Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 19th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Ontario Rabies Vaccine Bait Drops

http://news.ontario.ca/mnr/en/2011/0...tarians-1.html

Oops. Edited because I had 2010 info up. Will continue to search for MNR release because a friend has received info on a bait drop this fall of 2011.

Update: OK, good now, found the 2011 info. Friend has received note of caution to watch that off leash dogs do not eat or disturb the bait. The bait should not hurt most dogs if eaten.

Please check the link.

ETA: http://www.bayshorebroadcasting.ca/n...p?NewsID=27806

Last edited by Longblades; September 19th, 2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:44 AM

It's too bad there is no way to ask for a dose of this vaccine. I used to have a skunk liing in our back yard (he moved down the street) and I would happily have dropped a dose in front of his hole. I bet there are others who would also be willing to drop near known living areas. Much more efficient that random scattering.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
It's too bad there is no way to ask for a dose of this vaccine. I used to have a skunk liing in our back yard (he moved down the street) and I would happily have dropped a dose in front of his hole. I bet there are others who would also be willing to drop near known living areas. Much more efficient that random scattering.
The map indicates where airdrops take place and it's a large area but mostly over large public areas like county forest. It would not be efficient to hand place there; unless you had volunteers who knew where each densite/home/hollow tree was. At this tiime of year some of those critters will not be staying so close to the den as now the youngsters are out moving around more. The trial years ago was on farmer's fields with their permission. A friend of the OH was one of the first farmers to allow the drops to test on his property. He worked closely with MNR to monitor baits. Hand placing is done in urban areas, as shown on the map.

What I wonder is, How come oral bait vaccine works for those critters and we have to go to the Vet to get shots for our pets? And, is the shot my dog gets protecting from the fox/skunk strain of rabies and the raccoon strain? Raccoon rabies is relatively new in Ontario and supposedly has not been reported in over 5 years.

Re. your resident skunk. Call your local MNR and ask them. The worst they can say is no.
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:41 PM

Since this is a pet forum.. I'm curious is there any info on what happens if your dog happens to eat these? Is there a possibility of a dog finding eating a few and becoming sick?
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Obviously nobody is looking at the links provided. The dropped bait should not hurt your dog but it does suggest you contact your Vet if your dog does eat one. It doesn't say anything about cats or other animals.

The reason bait is wapped in crinkly cellophane type stuff is wild animals, like many of our pets, have learned tasty human food is often found in discared candy bar, potato chip and other wrappers. Cats are not so likely to be tempted but you never know.
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

they use to drop them in the bush across from me years ago, they haven't for a long time now