Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 10th, 2016, 09:00 PM

Stainless steel bowls made in the USA?

Hi,
I want to buy a couple of stainless steel bowls for the dog I'm looking after/taking care of. Well, she's kinda mine right now. I want the bowls to be made in the U.S.A., though. I'm having a hard time finding any. They are usually made in Asia but usually South Asia (India). I don't want those.

I found out about Basis Pet but they won't ship to Canada. No way of doing it that I know of. I thought about asking one relative who lives in California but I don't know her well. I think the cheapest I can find is - $40 Canadian for two bowls plus shipping (not sure what that is but probably about $20 CDN?).

I want a medium-sized bowl for water and a small-sized bowl for food.

The dog is about 10 lbs, I am guessing a Jack Russell, Chihuahua mix.

Does anyone have any advice, suggestions or recommendations of what I can do and how I can buy/order these bowls?

Edit: Ebay.ca has a pack of 2-small. A few other online outlets advertise but I don't know if they will ship to (ON) Canada. Some look like Basis Pet suppliers.

Thanks for any advice.
Old November 10th, 2016, 09:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We found some a while back, marketed by Kong. We picked them up in a brick-and-mortar store, but I wonder if Amazon might also carry them?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 10th, 2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
We found some a while back, marketed by Kong. We picked them up in a brick-and-mortar store, but I wonder if Amazon might also carry them?
That won't be made in the U.S.A., though.
Old November 10th, 2016, 11:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They were marketed with the Kong name on them, and they were clearly stamped with the made in USA label.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 10th, 2016, 11:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

There are a few listed here: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2NIJXOB5ED6UB

Old November 10th, 2016, 11:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ooops...I guess those are Basis Pet bowls...and you said they don't ship to Canada? Even if it's through Amazon?

Old November 10th, 2016, 11:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I found this web site! Stainless steel dog bowls made in USA !

https://www.basispet.com/products/st...pet-food-bowls
Old November 11th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1vuqirqeqy_b

Amazon.ca shows many stainless steel pet bowls. You would have to investigate to see where they are made but at least with Amazon.ca the price listed is exactly what you will pay, no worries about what added shipping a duty costs might be.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy bowls, or any stainless products like say good knives, made in a 1st world country where I could be reasonably confident no iffy materials made it into the steel. I am assuming that's your concern and it should be.
Old November 13th, 2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Ooops...I guess those are Basis Pet bowls...and you said they don't ship to Canada? Even if it's through Amazon?
That's correct. :-(

Sucks living in Canada.

It's pathetic - Amazon won't ship to Canada on many items and have separate web pages Amazon.com vs Amazon.ca. It's because it's so expensive to ship to Canada. So much for Free Trade. Sorry for the off-topic politics rant but I often have this issue.

I can't get a decent bowl for my dog since the bowls are made in the USA but companies won't ship to Canada.

An ebay seller will ship two small bowls (Basis Pet) to Canada but it's a bit more expensive (includes high shipping charge and import fee) but I was hoping to find a medium AND small bowl pack. That might be my only choice. :-/
Old November 13th, 2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1vuqirqeqy_b

Amazon.ca shows many stainless steel pet bowls. You would have to investigate to see where they are made but at least with Amazon.ca the price listed is exactly what you will pay, no worries about what added shipping a duty costs might be.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy bowls, or any stainless products like say good knives, made in a 1st world country where I could be reasonably confident no iffy materials made it into the steel. I am assuming that's your concern and it should be.
Do you think I didn't check this out already? :-/ Most bowls are made in India unless they make the point to specify it's made in USA. Even then, I will try to check it out to make sure it's acccurate and that the seller has a reputation or there are reviews in which buyers confirm it's made in the U.S. Most sellers on Amazon are selling cheap bowls made in India or elsewhere in Asia.
Old November 13th, 2016, 09:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Did you check out the link I posted it said the bowls are made in USA .
Old November 13th, 2016, 09:28 PM

Have you considered using a 3rd party company to get around the shipping restrictions to Canada?

http://www.borderlinx.com/CA/en/