Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old March 28th, 2013, 08:56 PM

Unhappy I need advice

Ok, so I recently got this beautiful puppy he is a Chihuahua. I knew getting was going to be a huge responsibility but I didn't realize how much work. He cry's if he doesn't see me. If he is left with my boyfriend while I'm out running errands he just cry's at the door the whole time. I need to go back to work pretty soon and I also have school coming up in May. So I guess, I have been feeling guilty because I have been thinking of finding him a new home. But, this breaks my heart in to pieces. I have thought about crate training him. but, I hate the thought of leaving him in a crate all day. I'm not sure if he will bark and cry either way if left alone. I feel horrible right now and would love any kind of feedback to help me!!! TY
Old March 28th, 2013, 09:02 PM

How long have you had your puppy for? How old is he?

Puppies are definitely a big responsibility and it's pretty easy (and common) to feel overwhelmed - hang in there

You'll find mixed views on crate training - my dog(s) were crate trained until I could trust them to be out and about on their own. I had peace of mind knowing they couldn't get into anything while I wasn't at home to supervise.
Old March 28th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Will someone be able to take the puppy out to pee during the day? He may cry if he has to pee or get hungry. It would help to put something of your that has your smell on it in the crate . I would not leave his collar on if he going to left alone all day, it could get caught on something in crate. The crate should never be used as punishment , my dog will take nap in his , I have a dog bed in it and Marty will go into during the day to sleep.
Old March 29th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Sounds like separation anxiety to me.

here's an article and an audio podcast that we recorded with the fabulous tenderfoot training who help out on our site regularly.

Article http://www.pets.ca/dogs/articles/dog...ation-anxiety/

podcast
http://www.pets.ca/blog/pet-podcast/...foot-training/

Hope that may help - Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 29th, 2013, 01:57 PM

Yes sounds like your puppy has a bit of separation anxiety, is he still very young? I can relate to feeling guilty, when we first started leaving our puppy alone he would cry like something was crushing him, but it doesnt last forever, once they learn the routine.

I also wasnt sure about using a create but, to him that is now his safe place, even though now we leave the door open he will not sleep at night if his bed is not there. I also used the bach flower remedies with him for a while to help him with his anxiety/fear with great results too. Also, both of my dogs are very small, so I always leave training pads for them, because you just never know, if we are running late or something happens and dont make it home right on time to let them out they can have another option, since their bladder is so small.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old March 29th, 2013, 07:47 PM

Wink Puppy Love

Ty all so much for the tips!!! Marley is going on 4 months so he is def. still learning all kinds of things. I have had so many mixed emotions on getting rid of him, but I really think crate training him will be my best bet. I just cant imagine giving him away, I will be a blubbering mess. He is my side kick right now because I'm home all day with him. He does sleep with me as well, probably not the best habit I have created with him. But, the good thing is that Marley does have a dog house and also a very small crate ( more like one you would take him to the vets in) I leave it open in the kitchen and he goes in it a lot so maybe he wont have as hard of a time with the crate training than I think, as he does like his little crate. If and when I had to leave him alone, I will have my mom and friends come over to take him out to pee and to check on him! I love this lil' guy so much. He has me so wrapped around his paw.* hehehe* Thank you all so much!!!!! [/SIZE]
Old March 29th, 2013, 08:40 PM

I went on the website you gave me and listened to the audio, It was so very helpful!! I plan to try it out and find him the right crate and practice the method. I actually feel a bit relieved and feel that this may work out and I can keep him and also get back to having a life again!!!!!! so happy for you feedback!!!!!! thank you so much
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. You know we love pics....
Old March 31st, 2013, 09:01 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley&me View Post
I went on the website you gave me and listened to the audio, It was so very helpful!! I plan to try it out and find him the right crate and practice the method. I actually feel a bit relieved and feel that this may work out and I can keep him and also get back to having a life again!!!!!! so happy for you feedback!!!!!! thank you so much
Glad it helped - that website I gave you...is THIS site, lol.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 31st, 2013, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley&me View Post
Ty all so much for the tips!!! Marley is going on 4 months so he is def. still learning all kinds of things. I have had so many mixed emotions on getting rid of him, but I really think crate training him will be my best bet. I just cant imagine giving him away, I will be a blubbering mess. He is my side kick right now because I'm home all day with him. He does sleep with me as well, probably not the best habit I have created with him. But, the good thing is that Marley does have a dog house and also a very small crate ( more like one you would take him to the vets in) I leave it open in the kitchen and he goes in it a lot so maybe he wont have as hard of a time with the crate training than I think, as he does like his little crate. If and when I had to leave him alone, I will have my mom and friends come over to take him out to pee and to check on him! I love this lil' guy so much. He has me so wrapped around his paw.* hehehe* Thank you all so much!!!!! [/SIZE]
Cesar Millan give some tips on letting dogs sleeping bed with their owners.
http://www.cesarsway.com/cesarstips/...g-Arrangements