Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Need support and advice on pregnant feral

Oh boy, I'm feeling pretty sad right now and could use some advice from those who've been in this position. Here's the background:

I have a feeding station set up in my backyard for a couple of TNR kitties (as well as a few of the neighbour's cats with a taste for the good stuff). A while back, can't really pinpoint when (a month? 6 weeks?) a new cat started coming around. This one a stunningly gorgeous Flame-point Siamese. Young and female. She was incredibly shy and would take off at a full run if there was any sign of life from my house. But with regular meals of tasty wet food, she started to get used to my presence and was finally at a point where she'd come over if she heard me open my back door. I couldn't figure out if she had a home or not, but she became my most dedicated customer, waiting for me at 5am sharp to bring her breakfast. And then it dawned on me that she was pregnant.

Contacted some rescue groups here about taking her in, but they are chock-a-block with kittens and moms right now, so there's no room at the Inn. The only option was to take her in myself, or let her have her babies on the street. I prepared my spare room for her and caught her last night. My plan was to plaster the neighbourhood with posters in case someone was missing her, but once I got her in the house, it was obvious that she was indeed feral. She'd clearly never been in a house before.

Which brings me to where we are now. She ate a small amount of wet food around midnight or so, and nothing since. Hasn't used the litter box, although footprints indicate she did walk through it. The part that's really killing me is how depressed she is right now. She's not scared of me, but she is clearly despondent about her situation. There were some scary moments last night when she was throwing herself repeatedly at the window, and now all she does is stare up at it. Her meows to me are pleading. I'm bawling as I write this cause I may have to let her go if she doesn't start eating by tomorrow. I'm bawling for causing her this stress when she was clearly such a happy playful cat outside. I'm totally second-guessing everything I've just done.

Anyone have some words of wisdom they can pass down to a newbie feral cat "rescuer"?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler