Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old March 14th, 2010, 10:05 AM

Even though we have a garden every year at work, I frankly have no clue as to what I am doing. I try....

But this year I really want to learn and see if we can't have a nice garden. I should have a little more time this year, as we were able to hire an extra person...yay me!

My question is, are there any good websites for people who don't really have a clue. So I can look up just what I should be doing, other than watering. Like pinching things back and any other things that certain veggies will need.

I was smart this year though and started a buch of things in mini greenhouses. So far I have 8 little newborn broccoli's pokeing through...they're soo cute.

Thanks, I know there's lots of sites out there but, the few I have looked at. The search features are terrible.

"All of the animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it." ~ Samuel Butler

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals" ~ Anonymous
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Doggie Wench

There's a "Gardening All-in-One For Dummies" book. I'll be shopping for one shortly .

I think the trick is to look up each individual plant/vegetable to learn how to best care for it. I'm sort of a newbie too. Only had one garden several years ago (before the dogs) and most everything turned out great...luck I guess .

Don't forget to take pics of your garden to share with us .
Old March 18th, 2010, 10:35 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

http://davesgarden.com/

Best one going. Free to join and ask questions.
And, as LP said, get yourself a few books on gardening. They are usually interesting reading. You learn a lot in a short period of time.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 19th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I guess I'm pretty lazy as far as researching gardening, because I just plant the stuff, fertilize it, prune it, and it grows great
I do get tips from my dad, but I usually don't need them.

I do look up general care for each specific plant I buy, and that's probably the most important thing to do. It's much much easier to look up info on caring for specific species than just looking up gardening advice in general. As you learn what to do with each plant you will figure out what it takes to grow stuff in general in time.

Mainly I just make sure my soil is well prepped and fertile before I plant. Everything else seems to take care of itself. The healthy plants don't seem to have insect problems and I fertilize with miracle grow (I just use tomato fertilizer, it seems to be a good general fertilizer . MOST plants will do fine with it. There are a few flowers and veggies that need something different.) every couple of weeks and then stop just before the veggies start to grow and just water.
I make sure to water in the evening when the sun's not bright (I've heard the leaves can burn because water droplets will act as a reflector...not sure if it's true but I do this anyway). I don't overwater and just make sure the soil is slightly moist. Tomatoes especially do not like super wet soil.

This seems to work for everything I grow so I really have no reason to do much else . I guess I could maybe grow some stuff bigger but I'm not worried about it. My dad used to use a mix of organic (I use compost) and chemical fertilizer (miracle grow) and his veggies would get HUGE. He could have entered them at the county fair since they were usually bigger and healthier than any of the ones there, but I guess he had no urge.

Anyway, so yeah, I'm not expert or anything, that's just what works for me.