Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 31st, 2008, 12:32 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh I dream of winning the lottery and opening my own rescue, no cages except for the sick and recouperating, I would build cat friendly rooms .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
I agree with L4H- My uncle has 4 english setters, 2 gordon setters and 3 beagles, they are hunting/house dogs and were obviously bred to hunt. He introduced a cat into the house, i think you would be able to too
Do you know how he did it, babymomma? I would love to get some advice from someone who's introduced a new cat into a household of adult dogs with huge prey-drive! And then I'd have to convince hubby and probably go on tranquilizers for the transition

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:36 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh somebody please help Hazel

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:38 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

A large dog crate hazel! For the cat, not the dogs. Works wonders!!!!!!!!! Everyone can look without getting hurt. And then one at a time intros.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:39 PM
Senior Contributor

He kept a room of the house just for the cat(Door closed at all times) . And worked witheach dog one at a time for a week or so. Then he worked with 2 dogs at a time (And so on and so forth) Of course this took course over a few weeks, but it was SOOOOO worth it! Eventually they all coexsisted in peace There may be more to it than that, Ill ask him next time i see him.. But i think you can make it work if you really wanted it to , Especially with all the cat experts on this bord to help you!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:42 PM
-

I think you can do it Hazel with the one on one introductions at first and kitty is an inside only cat.
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
He kept a room of the house just for the cat(Door closed at all times) . And worked witheach dog one at a time for a week or so. Then he worked with 2 dogs at a time (And so on and so forth) Of course this took course over a few weeks, but it was SOOOOO worth it! Eventually they all coexsisted in peace There may be more to it than that, Ill ask him next time i see him.. But i think you can make it work if you really wanted it to , Especially with all the cat experts on this bord to help you!
Wouldn't he get lonely locked in a room all by himself with all the excitement on the other side of the door?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
A large dog crate hazel! For the cat, not the dogs. Works wonders!!!!!!!!! Everyone can look without getting hurt. And then one at a time intros.
hmm...we got plenty of those...

So if he's out of the room, he's in the kennel? Hmmmmm....

Old October 31st, 2008, 12:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I think you can do it Hazel with the one on one introductions at first and kitty is an inside only cat.
What if it turns out we have a cat-hater in the Pack. I'd hate to have to bring him back to the shelter :sad:

I have my doubts about Brier. He's a hard-headed little so-and-so with delusions of grandeur at this age...

Old October 31st, 2008, 12:45 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Kitties don't mind being alone, especially if there is too much excitement on the other side of the door. They like to feel safe and secure. Could you work out a foster to adopt with the shelter maybe?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 31st, 2008, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Wouldn't he get lonely locked in a room all by himself with all the excitement on the other side of the door?
Dont they pretty much sleep all day Im sure that if you spent some time with him in the day, maybe curl up with a good book or play with him it should be fine.. And he'll be under a little stress in his new enviroment regardless, maybe he will need some "Alone time"..

Im sorry im not much help I have very little experiance to work with... Ive never had a kitty of my own:sad:
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
hmm...we got plenty of those...

So if he's out of the room, he's in the kennel? Hmmmmm....
I can't tell you the number of times I thank heavens I have my crates. They have come so in handy. The cat can sit in there safely and watch the dogs. It worked here when Sammy came in last winter and with Keesha. But Keesha is tiny. They think she's one of them, she just has a strange meow.

I think it would totally work. It may take an extended time but I can see it working.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Kitties don't mind being alone, especially if there is too much excitement on the other side of the door. They like to feel safe and secure. Could you work out a foster to adopt with the shelter maybe?

If I go to the shelter and say "I have 8 unproven dogs and I'd like to foster that kitteh" what do you think they'll say? :sad: Actually, I offered to foster a dog that we brought in last year and they never got back to me...probably because, as Frenchy once told me, that they figure someone with 8 dogs can't possibly have the time to give another animal its fair due...

Old October 31st, 2008, 12:54 PM
150% PRO S/N

Hazel, no matter what you decide no one is going to think less of you. You saved this little sweetie and gave him a great restart on his life. Re-life if you like. We all love you for what you do with your doggies. Now we love you more for saving this big boy and giving him a chance.

Old October 31st, 2008, 12:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Hazel, no matter what you decide no one is going to think less of you. You saved this little sweetie and gave him a great restart on his life. Re-life if you like. We all love you for what you do with your doggies. Now we love you more for saving this big boy and giving him a chance.

Well said......I agree totally.
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

ME TOO!!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I think it's going to boil down to how afraid I am that kitty would come to a bad end. For most things, I trust the Pack implicitly. I have to try to decide if they're trustworthy this way...

We have had parakeets with setters...only two dogs at a time, though. Occasionally they'd end up nose to beak on the floor...always a bit tense for hazel, but there were no accidents Most of our dogs were cowed by the bird And Kitty's got claws to teach lessons.

But if I'm on edge, I'm afraid the dogs will pick up on it, too... :sad:

Guess I've got a lot of thinking to do...there are at least 3 more weeks to think about it before Kitty is well, neutered, and healed from the surgery.

Old October 31st, 2008, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, I'm not one to talk anybody into helping out a little one in need, but I think you did what was best for him.

Maybe if you'd accustomed your pack from the time they were puppies to see cats as just another part of the pack, I'd say different, but you have so many to watch out for. If it was just two, I'd say give it a try, but 8, I think it would be hard to really know what they'd all do for sure. You know your dogs best and if you aren't sure, then maybe that's just your inner Hazel telling you it might not be a good idea. I'm sorry, I don't like to be a downer, but I'd be afraid of something happening to the little guy when you weren't looking.

I think he will find a good home. What you did was more than most people would do.

And L4H, I'm with you. My dream is to win the lottery. I don't even ask to win a huge amount. Just enough to be able to buy myself a nice little house, with a nice yard that I can make into my own little kitty sanctuary. I'd at least be able to foster some cats and give them a safe place until they found their forever home, and I might even be able to have a dog or two.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

My inner hazel! Probably TDFO knocking some sense into madame hazel!

I suspect you're right, AG...the consequences of a lapse of attention on my part would be disastrous... :sad:

Old October 31st, 2008, 01:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ah, yes...

Back to sanity...

I think you're right, AG. I just have to keep Brier in mind to realize what a bad idea I'm contemplating...

Old October 31st, 2008, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
My inner hazel! Probably TDFO knocking some sense into madame hazel!

I suspect you're right, AG...the consequences of a lapse of attention on my part would be disastrous... :sad:
What's TDFO?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old October 31st, 2008, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I wasn't planning on getting another cat, but I'd be willing to be your back-up plan if you do decide to give it a try and the Pack doesn't adjust well. Kitty is too special not to have his forever home!!! I don't have eight dogs, but I do have two and had to do several doggie intros with Billy during his 18 years. He outlasted many of them as I adopted a lot of seniors for a while there. Billy never did like dogs in general, but he learned to tolerate them and the dogs learned (Eventually, LOL) to leave him alone. It takes a lot of time and patience, but it's definitely doable. Some of them took up to a year of training to learn to live together, but it did always work for me. If you have verbal control over the dogs and if the kitty has some safe places to escape to (up high or behind a baby gate, through a cat door, etc), it's definitely worth a try. Start out with kitty in a kennel so the dogs can sniff to their hearts content. Do that for a while each day and then put kitty in a safe, separate room otherwise. Cats do just fine on their own as they sleep for 18 hours a day anyway. Give him some cuddle time and he's happy! Eventually, the pack will learn that the kitty in the cage is part of the routine and accept it. From there, I did one-on-one intros with my holding the cat and letting them sniff each other. Again, did that for a while and then did everyone together with my holding the cat. Put the dogs in a sit command and let go of the cat, making sure the cat has escape access. If chase ensues, some very adament "LEAVE IT's, LOL, come in handy. Always, always, always supervise, especially with a pack mentality. You may have to always keep kitty somewhat separate and probably always separate when you are not home. But it's really not that big of a deal. Everyone learns the routine and is safe and happy.
Old October 31st, 2008, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Ah, yes...

Back to sanity...

I think you're right, AG. I just have to keep Brier in mind to realize what a bad idea I'm contemplating...
Good points by AG as well. I've done up to three dogs and cat, but never eight. Well, you know what is best and you can't feel bad about it either way. You have SAVED this precious kitty's life!!! You are his hero!
Old October 31st, 2008, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley14 View Post
I wasn't planning on getting another cat, but I'd be willing to be your back-up plan if you do decide to give it a try and the Pack doesn't adjust well. Kitty is too special not to have his forever home!!! I don't have eight dogs, but I do have two and had to do several doggie intros with Billy during his 18 years. He outlasted many of them as I adopted a lot of seniors for a while there. Billy never did like dogs in general, but he learned to tolerate them and the dogs learned (Eventually, LOL) to leave him alone. It takes a lot of time and patience, but it's definitely doable. Some of them took up to a year of training to learn to live together, but it did always work for me. If you have verbal control over the dogs and if the kitty has some safe places to escape to (up high or behind a baby gate, through a cat door, etc), it's definitely worth a try. Start out with kitty in a kennel so the dogs can sniff to their hearts content. Do that for a while each day and then put kitty in a safe, separate room otherwise. Cats do just fine on their own as they sleep for 18 hours a day anyway. Give him some cuddle time and he's happy! Eventually, the pack will learn that the kitty in the cage is part of the routine and accept it. From there, I did one-on-one intros with my holding the cat and letting them sniff each other. Again, did that for a while and then did everyone together with my holding the cat. Put the dogs in a sit command and let go of the cat, making sure the cat has escape access. If chase ensues, some very adament "LEAVE IT's, LOL, come in handy. Always, always, always supervise, especially with a pack mentality. You may have to always keep kitty somewhat separate and probably always separate when you are not home. But it's really not that big of a deal. Everyone learns the routine and is safe and happy.
Smiley it would be great if you could take this little guy in. Looks like you've had your guys hanging around cats and have lots of practice.

Old October 31st, 2008, 07:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

If I had a big house with lots of places for kitty to hide, I'd be even more inclined to try it... But there are no hideyholes here :sad: Everywhere you go, there's a dog...'cept in the spare room that still has unpacked boxes from our move (4 yrs ago! ) in it. I could use that as a kitty den, but there's no place to hide in the rest of the house. Most of it is open concept and even that area is small. I actually walked around this afternoon and tried to look at it like a cat would...and I keep coming up with "too small, no escape, a cat would easily be trapped here..." :sad:

Hmmmm...but Smiley, maybe Petey and Belle would like a new kitty?

Old October 31st, 2008, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, u did a wonderful thing with the kittn. But I really don't think it would be safe for him with your 8 dogs. Things can happen so quickly and the cat could be goners before u had a chance to get to him and rescue him. Think how terrible you would feel if that happened.

One dog could get upset with the cat and the others might follow and the cat wouldn't stand a chance. Even if u had cat trees or shelves on the wall for it to climb, it would only take one time where it couldn't get to safety and it would be over.

Willie was raised with a pek/pug and one day the pug (5 years later) was in a bad mood. Willie walked by the dog and the dog grabbed Willie. I was in the kitchen at the time and yelled and dived at the dog to let Willie go. Luckily Willie is a very furry cat and wasn't hurt too badly, but the dog only weighed 13lbs. Imagine if he had weighed more and was bigger.

Debbie

Do you know any friends that might be willing to adopt him? That way u could see him when u go to visit.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old October 31st, 2008, 08:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
What's TDFO?
One of my entourage of personalities! It's me, hazel, madame hazel and TDFO (Two dogs facing off), who gets her name from my first avatar: Name:  avatar.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  3.0 KB

The whole multiple personality thing started as a joke, but I must say I've gotten used to having them around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
I really don't think it would be safe for him with your 8 dogs. Things can happen so quickly and the cat could be goners before u had a chance to get to him and rescue him. Think how terrible you would feel if that happened.
That's exactly my fear. With 8, it's just too dicey. I only have two hands to grab collars with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Do you know any friends that might be willing to adopt him? That way u could see him when u go to visit.
I've been trying to convince a couple of cat people I know to take him in. No go so far... :sad: But I haven't given up quite yet.

Old October 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley14 View Post
Smiley14 That is such a kind offer
Old October 31st, 2008, 09:10 PM
150% PRO S/N

Awww Smiley, that is great!!! Looks like Petey and Belle may be getting a new housemate!

Old October 31st, 2008, 09:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Well, Smiley? Think you're ready for a new kitty? No pressure... I know it's one thing to make an offer to be Plan B and another to become Plan A unexpectedly.

Actually, I'm not sure the shelter would agree to it since I think they like to adopt out locally...but if you think you'd like to give it a shot, just PM me!