Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 18th, 2005, 10:53 AM

Unhappy 2 Cats - 2 Problems!

Help me please!

I have 2 cats - the eldest is 7 years old & is very much overweight. Both are large cats to begin with, completely indoor & I have had them on a diet of 1 cup/day Iams Indoor Weight Control & Hairball formula. However, the eldest eats all her food, then often sneaks and eats the other's! She also has now taken to eating the fake grass out of my fake plant pots & constantly throws that up a few times a week! The other cat seems to get his full share of food, but typically eats a few bites, leaves it for a few minutes, eats a few more bites, leaves it for a few minutes - continuing this throughout the evening until the food is gone. He also will throw up whole morsels of food, esp. if fed earlier or later than the hour of his usual feeding time! Good gosh, what do I do! I'm tired of cleaning up throw up & I can't even have live plants, now my fake ones are in danger?! Any ideas what I can do about the plants, & why my cats are ruining my carpets with their vomitting episodes?

:sad:
Old April 18th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Did you recently change foods?

Gosh - I don't know about the fake plants, but did you change their food recently? Perhaps the older cat is getting an upset stomach from the food (or maybe having too much - since she is eating hers and the others ) and thinks the grass is real in your fake plants. You said that you can't have real plants, is that a preference or a health issue? I was thinking that maybe the older cat needs that cat grass stuff. I haven't owned cats for a long time (husband doesn' like them) but I know that if a dog is vomiting regularly, you've got a problem.
Old April 18th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Cats who are overweight and vomit a lot should see a vet.

If they get a clean bill of health, I would take them off the Iams and start feeding them canned food.

I would also get a pot and grow some grass seeds in the window or outside for them to nibble on when they have a craving for grass.