Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old June 8th, 2005, 01:09 PM

Exclamation (They got it!)Can anybody help to catch a cat? (Montreal)

latest news, the temp owner called me this morning and said they got the cat!

========================================
My friend tried to bring his cat back China with him. But the cat hide himself in the house before he left. He had to ask a friend to take care of the cat and went back China alone. After one week, with the help from SPCA, they finally caught the cat and send him to a temp foster home.
Unfortunately, the temp owner didn't take good care of the cat, and threw the cat out last weekend because the cat bite her . Now the cat is living outside of the house. He is scared and doesn't let anybody get close to him. However he still comes back to eat the food outside of the house everyday. Can anybody here help to catch the cat? The location is 7204 Ave. 1re (outside of blue line metro station D'iberville, east of boulevard Iberville).My friend tried to get help from SPCA, but SPCA said it is too far, they cannot help (I'm in toronto, and have no idea about the location in Montreal).
If anybody can help or has any information on whom we should get help from, pls send me a PM or email me at aima@yahoo.com.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited by cookieNfluffy; June 29th, 2005 at 09:08 AM.
Old June 8th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

This poor kitty probably bit her b/c he was scared. Wouldn't you be? All that you have ever known suddenly disappears, including the one person who was caring for you.

Is the SPCA in Quebec or in this case Montreal a kill shelter? In other words, if no-one claims the cat in so many days, will they eutheize her or him? (tho the word euthanize seems too tame for what kill shelters do, imho!)

Maybe one of the rescue organizations in Montreal can help - Lucky Rescue, Sandy's group?? This cat is probably scared to death right now and his behaviour will be almost feral like. So if you can obtain a cat friendly trap and place some tuna or sadines (something smelly that attracts him and he prob is hungry by now, poor baby!) and then find a good rescue organization that can help (NOT the SPCA which I do think is a kill shelter in Mtl - there are several ppl on this Board from the Mtl area so they will be more helpful than I in that regard.

Does your friend want the cat sent to him in China? Or is he returning and seeking a fostering type situation?
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Iberville is an hour out of montreal so Jean Talon SPCA does not service that area. I don't think that SPCA Monteregie does either. I would think the closest place is AMR in St. Constant. They may have a live trap that can be lent to catch the cat, but then what? The OP is in Toronto, the owner is in China and the foster home tossed the cat out. There are cats coming out of every nook and cranny in Montreal and surrounding areas needing help. If this one is caught, who can help it? Sorry to sound pessimistic but what exactly is the next step if several hours are spent to catch this cat? What's the plan for this cat once it is caught?
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:06 PM

my friend has all of the documents ready for the cat to be send back china. The plan is, if anybody can help to catch the cat, he will arrange air canada cargo to bring the cat to china. In between, if he cannot find a foster home in montreal, we have somebody can bring the cat to toronto, i would like to take care of the cat. So now the most important thing is to catch the cat. My friend is really upset for the cat suffering outside.
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

k, so now I'm confused. The cat was already caught once with the help of the SPCA, so if that's the plan.. they aren't helping again now because it's in a different area? I'm just trying to understand then perhaps a group can get together and trap this cat.
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Crusader

I could help..i need to know who am i suppose to hand over the cat too?
the lady that was bitten by the cat? do you have a picture of the cat?.. does he trust people?
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:22 PM

yes, the first time is right before they left to the airport, the cat hide itself in the house, and they couldn't get him. So they had to left without the cat. and ask a friend in montreal to help to feed the cat. after a week, SPCA helped them to catch the cat, and somebody promised my friend that she would like to adopt the cat for 1 yr (my friend will come back in 1 yr). So the cat was send to her place. But she is not a real cat lover, and complained that the cat is always hiding, not close to her, so dirty .... she tried to take a bath for the cat which scare the cat, so the cat bit her. She got angry and decide to send the cat to the shelter. My friend beg her to keep the cat for 1 more week so he has time to arrange a new home for the cat. But she threw the cat out after 2,3 days! the cat has never been outside before and is scared of everything! my friend is so worried about it.
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

hmmmm, sounds like catching this poor cat is going to be a challenge. I'd say it's had quite a rough time of it with strangers lately. So once the cat is caught, it is going where immediately?
Old June 8th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to disagree about the challenge part - having tamed a few ferals. No (*&^ wonder the cat bit the foster person - most cats, my fioster sphynx being in the distinct minority HATE water. I mean, put yourself in the position of this cat. Her so called owner leaves and she is scared, she finds herself in a new place and she does what is natural to cats who are scared. She hides! Then to top it off, this person takes a scared cat and tries to give it a bath. The challenge here is the humans who have no idea how to think like a cat!!!

If I was closer to that area, I'd help you catch the kitty. Most cats become semi feral even tho they are rarely far from where they started out. You have to treat it as if it were feral to catch it tho. Use a friendly trap and entice the kitty with smelly food like tuna.

I suggest your friend do a much more thorough check of the next person who is to care for his cat but if it's you, then maybe he does not need to. Why on earth did this woman agree to it if she is not a cat person. That makes no sense at all.

In some ways, it will be like starting all over again with this kitty - she may even not even recognize him given he is so far away and probably smells different. I can list a plethora of experiences shared by my young patients wo returned home after a prolonged hospital stay only to be rejected by their cat b/c they simply did not recognize the smell - and cats use smell to determine who's who and what's what (for lack of a better way to put that, lol). Hopefully, your friend has left something with his scent on it and that can accompany the cat to China and all will be well.

Even better would be if someone is going to China and can take the cat in the cabin with them. That is a long trip in cargo and I don't wish it on any furry creature!
Old June 8th, 2005, 08:39 PM

Just a note: the original poster refers to the cat being near Iberville (the metro station), so that has to be in Montreal, not the town of Iberville QC.
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Thanks for all of the replys!
I have the following arrangement for the cat :
1. I called the current "owner", she said the cat came back to eat the food in the first couple of days. But these 2 days, the neighbour is working on something which may scare the cat, so she didn't see him these 2 days. I asked her keep monitering on this. And she agree to have ppl help to catch the cat.
2. If we successfully catch the cat, I have a friend (herself is a cat owner) can take care of it for couple of days.
3. There is a driver who travel between Montreal and Toronto every Fri, Sat and Sun, he will bring the cat to Toronto
4. A cat owner here in Toronto whose cat passed away last mth would love to adopt the cat.

I also agree that given current situation, transfer the cat back to china is not a good idea.

Whomever can physically help to catch the cat, I will send you the address and the contact numbers.

Here is the cat's pic
Attached Images

Old June 9th, 2005, 02:08 PM

another pic
The old owner had 2 cats, he brought the other back China. This one has lived with him for 3 yrs.
Attached Images

Old June 9th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Crusader

Quote:
may scare the cat, so she didn't see him these 2 days.
Listen i am ready to go out there right now and "Catch this cat"
but now they've not seen him in 2 days, this is not "Catch the cat" it's more like help look for missing Cat..that cat can be anywhere..and it was first seen on 1st avenue.. can be anywhere by now.. on any block..
it's not going to be easy to find this cat..

I'm going to call your friend Rick and see what we can do..
(this is a pic posted of the area and what the the area looks like)
Attached Images

Old June 9th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Crusader

Okay i spoke to Rick..he said that we can meet up Saturday morning.
We'll post some flyers and have a walk around the area and ask Questions..
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:13 PM

Thanks!!
I called the lady yesterday and today, there is a neighbour's outdoor black cat with light color collar looks quite like the missing cat. So make sure you won't "kidnap" it. She still didn't see the cat around these days and the food outside was not touched. I just wish that he may be feed by the neighbours who have outdoor cats...
Old June 11th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow,poor kitty...she's beautiful,I hope you find her..
IronKnight,if you find her,you'll be a true Knight :love:
Old June 19th, 2005, 10:37 AM

I was just wondering if you found the cat yet?
Old June 19th, 2005, 02:14 PM
banned user

Yes! IronKnight- how did that Saturday morning meet go?
Old June 24th, 2005, 11:43 PM

Question

Hi, I am the owner. Ironknight, if need any help please email me at carolcxy@hotmail.com if you have any news please let us know
Old June 25th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I really hope this wasn't some sort of wild goose chase situation.

How did it all go Iron?
Old June 25th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Arrow

Hi, everyone, I phoned the temporary owner today, she said there are several cats stralling around the neighbourhood. Although the food is missing in her back yard every 2 or 3 days, she still can not make sure that it is my cat who ate the food. I am wondering can anyone set up a trap in the yard, and we will see which cat it is. According to her, the cat usuall comes out at night, and she can't stay up all night to watch. My cat is a extremely coward, sensitive and smart one, it is very hard to catch him if he sees you. So anyone who can help please let me know, and I will pay for any costs involved in this situation.

Last edited by Manfield; June 25th, 2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old June 25th, 2005, 12:57 PM
banned user

Hmmm, wonder why IronKnight speaketh not....
Old June 25th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Flower
Hmmm, wonder why IronKnight speaketh not....
I offered my help..instead what i kept getting was a run around....
they guy who's suppose to be in charge "RICK" told me he will call me so we can meet up...and it's funny at first on the phone he pretended he knew nothing then he asked me to send him the pictures .. and address of THIS Thread which i did..
No called.. when i tryed to contact him he wont answer.. so.. i'm not into games!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfield
and I will pay for any costs involved in this situation.
People offer their help because sometimes WE Want to help..but not for money...

I am just a stranger..cant you get a family in MTL to Take charge and they can contact me? so we can find this critter!

Last edited by iRONKNiGHT; June 25th, 2005 at 06:33 PM.
Old June 25th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

A goose a goose I thought I saw a goose!

It went thataway ------------------------->
Old June 25th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Crusader

I will drive by later and have a look for your cat... i'll even go talk to the lady.. and If your cat ment so much to your Manfield .. all i have to say is "irresponsible". Anyways are you in MTL? send me a PM and i'll call you..
Infact i'm going now...
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Best of luck I hope you catch kitty...seriously though won't sardines work?

I'm sure they would be wonderful little tempations to a cat
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:23 PM

Arrow

Hi, IronKnight, I called the temporary owner I think she doesn't know where the cat is nor whether he is still coming back for his dinner in the backyard. All I know is that my cat has never went out before(everytime we went out, he peed) I wish you good luck and whatever the result is, I truly appreciate your help.
Old June 25th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Manfield,if you are the owner,you are in China,right?
I really hope someone will find the poor cat,he is beautiful and you must be upset not knowing where he is.
The woman giving him a bath should have her head examined,he was not used to her and probably not even a bath,no wonder he bit her,I know any of my cats would too and then she throws him out
It's probably like looking for a needle in a haystack in Montreal,with all the stray cats,but I hope to read some good news soon.
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:26 AM

They got it!!!

latest news, the temp owner called me this morning and said they got the cat!
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Great news..thank's for telling us! Now what happens to him? Going to China??