Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 26th, 2006, 07:43 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Why do they do this???

Zoe has a few behaviours that puzzle me. I'm not concerned about them and I don't think they need to be fixed, but I'm just curious as to why she does them!

1)She has to pick up her food dish and bring it to whatever room I may be in to eat it - even if I'm in the next room and she can still see me.
2)She picks up the food dish and dumps the food out of the dish - and she won't eat it - she just dumps it. Speak of the devil, she's doing it right now!
3)She will not eat a bone unless I am home with her. Once in a while, I will give her a bone(as an extra treat) before I go to work to keep her busy longer. But she won't touch the bone! She will eat the food in her kongs and treat ball, but won't touch the bone! She used to hide it in her blanket, but that was it - she doesn't even do that anymore. And this is a dog who will steal any food if it is left unattended!!! I forgot to put rib bones back in the fridge one morning, and when I came home I saw them on the counter and was in disbelief that she didn't touch them!

I just haven't come up with any conclusions as to why she does these things. Anyone here have any suggestions??
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't know about the food dumping, but my Chloe does the same thing with bones!!

I can show her a nice marrow bone, and she runs eagerly to her bed, but when I give her the bone, she just lies there next to it and won't eat it. It's like she's afraid to touch it....

I have to spend some time coaxing her and praising her to make her eat it, and once she starts it's obvious she loves it.

OH, also, when I fill her water bowl when it's empty, she ducks away like she's expecting me to kick her..

WEIRD!!
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:22 PM

Not sure why she dumps her food, but I know some dog dishes are designed to be harder to pick up then others. Maybe getting one of those might at least make it more difficult / prevent her from picking up the dish??

My lab was the same way with her bones - she would literally run around the house whinning & trying to find the 'perfect' place to hide her bone as soon as I gave it to her....the funny thing was, she would often try to push it under one of my cats (it was almost a 'here - can you sit on this & guard it for me?)

But same thing - when I was gone - she'd eat her kong, but have nothing to do w/ her bone.....

Never did figure out why or how to convince her it was ok.....she did have minor s/a - maybe this had something to do with it??

C.
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:25 PM
owned by Tucker

Tucker likes to fling his bones around the house, you have to watch out for them. He just picks them up and throws his head back and lets it go, why who knows.
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Sometimes Jesse picks up her kibble and throws it around, other times she picks up the entire bowl and flings her kibble around. She thinks it's a big game. We usually just let her do it because it's fun for her and it occupies her for a while. Then there are times where whe picks up her wet food and dumps it over and just leaves it there, comes and gets you and gives you the happy "look at what I did" look!

As for her bones. We give her what we call twisties before we leave and she won't touch it until we get home. She'll eat her nummies, but no bones unless we are here.
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:47 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
OH, also, when I fill her water bowl when it's empty, she ducks away like she's expecting me to kick her..
Zoe ducks away when I try to put her leash on her(or jewllery or clothes ). Oh i can just imagine Chloe and Zoe(they rhyme! ) having the same look on their face!
Quote:
she would literally run around the house whinning & trying to find the 'perfect' place to hide her bone as soon as I gave it to her..
Copper was trained to "go on the blankie" to eat his bones or kongs. So if I give him a bone and i haven't put his blankie out yet, he runs around looking for that blanket!!!! It's almost like he has an anxiety attack when he can't find it! lol
Quote:
Tucker likes to fling his bones around the house, you have to watch out for them. He just picks them up and throws his head back and lets it go,
Oh Copper always did this too! Just playing around with them! This was before we got Zoe. He had his basket of toys and bones and would pick a bone out and throw it around and bark at it. We can't have bones lying around anymore for obvious reasons!!

Oh and Zoe's food dishes are the stainless steel ones! Supposedly dogs don't like metal in their mouths?? Who said that??? lol
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Jesse has stainless bowls too. It doesn't bother her one bit. I don't think anyone ever told her she wasn't supposed to like them in her mouth!!
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

lol... reading this thread I'm thinking... HEY! that sounds familiar!

Tucker used to dig the water out of his dish - then knock it over... we now have those non-tippy steel bowls w/ rubber on the bottom.

He likes to DROP his bones - so they dent the wood floor or break my toe.
(literally, he'll come over to me and drop a huge heavy marrow bone ON my foot - then run away as I'm yelling every obsenity I know, hobbling around)

and sometimes he gets all crazy when we give him some bones - he'll bring it on the couch, then jump back & forth at it - bumping it w/ his nose - barking - jumping... like he expects it to get up and play w/ him! whacko....
Old February 27th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

why

Annie my oldest pom puts her front legs in the water dish and splashes around atleast twice a day, has been doing this forever. The maid (me) just cleans it up as nothing will discourage her. Have put her in the bathtub with 2 inches of water but she won't play at all. The idiosyncrasys we put up with.