Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 16th, 2013, 05:22 AM

It's not safe out there

My neighbor's Labrador has been getting loose lately. He's snapped at my dad twice, and he's always crossing our yard. The neighbors have an electric fence, but I don't know if it's malfunctioned, or if the collar Buddy wears to go with it isn't working, or if it's loose, or what the deal is. I've been getting our mail by driving up to the mailbox when I've been warned that he's out, and my neighbor takes my grandfather's cane to defend herself if she goes out in front (I pass on the information about the dog to her). The escapes often happen when the neighbors are at work, and Buddy is usually home by the time his owners come back.

Also, my dad recently told me that pitbulls were sighted around his friend's pie shop. And we all know about the bloodthirsty reputation of those dogs! And those dogs already killed one cat. I don't want them to kill another, which leads me to my problem.

Ambre, my cat, loves going out. I know this sounds like some of my other posts, but he's become persistent about wanting to go outside, especially since he's been inside all winter. I don't want him to become a snack for any of these dogs. My parents and I all tell him that he can go to the breezeway, but that's it. He's also welcome to go up to my dad's studio, but that's as far as he's allowed to go. I don't open the screen door a crack to give him air anymore, since Mom and Dad told me that the pit bulls or Buddy might get in our yard and tear it, however, I do open the window in my dad's studio, since you have to climb the stairs to get to it.

I'm also thinking about my young niece and my brother's dachshund(sp?). Zoe's going on five, and Spike is a little dog with a big bark. What if any of the dogs come when they're visiting? Zoe loves driving her pink pedal car in the front, as well as playing on our front steps. What if Spike gets in an altercation with any of these dogs? And what can we do to keep Ambre safe? I've got a number for Animal Control, and I also have Buddy's owners on my cell phone, but what else can I do?

Last edited by smg680; May 16th, 2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old May 16th, 2013, 09:18 AM

Its your yard fenced? I personally, if it were my cat regardless of the situation, if he/she is going to be outside I would be there with them, maybe you can even put on a harness and leash while you are out there (if they have a tendency to take off) One of my uncles has a few cats, and they all learned from babies to be out in the yard playing but never to leave.

Now, I would probably try talking to Buddy's owner about the situation and let them know that if they don't fix this that unfortunately you will have to report the dog, its not safe for him to be running around, not just for other people but his own safety. If he is going to be left outside there should be a fence.

Also, my dad recently told me that pit bulls were sighted around his friend's pie shop. And we all know about the bloodthirsty reputation of those dogs! And those dogs already killed one cat. I don't want them to kill another, which leads me to my problem.

Definitely, if the dogs are on the loose, I would report them yes, so that they can be taken to a safe place. Now, I wouldn't judge them because of their "reputation" they are actually great loving dogs that many times fall in the hands of the wrong owners.

Good luck, and hopefully you don't have to drive to the mail box any more

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jull View Post
Its your yard fenced? I personally, if it were my cat regardless of the situation, if he/she is going to be outside I would be there with them, maybe you can even put on a harness and leash while you are out there (if they have a tendency to take off) One of my uncles has a few cats, and they all learned from babies to be out in the yard playing but never to leave.

Now, I would probably try talking to Buddy's owner about the situation and let them know that if they don't fix this that unfortunately you will have to report the dog, its not safe for him to be running around, not just for other people but his own safety. If he is going to be left outside there should be a fence.

Also, my dad recently told me that pit bulls were sighted around his friend's pie shop. And we all know about the bloodthirsty reputation of those dogs! And those dogs already killed one cat. I don't want them to kill another, which leads me to my problem.

Definitely, if the dogs are on the loose, I would report them yes, so that they can be taken to a safe place. Now, I wouldn't judge them because of their "reputation" they are actually great loving dogs that many times fall in the hands of the wrong owners.

Good luck, and hopefully you don't have to drive to the mail box any more
A dog could still go after the cat while it was wearing a harness , if the owner picked the cat up , a pitbull could end up going after the person and cat . The Op has report the dog to the ACO .
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
A dog could still go after the cat while it was wearing a harness , if the owner picked the cat up , a pitbull could end up going after the person and cat . The Op has report the dog to the ACO .
I know, I meant the point of the harness to be so that the cat doesn't leave the yard... assuming that it is fenced and he should be safe in his there.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by Jull; May 16th, 2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: missing words...
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:32 PM

good news, bad news

Some of the ideas and suggestions you gave me are very good. However, there are a few problems.

Harnesses and collars for Ambre won't work. I got him a cheap nylon collar when he was younger, and it took him all day to nibble through it. We also tried to put him on a leash, but he didn't like it.

Also, there is a fence between my property and Buddy's owners' property, but we've always seen him in the front yard, since he passes by the fence on his way out of his yard.
Old May 17th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't know where you are but where I am I'd, and I did, report the dog to police. In my area the OSPCA is only concerned about animal safety, not a hoot for humans. You say this dog has snapped twice at your Dad, that's enough, I'd call Police and say I was concerned for my own safety. And there are small children? Police, for me it's the OPP. Since your Dad is the one who was snapped at he should call.

I suppose it would be only neighbourly to inform Buddy's owners. But I've become a cynic after discussing the dog in my case with the owners THREE times I finally smartened up and called OPP. Incredibly I had to call them twice, the second time armed with names and phone numbers of several other neighbours who had also had trouble, including one with a bite to a four year old child.
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor

The OP has Kawkawlin as their location and there is town or city by that name in Michigan . I know if was happening in New Hampshire someone would had shot the dog by now for going into their yard. I am not saying that should happen to the dog but some states are very lose with their gun laws
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

The dog could definitely be shot here in Ontario too, at least in my rural area, and despite laws prohibiting firing a gun in a built up area. As a matter of fact both times I called Police I was advised to shoot the dog. And that was when they were at my house and could see how close other houses were. Neighbours across the street, on the edge of the village with lots more space behind them, WERE shooting at it. It showed up back home one day with an injury so I think someone did hit it. Had no effect on the owner who continued to let it run loose. A 120 lb. dog.
Old May 17th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
The dog could definitely be shot here in Ontario too, at least in my rural area, and despite laws prohibiting firing a gun in a built up area. As a matter of fact both times I called Police I was advised to shoot the dog. And that was when they were at my house and could see how close other houses were. Neighbours across the street, on the edge of the village with lots more space behind them, WERE shooting at it. It showed up back home one day with an injury so I think someone did hit it. Had no effect on the owner who continued to let it run loose. A 120 lb. dog.
How horrible! The poor dog , getting shot sure would have effect on it. What an irresponsible dog owner , it's too bad someone could not take the dog away from the person before it get killed.
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:30 AM

It happened again

Earlier this month, my mom and I were going out, and Buddy came in the yard again. This time, we were in the car when he approached us. Mom honked the horn to try and scare him, but Buddy barked at her. So she drove up to him, since the car is much bigger than he is (we decided to use the car only as a last resort). The neighbor shouted for Buddy to come back, and I thought the problem would finally be fixed.

This was not the case. Recently, I thought it would be all right for me to go out without my own (smaller) car and get the mail. Ever since Mom drove up to Buddy and he ran back home, I was lulled into a false sense of security. Buddy came running up to me, so I did what any person would do: I screamed, and couldn't decide whether to run across the street to a safe building or hide in my dad's van (even though I didn't know if it was locked or not). Buddy did finally go home, and I got the mail without any further incident. The neighbor's kids came over later and apologized, and said something that I don't find surprising: Buddy doesn't wear his collar and the electric fence is not on.

I didn't say it to them at the time, but if this happens again, I will be forced to call Animal Control, or the OPP (whatever that is).

Last edited by smg680; June 19th, 2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Senior Contributor

OPP is Ontario Provincial Police. They have jurisdiction in the small rural area where I live. Some municipalities have their own police force and if so that is who you should call.
Old September 27th, 2013, 07:32 AM

Bad things come in threes

A few weeks ago, Buddy was here again. We were getting our house washed, and Buddy was in the yard with the person who was working. This time, he was not alone. Two other dogs were with him. I didn't know who the other dogs were or where they came from, but watching them run around the house, do their business on the tree in our front yard, and just act crazy reminded me of the Bumpus dogs in "A Christmas Story" (funny movie; look it up on youtube). For a good part of the day it was like we were prisoners in our own house (and because the dogs were there, the cat did not go out). Mom finally called Animal Control, and I learned that Buddy's "friends" live up the road from us. And people have seen them go into a nearby hair salon (and not for mani-pedis!) We also live across the street from a nursing home, and Buddy has crossed the busy road to go "visit".

We got in contact with Buddy's owners, and they told us that they were going out of state to go hunting. The also told us, of course, that Buddy doesn't wear the collar that goes with the electric fence because "it's too tight", which was the excuse they gave when Buddy ran up to me the one day. The neighbors have had several dogs in the past, and they've all become one with the busy road we live on. I wanted to ask them, "What's more important: the safety of the dog, the safety of the neighbors, or the opening day of firearm deer season?"

After this, it's been quiet. Mom put Animal Control's phone number on her cell phone, and I have it too, since the last time Buddy visited. We haven't seen Buddy or his friends in the yard since, but the friends' owners have been notified. I was told that the friends were being penned up, and I hope one day that Buddy's owners will follow that example.
Old September 27th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Willing cat servant

I think the victim in all this is Buddy. Remember dogs are innocent creatures and there is not such a thing as a "bad dog" just bad, irresponsible, crappy owners.
The question to ask ourselves here is: What can be done about it without bringing Buddy harm but at the same time keeping us and our cat from harm?
Old February 25th, 2016, 01:25 PM

the end of an era

Today my family got some surprising news. Buddy died recently. (I'm sorry for not sounding more remorseful, but my family has never liked that dog, and we've all had our share of problems with him.) We haven't seen him for a long time, and we thought he'd be someplace warm. Not so. He spent all his time outside or in the neighbor's garage, and my dad said he's been having seizures due to the electric fence collar he wore.

Now that Buddy's gone, my family and I won't have to be afraid of going out in warm weather.
Old February 25th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

No wonder the poor dog was going after people he was being abused and it looks like no one reported it being outside in the cold all winter . Labrador are friendly dogs and used for service dogs a lot of this reason . There are no bad dogs only bad owners !
Old February 25th, 2016, 03:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Poor Buddy, though. He was the victim in all of this. I hope his owners don't get another dog...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 10th, 2016, 10:34 AM

Everything about this story is sad. Usually Labradors are friendly dogs, but any dog can become aggressive if treated poorly.

Also, I know this is an old thread, but to the OP-never scream and run from an aggressive dog. Be calm, move slowly. Don't do anything to make the dog more excited and eager to go after you.
Old May 11th, 2016, 02:15 AM

If I was a dog owner and I wasn't aware that my dog was biting my neighbours, I'd want someone to knock on my door and tell me so I could do something about it. Obviously, unless you are irresponsible and without a care like this guy is, you'd be more than aware of what your dog was up to and would have treated it better anyway so it didn't end up that way. Its just sad how these people end up having pets in their possession that they do not look after. The Police should be charging the owner, forcing him to do what's right by the dog and the people in the surrounding community. They should not be suggesting that the dog be shot.
Old October 25th, 2016, 12:19 PM

When I screamed, I think it scared him and he ran back home.