Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old July 17th, 2004, 03:57 PM

is a beagle right for me?

Have been researching a small breed to adopt and seems a big need for beagles in rescue. I don't want a terrier or a fussy little breed either, I have an epileptic Shepherd and can only adopt a nice natured, mature NON alpha type. Anyway, have researched beagles and see that there are problems with them following their noses and running off but we have a fenced yard altho surrounded by fields plus 2 barn cats that walk around - do you think that will be a problem and cause the beagle to want to get out after wildlife/cats? I guess my only other concern (but its a small one) is that they probably cannot be trained to heel for a nice brisk daily walk? Thanks for input
anneh
Old July 17th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Beagles are very smart and can be trained to heel, among many other things. I would walk one on a leash however, as they are VERY scent oriented and will take off after a really good scent.

Same thing with a fenced in backyard. You would need to make sure the fence is more secure then you would for, say, a collie. Something that smells really grand might be worth digging out for.
Old August 9th, 2004, 10:33 AM

Beagle

I've had dogs all my life, one of which was a Beagle... Charlie, who passed away from old age in 2002.

Charlie was indeed a VERY smart dog. She was indeed led by her nose, but more so by her stomach. Anywhere she smelled food, including yards away, she would follow and gorge herself. We lived very close to a McDonalds, whose dumpster was her favorite smorgasborg.

Although she was leash-trained as a puppy, as an adult if she was able to break free of the house (simply by pushing by someone entering or leaving the residence), no matter how fast you chased or how loud you called her, she would keep going until she reached her feeding ground. The lady across the street liked to feed birds on her lawn with breadcrumbs. I think Charlie must have ingested several loafs from her yard in her lifetime.

We had to duck-tape our refridgerator closed because she learned how to open it. The garbage was kept in the garage, thankfully convenient to the kitchen. We never left food or leftovers anywhere in reaching, climbing or jumping distance or it would be gone. Even toothpaste... anything with a food-like smell had to be locked away.

The next-door neighbour to my parents recently got a Beagle. Shortly after, and still today, we observe with fond memories as the neighbours run down the street with a box of milk bones calling after their pet, who led by the nose and stomach is in search for... something. Something edible, no doubt.

Anyways, good luck! They are a fun breed, but a lot of work!
Old August 9th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Thought I'd add an image to my story. Here's a scan of an old photo of Charlie. She was approximately 6 years at the time of this photo, exhibiting her "full girth".

Old August 9th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Cute story! And cute dog!
Old August 10th, 2004, 01:45 PM

Yeah, she was a great dog. A pain sometimes, but very loving... and smart!