Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old November 16th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

LONDON Ont. wants NO BAN!

I have just come in from a 4.5 hr. public input meeting at city hall in London Ont where the OVERWHELMING majority of the citizens that spoke at the meeting were strongly opposed to any type of breed ban, pit bull or otherwise!! We were rather vocal about muzzling dogs too! No way, no how! was the general feeling, and I left there so uplifted and strong!

Initially, I arrived at 4 p.m. and the chambers were already full of spectators with approximately 35 people waiting and hoping to get inside just to see and hear. We raised such a stink in the hallway that the media left the chambers and filmed and interviewed us, which gave our plight even MORE exposure! I will likely be on the news at 11 p.m. on NewsNow London....I'm the one in the "Punish the Deed, Not the Breed" sweatshirt, that was hugely popular!

I was also interviewed by the local paper and will no doubt be mentioned there! I stuck to the facts and was well prepared, no thanks to all of the good advice found here at Pets.ca!! We rock!

Eventually, all of us were allowed into chambers and did get to speak, as did so many animal professionals, local Humane Society, vets, breeders etc., and I only heard 2 people out of 70 or so that were for muzzles and for breed bans.

I came up with a new slogan: "PIT BAN BULL". That's what it is...bull!!

As I left, a young family was outside of city hall with their lovely pit bull daughter and I suggested to try to get her to be well behaved when the councillors and speakers came out, as she is the only dog there, (and a pit!), and the last thing we need was for her to be jumping up, even if only out of excitement. She was just so happy to be alive! And I am very glad that these people decided to bring her for support. They said they would keep her "controlled" as best they could, but she was just so happy! A real treat and a perfect example of a loving and well cared for girl!

So, I hope that the we the people had a strong impact on council, as I'm sure we did.

One good point that was raised was what recourse, legally, do dog owners have to fight this nonsense. Does it fall under the OMB? And the answer was that we have to take up a legal challenge, and I, for one, am up to the task!
YAHOO!
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Nice work LP!!! That's great!!! Oh, this day has made me feel so much better!! The talktv with Alex Pierson tonight is EXCELLENT!!! I'm watchin online because I'm in the US this week!!

Congratulations LP!! I'm so happy that things went well for you guys!!

My grandparents neighbours are the ones heading up that ban in London!! The lady's husband was bit by a pittie while he held his dog away from it! :sad:
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Meaghan Edwards

AWESOME! Now that is great news!
Old November 16th, 2004, 10:53 PM

London wants no ban

Oh dear Sammiec...I believe I know of the couple that is heading up the ban. I think they held a rally in the park a few months back and she was the head speaker. I thought she was leaning more toward addressing all agressive dogs, not solely the pit bulls, but I may be mistaken. I am quite bushed now from all of the activities tonight and may have my facts out of line. Is there any point to trying to talk to her? Are the lines in the sand so deeply drawn? Perhaps I will meet her and her family in the near future and can speak freely to her about current issues without inflaming things. It is such a volitile topic, but if approached with kid gloves, you'd be amazed at what can be accomplished.

Take, for instance, a woman who is on the same committee that I am, namely the London Dog Owners' Association. She was firmly set in her decision that all pbs should be banned. She owns a GS and a smaller beagle-type dog. I wore my "Punish the deed, not the breed" t-shirt to a past meeting and she quite clearly, albeit politely, said she totally disagreed. Well, after attending tonights' meeting, her viewpoint change 360 degrees! She left that meeting totally opposed to a breed specific ban, as she now realizes that this does affect her and her GS. She was impressed by the facts presented and the passion displayed by the public. Another convert!!!! as well as an educated member of the public.

If you have any thoughts on how I might tactfully approach your grandparents' neighbours, please let me know if I can be of service.

Have a good night.
Old November 17th, 2004, 08:53 AM

LONDON Ont. wants NO BAN!

Here's the scoop from today's Free Press. Hoorah London!!

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/London...17/718044.html