Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old January 23rd, 2010, 09:02 AM
chronically insane.

Can the PSPCA be saved? No-kill leader posting horrifying save rates.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/loca...be_saved_.html

Quote:
FOR PHILADELPHIA'S homeless animals, the hits - hard ones - keep on coming.

As the Animal Care and Control Team, operated by the Pennsylvania SPCA, tries to claw its way back to the animal life-saving levels achieved by its predecessor, the PSPCA has endured a death duel between two leaders, while financial collapse looms. If the PSPCA closes, who will protect animals and prosecute cruelty?

In the year since ACCT took over the city animal-control contract from the Philadelphia Animal Care and Control Association, the number of dogs and cats killed by the city has gone up, not down.

After posting poor save rates from May through October - hitting bottom in August with an awful 24 percent - ACCT worked its way back to a 55 percent save rate, dogs and cats combined, in November. (The save rate is higher for dogs than for cats, which sank to a horrifying 17 percent in August.)
Post edited by Admin

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009

Last edited by marko; January 23rd, 2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:44 AM

That's a lot better than here. Last Saturday I visited the SPCA and they had homed 24 animals this year, and euthanized 39. They said most were euthanized because of injury or aggression, but then they went on to say that all dogs showing "too much interest" in cats would be euthanized. I thought that was rather unfair.

There was a large, young Bully breed (Pit Bull/Am Bulldog maybe?) that had a cone on her head and was listed as not being available. She was GORGEOUS! I wanted to take her home. Thinking she had just been spayed and would be available soon I asked about her. They said she was showing "too much interest" in the cats, and would probably be euthanized if she didn't show improvement in the next few days. I asked why she had the cone. They said they took her to the college vets to practise spaying. I was LIVID!!! Why would they put a dog through the pain and stress of surgery who will likely just be euthanized even beforre the sutures heal when there are THOUSANDS of pets in the area that HAVE HOMES or are adoptable that could actually BENEFIT from spaying????

Oh I was SOOO mad. I wrote a letter to the shelter, and their response was rather flacid. Who controls the SPCA shelters? Is there someone I can write who will give a darn?
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:22 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
That's a lot better than here. Last Saturday I visited the SPCA and they had homed 24 animals this year, and euthanized 39. They said most were euthanized because of injury or aggression, but then they went on to say that all dogs showing "too much interest" in cats would be euthanized. I thought that was rather unfair.

There was a large, young Bully breed (Pit Bull/Am Bulldog maybe?) that had a cone on her head and was listed as not being available. She was GORGEOUS! I wanted to take her home. Thinking she had just been spayed and would be available soon I asked about her. They said she was showing "too much interest" in the cats, and would probably be euthanized if she didn't show improvement in the next few days. I asked why she had the cone. They said they took her to the college vets to practise spaying. I was LIVID!!! Why would they put a dog through the pain and stress of surgery who will likely just be euthanized even beforre the sutures heal when there are THOUSANDS of pets in the area that HAVE HOMES or are adoptable that could actually BENEFIT from spaying????

Oh I was SOOO mad. I wrote a letter to the shelter, and their response was rather flacid. Who controls the SPCA shelters? Is there someone I can write who will give a darn?
That is just sick what they have done to that poor girl and what they are doing because of to much interest in cats.thank dog jag is with me and not in there.i hope you can find someone in your spca or controls them that you can contact about this.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
chronically insane.

Hey, my post is gone! I wasn't even being that critical compared to some of the other things that are said here The other stuff I took right from the PSPCA. I don't have a problem with the PSPCA.. I have a problem with the fact that their director has sat around bashing anyone and everyone who didn't agree with her (it's all available online) and now can't even handle her own job.. and all this is not good for the animals of course.

Sure, it's still not as bad as some places, but the numbers were going up before new management took over and it's a shame.

Myka- where I live we generally spay/neuter an animal even if it may not be adoptable. It's just common practice to s/n anything in the *hopes* we can rehab it and get it a home.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009