Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old March 9th, 2004, 06:16 PM

Wink Toy poodle possibly pregnant

I have a toy poodle who is 5 years old. She has never had puppies before. She was with a male poodle from 1/4 through 1/8 She was in heat as he was very much interested, but she didn't seem to interested. We never saw them breed but we were not with them all the time. Last Thrusday she started nesting and has milk. She doesn't appear to be real large .She is still active and has been eating. But she wines and stays in her box a lot. She scratches and makes a nest. My question is how can I tell if she is pregnant or has a false pregnancy other than taking her and getting her x-rayed? How long can she go and still be going to have puppies? Any information would be appreciated
Old March 11th, 2004, 06:03 PM

You need to get your dog to the vet. The only way to be sure your dog is pregnant and that she is doing well in her pregnancy, is to have her checked by a vet. I assume that you are not a registered breeder, so I hope you are able to look after all of these puppies if she is in fact pregnant. That means accepting responsibility for all of the vet bills for the post-birth examination of both mother and pups, as well as getting them vaccinated before finding them GOOD homes. If you're dog does not turn out to be pregnant, then I suggest getting her fixed right away - especialy if she plans on visiting with her "friend". There are also health benefits to having it done outside of avoiding unwanted litters. Oh, and FYI - dogs don't wait till they have an audience to do the "nasty". For centuries all "women" have played hard to get so the fact that she didn't seem interested, just made the chase much sweeter for him!!
Old March 13th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I assume you have had the female and male dogs x-rayed for hip problems, and I also assume that these dogs are up to show quality, and have never had any health problems.

If not...I could go on and on, but please don't let this happen again.
Old March 13th, 2004, 08:13 PM

I agree...

Unless the dogs are up to show standards and will be wanted... Do not breed again.

We have enough animals that go without homes.

Hopeful is a 10 year old blue point siamese cat. Near January 1st, this year, he was run over and his hind-legs, his right fore-leg broken, and his spine fractured. Around $10,000 later, he is back to the "normal" cat he used to be. I saved him, because many years ago, he saved me.

Tulip, Hopeful's 3 year old daughter, fixed blue point siamese.
Rex, is Hopeful's 3 year old unfixed lilac point siamese son.

Spirit, is a white Boxer who was born deaf, and is now blind for he was originally used as a fighting dog. Got him 3 months ago, he is 3 years.

Queen, is a pure-bred red/white Border Collie. She is 6 years old. She helps round up llamas on a 212 acre ranch in Colorado

Shelcka is a Mustang. Her mother was killed by foolish kids when Shelcka was a baby, and I ended up with her. She is solid black with a flaxen mane and tail. 3 years old.
Old March 13th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Well if nothing else you need to take her to a vet to be checked!
Or do you not want to spend the money.....