Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Closed Thread

Old November 7th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Zoo operator

I have subjective reasons to want to bann or euthenize any violent dog. Pitbulls have been proven by some courts that they are a danger to society..I have no desire to own one and am afraid of many kinds of dogs due to my experiences. I sympathise with you loving dog owners whom this is affecting, but for someone like myself I am grateful for this kind of protection. Its too bad I am afraid...perhaps those who decided to pass this law were afraid too?or was there basis for this decision?
I would love to say all dog owners are responsible and that that would solve the problem , but no one can make a person be responsible...unless its after the fact ; so if banning violent tendant dogs was the answer I guess thats how it is...I havent seen any other reasonable solution...no one even likes muzzling their dog...so I guess they have to bann certain ones in order to make people be responsible. a few bad cookies ruined it for them all...isnt that always the way it is. I wish I wasnt so afraid of dogs but once you are bitten - It s hard to not be afraid.
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Rottie owner and lover

not true, I was bit by a shepherd...I am not scared of shepherds. I realize what you say, a couple bad apples ruin it...That is just that a couple. I will not stop loving a breed because of a bad apple.....
I am not scared. I am more scared of walking down a street alone, afraid of being attacked by a human, not a dog.
Shall we ban the human race as well. We have killed alot more than any one breed of dog.
Well that does not work, so why would banning the pitts, and rottweilers help...It will just allow the irresponsible owners to start owning lab and goldens( just naming 2 popular dogs, no offense to be taken)
Have them do the biting...Of wait have to ban them too. So what after that, start going after the small dogs....
Either way, banning one breed, does nothing.....Making rules, following by the rules, and being responsible will change things...

So think about what you are saying...

Last edited by Rottielover; November 7th, 2006 at 08:07 PM.
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
WHO in the world breeds an animal to kill and then try to keep them as a pet!?
Many people have breed dogs to be aggressive towards certain animals, yet they are kept as pets. Most terriers were bred to be aggressive towards, or attack and kill other animals yet they're not aggressive towards humans. Sitehounds were all bred to run after and kill small animals, yet they're not people aggressive.

Quote:
I agree I should not single out one breed, I was just commenting that the particular breed we are discussing here is banned in my home town.
And no offense, but do you even know what a pit bull is?

The American Pit Bull Terrier is often referred to as just "pitbull" for short. The APBT should NEVER be aggressive towards humans, this is a breed fault.

If you'd like to educate yourself on the APBT you can go to this page and click "terrier" then go to American Pit Bull Terrier.
http://www.ukcdogs.com/RegUKCBreeds.htm

The American Staffordshire Terrier is often referred to as "pitbull" for short also. To make it complicated AmStaffs can be be duel registered as both an AmStaff and an APBT. However a dog that's already registered as an APBT can't be registered as an AmStaff by the AKC.

You can read about AmStaffs here:
http://www.akc.org/breeds/american_s...rier/index.cfm
and here:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanstaffordshire.htm

-----

Then there's the American Bulldog which is often mistaken for a "pitbull":
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanbulldog.htm

There's also many other breeds that have nothing to do with dogfighting that look just like what people would consider "pitbulls"

In a technical sense a pitbull can refer to a dog that has been bred and trained to fight other dogs. In this case pitbull doesn't refer to a breed, but to a dog that has been trained to fight other dogs. Dogs that are trained for dogfighting don't adhere to a breed standard and they're not a breed, they're just dogs that have been bred and trained to fight. What you also may not know is people that breed fighting dogs often don't breed their dogs to be human aggressive. They want the dogs to attack other dogs, not THEM or their family.

So are you saying we should ban fighting dogs? Dog fighting is already illegal, so what is the point of persecuting certain breeds that aren't even bred to fight?
Bans on pitbulls are singling out ANY dog that so much as LOOKS like an AmStaff, APBT, American Bulldog, and many other breeds.

As far as dogs that kill cats, ALL terriers have the ability to hunt down small animals and kill them, that's what they were bred for.

Pit bull IS NOT A BREED. You don't even know what you're suggesting a ban on. Your comments are out of fear, not educated knowledge or factual information. Making laws out of fear and misinformation is a BAD route to go, especially when the laws persecute certain groups of people, or a group of animals that aren't even well defined.

You can't arrest people that look a certain way just because other people that look like that have commited crimes, THAT would be racism. Banning dogs that look a certain way, euthanizing them, making them wear muzzles, etc., and harrassing people because their dogs look a certain way is not much better IMO.
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:09 PM

This thread has run its course and will now be closed.
Closed Thread