Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 28th, 2011, 01:52 PM

Affordable Vaccination Titering?

I have been looking for awhile now for a clinic or lab to get titers done for a reasonable price.

Both my vet and the university clinic suggest about $500 for rabies, parvo, and distemper. Upon talking to many people it seems that there are expensive labs and much cheaper labs when it comes to titering. I'm told if I look around I should be about to get it done for $150. Could anyone help out with the name of a vet or lab that does titers for a reasonable cost? For those who have had titers done, what did you pay?
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old June 29th, 2011, 12:48 PM

We used to get the titers done at Animal Wellness in Vancouver and I thought it was only about $75? That was a few years ago tho.

http://www.vancouveranimalwellness.com/aboutus.html
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old June 29th, 2011, 01:20 PM

Thank you very much for your reply I will make an inquiry!
--------------------
Old June 29th, 2011, 04:01 PM

We requested the vet we went to at the time to do it and they told me it was $150 (approx. if i recall) and I told them that's awfully high as it was alot cheaper at the holistic vet. The receptionist ran up one side of me and down the other stating that "well maybe you should have the dog vaccinated instead then!" LOL yea that went well. I gave it to her. She judged me without even knowing the facts. Our dog had severe reactions to vaccines so we were unable to vaccinate him. basically told her to shove it and we never went back.

Good luck!
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old June 29th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I have heard prices in Ontario as high as 350.00?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 29th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Doggie Wench

We have blood drawn at our vet office by technicians for about 40$. It's then FedEx'd to Hemopet in LA where we have the titer testing done. Results are emailed within 48 hours.

Here's a list of their prices (in US$) http://www.hemopet.org/files/TEST_RE...NG_DETAILS.pdf

And the website http://www.hemopet.org/
Old June 30th, 2011, 07:15 AM

That's awful totallyhip! That's my trouble too, although not very severe our Chihuahua "isn't himself" for several months after vaccination. I'm just not of the thinking that yearly vaccination is very wise either. Vaccinations are very important, and work very well, but we have yet to understand the full impact of over vaccination! I will see if I can find a holistic vet in the area for some pricing.

Winston, $350 is still better than the $530 my regular vet quoted! Ouch!

Thanks for the link luckypenny!!!
--------------------
Old June 30th, 2011, 07:37 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyhip View Post
The receptionist ran up one side of me and down the other stating that "well maybe you should have the dog vaccinated instead then!" LOL yea that went well. I gave it to her. She judged me without even knowing the facts. Our dog had severe reactions to vaccines so we were unable to vaccinate him. basically told her to shove it and we never went back. Good luck!
Of course they wanted to vaccinate your dog ... what good is a healthy dog to them? Good for you!

Myka Are you titering to cross the border or ?
Old June 30th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Will your Vet not write an exemption certificate for your dog? Does your municipality, boarding kennel, doggy day care and training facility accept titres? A training facility near me will not accept them, but perhaps would with an exemption cert.

A health of animals Vet in Ontario that I spoke to two years ago told me he is required to keep his own rabies vaccinations up to date and to titre himself cost him $200. Of course it was a job related expense and paid for by his employer, the province. Oh, and at the time of our conversation his actual vaccination was 7 years old and his titres were still testing high enough to offer all the protection he needed.

ETA: Just noticed your yearly comment. Are you not following the three year protocol? A tip, I recently had my boy in for his yearly exam. His three years rabies is not due till 2012. I informend the Vet that as per my research and our breeder that I intended to follow the 3 year for the others as well. "Oh no," he said, " they are due, they were only good for two years." I said I didn't care, I wasn't doing them. THEN, then, he tells me the manufacturer of the DA2PP he uses is Merial and it is now warranted for 3 years. My certificate says my dog got the vaccination in 2009 and it is good till 2012. Needless to say I am not pleased he attempted to get away with an unnecessary vac.

I checked this out on the internet and it seems most manufactures of DA2PP or others are now warranting for 3 years instead of two.

Another tip, it is very, very difficult to separate vacs, but you should do it if you can. Give the rabies, if you give it, a week or so apart from the others. I have to do that with two of my cats. The other, the DA2PP, is harder since it usually comes already combined. Othre syou might give like Bordatella, Lymes, Lepto can be separated. It's just a quick injection, I was never charged for a whole other office visit for the cats. I mean for your dog since he is sensitive. I don't bother separating for my big galoot of a lab.

Last edited by Longblades; June 30th, 2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old June 30th, 2011, 04:19 PM

Peewee visits a doggie daycare that requires a veterinary vaccine certificate, however they will accept titers. I am not in charge of his health care because he is not my dog (he is SO's), and he has received yearly vaccines his entire life (he's 7 now). He was also bought as a puppy from a large chain pet store, so I have been educating SO on puppy mills and doggie health care! His papers say he was due for his yearly vaccines again this last April so he can't stay at the doggie daycare until he either gets titered or gets his vaccines. I'm trying to convince SO to do titers on Peewee instead of vaccinating because at only 8 lbs, vaccinations affect him for a long time and every year it is worse. He usually goes once a year and gets the full spectrum of vaccines including Bordetella done in one day (ridiculous). SO is not going to go for a $530 titer visit when a vaccine visit is under $100. What SO doesn't take into consideration are the follow up visits that Peewee goes for when he gets "colds" (omg, it's the VACCINES!!!!! arggg!). SO picked up on this last year when I pointed out Peewee's reaction to the vaccines. Peewee isn't going to that vet anymore...

I am also adopting a 6 year old dog in a couple weeks for myself and I don't want to be giving her yearly vaccinations OR 3-year vaccinations. I don't want to give ANY vaccination that isn't needed.

Soooo, I'm just trying to avoid over vaccination, and the only way to avoid over vaccination is by titering. When is the last time you got your Polio vaccine??
--------------------
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:54 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Soooo, I'm just trying to avoid over vaccination, and the only way to avoid over vaccination is by titering. When is the last time you got your Polio vaccine??
When I tried avoiding their rabies to cross the border it wasn't accepted. Good luck!
Old July 1st, 2011, 05:37 PM

Ya, rabies seems to be the dirty devil...titering isn't usually accepted for things like state laws and border crossings. At least the rabies vaccine has a longer "due date" instead of yearly. Albeit studies show the vaccine is effective for 7-15 years in dogs. Go figure.

I can live with the laws, we all have to, but if I can avoid giving parvo, distemper, and lepto vaccines every year I will! Especially with the midget (Chihuahua).
--------------------