherbrooke Street in Westmount. The lady that owns it, Diane, would be able to help you with that. She's pretty knowledgable about B.A.R.F. diets.
Old February 18th, 2005, 08:26 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeler's rock!
If raw isn't for you, Innova has come out with a new equally amazing dog food called Innova Evo. That's what our heelers eat. It's raw food in kibble form. There are absolutely no grains in it, and the kibble is actually held together by potatoes! It's all natural and full of protein. It's done wonders for them! Good luck finding out what's best for your pooch!
That sound like something I might look into, where should I look for that food.
Old February 18th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Innova Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenblaze
That sound like something I might look into, where should I look for that food.
416 area code
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...ame=&x=24&y=11
905 area code
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...ame=&x=15&y=12
There ya go!

I was given a 18kg bag to try out with a litter of puppies and the results were amazing. The black lab pups glistened after a week and their coat was lovely, thick and wavy.

Last edited by BMDLuver; February 18th, 2005 at 08:34 PM. Reason: area code challenged, lol
Old February 18th, 2005, 09:51 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
416 area code
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...ame=&x=24&y=11
905 area code
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...ame=&x=15&y=12
There ya go!

I was given a 18kg bag to try out with a litter of puppies and the results were amazing. The black lab pups glistened after a week and their coat was lovely, thick and wavy.

Thank You.... any is the 613
I will look around, I once had a Black Lab and people would comment on Kaiger, tell me he was so black he was blue
he too had a beautiful coat.
Old February 18th, 2005, 10:50 PM

Raw is the best thing you can do for your animal imo. I’ve been feeding raw for 5 years and both my dogs grew up on it and have never had kibble. I personally would never ever feed kibble again, but that’s my opinion.
If you decide to go with raw please research and learn to do it properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeler's rock!
I’m going to disagree with that. First of all, that whole “raw in kibble form” is a marketing ploy and a very dishonest one. How can cooked, processed and than cooked some more kibble be in any way like raw, fresh meat and veggies? It is still kibble, and there is nothing natural about kibble, no matter what company marketing team says.

My second and biggest concern is that it is so high in PROCESSED protein and very low in water (it is kibble after all) and enzymes (killed in the cooking process). It is very hard for a body to filter all that cooked protein (most of which will not be used) without huge water intake and even than its doubtful. I would be very concerned for kidneys (filters the waste) and the effect feeding 40% + of cooked protein with almost no moisture would have on kidneys.
Yes, raw is high in protein, but that’s raw protein with lots of moisture (more than 60% I think).
Its not about % of protein in the food, but about quality and a body being able to digest and utilize it.

There is no way I would feed Evo to my dogs.

You don't have to believe what I say, but it would be a good idea to do your own research on this.
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenblaze
Thank You.... any is the 613
I will look around, I once had a Black Lab and people would comment on Kaiger, tell me he was so black he was blue
he too had a beautiful coat.
613 area code
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...name=&x=15&y=9

I don't know if it's good or bad, I just noticed a real difference in the pups and it didn't bother their little systems.
Old February 19th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor

There are a number of kibbled formulas designed to be fed with either raw or cooked meat. Most are grain based; Evo contains no grain. Kibbled & raw can safely be fed together.
Honest Kitchen, Solid Gold, Wysong....those are three grain based kibbles that are recommended best fed with meat.
Here is my very favourite website on dog nutrition:
http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html

Yes I feed a raw diet to my dogs, and I know lots of people who do also. Most dogs thrive on it, but it's possible to succesfully combine diets, as long as one does it sensibly.
I did indeed write a book on rawfeeding, it is sold just about everywhere and won an award from Dog Writers Of America last year, which just floored me!
I also run a yahoogroup on dog nutrition, if anyone wants to check it out PM me for details. It's a very active, relaxed and helpful group.

Viszlas are cool! I used to baby-sit one for friends, he was a trip. Ask the people who have him about how she's being fed....
oh one more thought, lots of people grind their own meat & bones because the premade is quite expensive. You can get grinders that will do most whole bones for about $100.00.