Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 17th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Question Can I give a dog immodium??

Hi there, I'm waiting for a call back from my vet, but I was wondering in the meantime if it's safe to give a 65 pound dog with terrible watery and explosive diahorrhea a child's dose of immodium in the interim.

Thanks in advance for your responses and advice!
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Doggie Wench

Slippery Elm would probably work just as well. It's also a natural product unlike Imodium (I wouldn't give human meds to a pet unless given the ok from the vet). It can be found at most health food stores. Just follow directions on the package. I use homemade chicken broth (instead of water) to mix it with to entice my dogs to eat it. Your pup's stool might have a bit of jelly-like substance around it. Don't be alarmed, it's normal. Slippery Elm coats and soothes the digestive tract.

I'd also look into the cause of your dog's diarrhea in order to prevent it from happening again. Did he eat something new?

Last edited by luckypenny; April 17th, 2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes you can. I used to give my neo who weighed 190 pounds one tablet but I would recommend asking your vet about 1/2 a tab. I would ask do to the differences in our dogs weights I would not want to tell you the dosage. Another great thing for the runs is pumpkin puree you buy it in the grocery store not the pie filling but it is usually right next to it. Works great
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:04 PM

I would call the vets office and ask first before giving it! JMO
I have given my dogs boiled white rice for diareah as suggested by my vet. My vet also told me that pumpkin is for constipation. I give canned pumpkin to my Pom when he is constipated.
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We've used it in the past but always under the vet's direction--I wouldn't use it till you've actually talked to the vet. Depending on what ails your dog, immodium may or may not be indicated. There are some things better pooped out than kept in...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

No, No, No

NO. NO, do not give your dog immodium without checking with your Vet first. Some of the ingredients in immodium, and generic versions, are FATAL to some breeds.

http://www.k911.biz/Petsafety/Ivermectin.htm
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Monica, I tried to PM you about this and found you have not enabled this feature. But I did see that you have a border collie and that is one of the breeds known to have fatal adverse reactions to the invermectin in some anti-diarrhea products.
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Thanks re: immodium advice

Thanks to everyone who responded. In the end I've spoken with my vet who'll be setting me up with some prescription pills that he's taken before.

FYI, I have no idea what's causing the runs - I spent close to a thousand dollars a couple weeks ago running a multitude of tests at the vet, and they all came back clear. His issues cleared up for a week using antacids, prescription anti-diahorrhea meds, boiled beef and boiled white rice, but then resumed mysteriously two days ago.

I'm not aware of Diggy having eaten anything particularly bad, but he might have reacted badly to a "greenie" that I gave him 3 days ago, and a tiny piece of cheese. Who knows.

Thanks again.
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM
-

I hope Diggy's diarrhea gets cleared up with the meds your vet prescibed.

I know they were supposed to have "improved" the greenies but I would still not feed them to your dog.

Also, what are you normally feeding him?
Old April 17th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalola View Post
I would call the vets office and ask first before giving it! JMO
I have given my dogs boiled white rice for diareah as suggested by my vet. My vet also told me that pumpkin is for constipation. I give canned pumpkin to my Pom when he is constipated.

Pumpkin for Diarrhea and Constipation

It's quite strange that canned pureed pumpkin (not the pie filling but the 100% natural canned pumpkin) can work wonders for both the occasional bout of diarrhea or for the opposite, constipation in dogs. It has been reported that it firms up dog's loose stools or diarrhea within a few hours. How much pumpkin should you give? It depends on the size of the dog but as a rule of thumb a couple of teaspoons daily for a small dog or a couple of tablespoons for a large dog. It's doubtful that your dog or puppy will eat it without disguising it in some way in it's food.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

My sister's border collie had diarrhea issues most of his life till a temporary Vet at her clinic suggested she try him on Hill's weight control (WD) kibble and canned formulas. The dog did not need weight control but apparently the higher fibre content is effective for some pooches with unresolved digestive issues. It worked like a charm. Her only problem now, at age 16, is keeping some weight on him but he seems to feel much better. Before, a tiny bit of unusual food would severely affect him so she is also much more careful about the treats he gets.

When our Lab girl developed some digestive, continence and diarrhea issues in her old age we also tried her on the WD with the same good results. We did check with the Vet first.

Ask your Vet.